TP and Wipes

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

TP and Wipes

Postby Cheesypigs » Wed 13 Feb, 2008 3:40 pm

I have found the sorbent wet wipes are much better than regular TP out and about.
Cheesypigs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: My Hiking bag (or my obsession with gear part 1)

Postby Joe » Wed 13 Feb, 2008 5:43 pm

KFC refresh-a-towles work for both ends and are individually packed so are good for keeping dry etc. It also gives you legit excuse to eat more of the chickeny goodness.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Postby corvus » Wed 13 Feb, 2008 7:04 pm

Hmmnn need to eat sh sorry bucket loads of KFC to get enough for a long weekender (unless you have a private access) much better to stay healthy and buy wipes, just ensure if you intend to use them in composting toilets that you get the "flushable" kind :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby corvus » Wed 13 Feb, 2008 7:06 pm

Gees here we go again on the poo type thread -- still we all do it and need to be responsible about how and where :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby prickle » Wed 13 Feb, 2008 7:51 pm

corvus wrote:Hmmnn need to eat sh sorry bucket loads of KFC to get enough for a long weekender (unless you have a private access) much better to stay healthy and buy wipes, just ensure if you intend to use them in composting toilets that you get the "flushable" kind :)

I've checked out the supermarkets for wipes ... most wipes are in largish plastic containers :roll: .. do you take the necessary number out and into a zip lock bag ?? or are there a particular brand that packs down OK?

Stuart
prickle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 13 Feb, 2008 8:23 pm

prickle wrote:
corvus wrote:Hmmnn need to eat sh sorry bucket loads of KFC to get enough for a long weekender (unless you have a private access) much better to stay healthy and buy wipes, just ensure if you intend to use them in composting toilets that you get the "flushable" kind :)

I've checked out the supermarkets for wipes ... most wipes are in largish plastic containers :roll: .. do you take the necessary number out and into a zip lock bag ?? or are there a particular brand that packs down OK?

Stuart

Baby wipes come in a variety of packaging, including huge zip-lock bags, as well as smaller plastic bags with hard plastic flip-open lids. Not sure how flushable or decomposable they are though.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby norts » Thu 14 Feb, 2008 7:47 am

Do wipes break down as easily as TP or do you carry them out?
I would assume wipes would take alot longer to break down if they were buried. Is this minimal impact bushwalking?
I have just camped at the old site of the Junction Creek hut. The fire last year has exposed all the old stuff that use to be bashed burned and buried. Lots of glass, batteries and tins.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 14 Feb, 2008 8:43 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Baby wipes come in a variety of packaging, including huge zip-lock bags, as well as smaller plastic bags with hard plastic flip-open lids. Not sure how flushable or decomposable they are though.

We used a resealable travel pack of "Wet Ones" on the OT for 7 days, for a daily "wash" (not for TP). I think there are 15 in the pack and they are reasonably large. So I rationed them out one per person/day between two of us. I have doubts about relative decomposability, although I suspect they would break down eventually. We carried them out, with all other rubbish, in a large dry bag double lined with garbage bags.

johnw
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joe » Thu 14 Feb, 2008 9:55 am

ask for an extra one and they generally throw in a handfull :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Re: TP and Wipes

Postby Cheesypigs » Thu 14 Feb, 2008 5:21 pm

The toilet paper section hs small travel packs about the size of a pocket pack of tissues, I think there are about 16 in the pack.

And I promise I won't derail any more thrads, even if they are my own lol
Cheesypigs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby prickle » Thu 14 Feb, 2008 5:26 pm

Cheesypigs wrote:The toilet paper section hs small travel packs about the size of a pocket pack of tissues, I think there are about 16 in the pack.

That's where I found them today .... had been looking in the baby section :roll: :roll: 10 to the pack cheap as

Stuart
prickle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Fri 15 Feb, 2008 4:57 pm

Sorry about the brand name but "Kleenex Flushable Fresh Wipes " are biodegadeable and safe for septic tanks .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Equipment