Gear Advice: Tarptent Scarp 1 Ultra VS Double Rainbow Ultra

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gear Advice: Tarptent Scarp 1 Ultra VS Double Rainbow Ultra

Postby Huond0203 » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 9:47 am

Hi all,
I was looking at getting a new tent and am torn between the Tarptent Scarp 1 Ultra and the Double Rainbow Ultra. I do all my walking in Tas, particularly around Central Plateau, Arthurs and other SW Mountains in both summer and shoulder seasons.

Has anyone had experience with these two tents and the Ultra Material?

Cheers
Huond0203
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Gear Advice: Tarptent Scarp 1 Ultra VS Double Rainbow Ul

Postby Neo » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 8:33 pm

No but I am loving my new Tarptent Moment DW Li. Pretty sure anything they design is fantastic so maybe you should get both!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 8:37 pm

Ultra material, no. But I still think the Scarp is as close as it gets to the perfect single person tent design.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Franco » Thu 07 Sep, 2023 8:51 pm

If it is for just yourself I would suggest the Scarp 1.
As a bonus if by any chance you want to later extend your seasons a bit, you can get the X poles for the Scarp and turn it into a pretty good 4 season tent.
Ultra is a new type of laminate fabric so there is no extended user experience but TT tested the fabric for some time before commiting to it.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Huond0203 » Fri 08 Sep, 2023 7:32 am

Neo wrote:No but I am loving my new Tarptent Moment DW Li. Pretty sure anything they design is fantastic so maybe you should get both!

Don't even tempt me :D .
Huond0203
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bernieq » Sat 09 Sep, 2023 6:32 pm

I have both Scarp1 & Moment DW - both very good tents. MDW needs minimum 2 pegs (1 each end) but I carry 6 - for 2 crossed at each end (a lot of tension for just 1 peg imo) & 2 to guy out the arch-pole in high winds. For the Scarp1, 8 pegs. All up, the MDW is 300+g lighter.

Both have useable vestibules on each side, the Scarp's are slightly larger. The Scarp1 has a lot of room inside the inner; useful in *&%$#! wx. The MDW is more restricted but has enough room for gear - but be aware it is narrow at head & foot.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby headwerkn » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 8:51 am

We've got the Double Rainbow in DCF, not Ultra, but the design itself is excellent. Very easy to pitch, freestandingish option if you use hiking poles, tonnes of interior space for two bodies (square, not tapered), porch-able vestibules and very, very good in strong wind considering how light it is. Only real thing I consider a negative is the vestibules aren't super spacious when everything's zipped down in rain.
headwerkn

Postby myrtlegirl » Tue 03 Oct, 2023 11:16 am

I'm keen to see a Scarp1 up live and close - any members on here would could assist please? I'm in the south of Tas.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 03 Oct, 2023 11:43 am

myrtlegirl wrote:I'm keen to see a Scarp1 up live and close - any members on here would could assist please? I'm in the south of Tas.

I have an older one. There has been a slight remodelling since but no major changes. Also southern Tas, so PM me and we can set up a meeting somewhere convenient.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Osik » Tue 03 Oct, 2023 7:24 pm

I've owned a couple of tarptents, all silnylon though. two models of the moment, the first circa 2010 (single skin w condensation liner), the second (double wall) purchased early last year. Absolutely one of my favourite 3-season tents I've ever used & I've used my first one plenty in the high country in Tas. To be honest, even though the second is a better design think I preferred the first. Haven't used a scarp but have checked friend's tents out & if I still lived in Tassie there's every chance I'd own one.
Bought a double rainbow DW last year with the thought that it was light enough as a solo tent but enough room to take for 2, set it up in the backyard, really liked some aspects such as the headroom but just didn't love the overall design the same way I did the moment. Certainly didn't feel as sturdy either. Others may have different views. Anyhow sold it & I suspect the new owner is loving it.
Definitely reccomend checking out the tents in person if you can, though if not I guess YouTube videos aren't a bad substitute.
Sorry can't help you with the Ultra material, be interesting to see the longer term reviews.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby markg » Thu 05 Oct, 2023 9:53 pm

How do the Tarptents and others like it for example ZPacks stand up to strong winds? iNn such places as the Vic high country ??
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Fri 06 Oct, 2023 6:41 am

markg wrote:How do the Tarptents and others like it for example ZPacks stand up to strong winds? iNn such places as the Vic high country ??

My Scarp 1 got pummelled for 36 hours at High Moor in the Western Arthurs, without the optional crossing poles. It stood up very well. I'm not confident my Notch Li would have faired so well, but that's most probably just user error. I don't know if a proficient user could stop the struts sliding inwards on slick wet tent platforms.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 06 Oct, 2023 7:36 am

markg wrote:How do the Tarptents and others like it for example ZPacks stand up to strong winds? iNn such places as the Vic high country ??

My Scarp stood up to some 40 hours at Eldon Peak in vile condiitons - wind at Mt Read was measured at 94kph, it was probably more where we were. They're solid little tents.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Fri 06 Oct, 2023 5:55 pm

I haven't seen a ZPacks shelter that is even close to a Scarp 1.
Take a look at this thread :https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/s01w36/tarptent_popularity_in_the_british_isles/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment