Macpac Microlite for solo walking

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac Microlite for solo walking

Postby corvus » Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:22 pm

I like the sound of the Microlite and having experience with Macpac tents I am keen to hear any feed back on this one please
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Macpac Microlite for solo walking

Postby tasadam » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 6:08 am

No experience but here's a linkto one so we can see it...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby norts » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 7:39 am

I have been using one for approx 4 years. It has never let me down. Gale force winds on High Moor, snow ( not alot but it sheds it fairly well, you need get up clear it from around the base as it builds up and slowly works it way up the sides, putting more tension on the tent) lots of rain.
Its not as good in hot weather, it doesn't have great ventilation. This also means condensation can be a problem. I always carry a Chux superwipe to wipe down my tent(inside and out after rain).
The floor is very solid but I still always use a footprint.
It has a fair sized vestibule, enough room for my pack and still have enough room to cook. If it is really bucketing down I unclip parts of the inner floor and make the vestibule bigger to get out of that wet gear.

it is not very high and I have heard that if you are over six foot it maybe a bit short. I am short, so I don't have any problems. My walking partner is about 5'10" and he is ok with his.

Pitching is fast and easy, the multi pitch system is good. I always keep the tent together. If you do it as per the instructions. I once watched someone trying to put it up without pegging down one end first, takes alot longer that way.When packing it up sometimes the internal get damp but it dries very quickly.
The tent actually fits in tent bag supplied without having to re fold it a dozen times. Even in a hurry when its raining I have never had to refold to get it into the bag ( which is not my experience with other tents).

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 7:47 am

norts wrote:I have been using ... never let me down...
Pitching is fast and easy... The tent actually fits in tent bag...
Roger

My bet is you just sold one to Corvus.... :lol:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Joe » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 8:51 am

norts wrote:...The tent actually fits in tent bag supplied without having to re fold it a dozen times. Even in a hurry when its raining I have never had to refold to get it into the bag...

He's just about sold it to me...i thought such a thing didnt exist. never have i found an easy to repack tent.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 9:04 am

taswaterfalls.com wrote:
norts wrote:...The tent actually fits in tent bag supplied without having to re fold it a dozen times. Even in a hurry when its raining I have never had to refold to get it into the bag...

He's just about sold it to me...i thought such a thing didnt exist. never have i found an easy to repack tent.

My tent (MacPac Olympus) is certainly easy to re-pack too. They made the bag so that it's loose around the thent, then built a strap around the middle of the bag (sewn on with a triangular strip of fabric to pull the entire length of the bag) to tighten it up. Much easier than trying to cram a tent into an already tight fitting bag.

With my old tent, I deliberately folded/rolled it so that it was a little longer than the bag, but therefore skinnier than the bag and easy to slide in. Then I could just squash in the end that was sticking out. Worked well for me for tents with tight fitting bags.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 9:26 am

Son of a Beach wrote:My tent (MacPac Olympus) is certainly easy to re-pack too. They made the bag so that it's loose around the thent, then built a strap around the middle of the bag (sewn on with a triangular strip of fabric to pull the entire length of the bag) to tighten it up. Much easier than trying to cram a tent into an already tight fitting bag.

They must have stolen that idea off DMH :lol: :wink: ...my oberon has the same triangle fabric then strap setup.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby johnw » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:10 pm

I've yet to own any Macpac gear but just a quick heads up re its availability. Seems the company has been sold/merged with Fairydown and the way their gear is sold about to change.

The discussion on the link below gives details:

http://groups.google.com/group/aus.bushwalking/browse_thread/thread/f2842379ecd7f212/2e94ed774b74ffff#2e94ed774b74ffff

johnw
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasadam » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:26 pm

johnw wrote:I've yet to own any Macpac gear but just a quick heads up re its availability. Seems the company has been sold/merged with Fairydown and the way their gear is sold about to change.

The discussion on the link below gives details:

http://groups.google.com/group/aus.bushwalking/browse_thread/thread/f2842379ecd7f212/2e94ed774b74ffff#2e94ed774b74ffff

johnw

I see this as very, very bad news.
Macpac currently have great products - products that you can rely on, as indeed you have to when you go remote.
The best tent I have found (and have been looking for one as good for some time now) is the Hallmark Snowcave. Hallmark got bought by Fairydown many years ago and the tent is no longer made.

If the products Macpac currently sell are hampered in any way regarding quality or availability, well, long live Mont, that's all I can say. Hope Fairydown keep their hands off Mont!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Joe » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:27 pm

Mate in the industry told me about this a while ago. Said that if i wanted any macpac gear I should buy up quick before the quality decline. he reckoned the merger wasn't a good thing.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 1:30 pm

Well the new owners of MacPac (as of 1st March next week), say that the "designer, development, suppliers, manufacturers, brand values and warranties" of MacPac will all be retained. I hope so, because I've certainly been very happy with the quality of the only MacPac item I've ever owned.

They also reckon that by distributing through their own retail channels, including their own physical shops, as well as a new internet shop, they'll be able to reduce the prices. That would obviously be a good thing, because their current prices are towards the top end. I've only got a MacPac tent because somebody else paid for it - I was looking at other brands at the time because I coudn't afford the MacPac.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 5:16 pm

Many thanks to all who responded to my request I am sold!! and will be looking to purchase very soon just need to find the best price and armed with the ownership change of MP this may be interesting.

In some respects the Sale of Macpac to Fairydown may not be a bad thing as MP were very selective as to who sold their gear therefore creating a bit of a monopoly with the subsequent "price control " so it may result in an overall price reduction.

The Fairydown gear I own ,Snow Cave tent and Navigator down sleeping bag are very good quality albeit they were made in NZ so I expect the quality control will remain the same ,WE /Sea to Summit gear is still good even though its made offshore these days as is most gear with a few small exceptions.
(edit Navigator S/Bag is a Kathmandu not Fairydown the FD I have is a Bushwaker I think I have too much gear :roll: )
Last edited by corvus on Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Fri 22 Feb, 2008 5:18 pm

Norts a special thanks to you for the detailed reply :D
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:53 am

Done the deed and purchased one today in Burnie for $450.00 :) think I will try it out tonight as the weather looks as if it will be wet and windy.
Last edited by corvus on Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 3:36 pm

right next door to my work and you didnt even pop in to say hi :cry:
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 4:49 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:right next door to my work and you didnt even pop in to say hi :cry:

Its kindoff interesting and will take some getting used to but I like it so far and will take an extra titan peg to keep me happy ,just need to measure the floor to order my Tyvek footprint as the floor of this tent is not for obvious reasons as HD as my other Macpac.

Sorry TW did not know you were on duty and Wife wanted to Purchase a new Vacuum Cleaner which we both were excited about NOT so had to keep moving, jees these things are more expensive than BW gear and just say that my trip to Burnie was good for the economy.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 6:50 pm

where do you source your tyvec? I'm keen to get some as footprint to the oberon...don't need a lot. Its funny actually, I looked out of work at one stage today and thought i recognized your wife...but being that it was a good 10 years ago that I last saw her I discounted it as being highly unlikely.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 6:59 pm

G'day Norts ,
Are there any tricks usefull in setting up this tent ,everything seem straight forward yet the door end of the fly seems to be considerably higher from the ground than the other,also 9 pegs I feel is short one and I will be taking an extra peg with me ,jees it seems so small ,I guess thats what you get with 1.5 kg :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby norts » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:18 pm

There should be 10 pegs, 6 for the fly and 4 for the stays. I peg out the fly ( 2 pegs) on the opposite end to the end you feed the pole through and then feed the pole through. Then peg out the rest of the fly, I then adjust the tension straps on the floor.
It is small but you get use to it. Definitely need to be organised when you are in it.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:30 pm

They only give you 9 pegs now
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Sat 23 Feb, 2008 8:19 pm

corvus wrote:They only give you 9 pegs now

Well its either that or Rodney has come up with a rather novel way of cutting costs at ttao :P
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:08 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:where do you source your tyvec? I'm keen to get some as footprint to the oberon

I sourced my Tyvek from http://www.GoodlingOutdoor.com as they sell the unprinted stuff and you can order what you want for .30 us cents per square foot ,otherwise keep a lookout at new building sites using it and try to buy from them .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Sun 24 Feb, 2008 5:21 pm

Microlite inside out seam seal all went well till missus covus and I attempted to re attach the tent to the fly in high wind
we ended up carking ourselves with laughter at our five attemps to do so after a nice bottle pino grigo.(should I say during)
The moral of the story is take out the pole and its a doddle just put toggle A into toggle B wiggle the rest and voila you have it ,ie ererect it from flat !! :D
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 6:40 pm

Had a chat to James at TTAO last night he was saying the microlight only comes with 9 pegs. Also ordered some tyvek of old mate that you linked...for $10 delivered cant complain...most local builders wouldnt bother for under a tenner.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 8:37 pm

G'day TWF,
You will get an email advising that the postage will be more than 0.04 US cents per ft 2 (and asking the exact size you want) ,it will be well under $10.00 US slow or just over if you need it Priority . My last lot cost me around $20.00AU so I expect this one to be the same but good clean white both sides and really really crackly when new :)
Sorry I should have mentioned this when speaking about this site but it is still the cheapest I can find without trailing the building sites and useing printed stuff.
P.S. did you see the Microlite for sale on site for $125.00
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 8:58 pm

at ttao? no didnt see that. I already have tent...so spent time in there perving on fly fishing gear. I car pool with bloke that works there...so i spend fair bit of time each night perving on thier stock. i thought the tyvek was too good to be true...no email yet...still i dont have time to bother builders...so the price is *&%$#! good all same :D

edit: (sorry for ot thread jack) golly gosh the swear filter on word that " *&%$#! " replaces gives me irrits....if the now former prime minister in all his conservative glory can say it I'm sure no-one will get knickers in a twist about it being said on here :P
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Wed 27 Feb, 2008 4:53 pm

No not ttao our site in the marketplace
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby slick41st » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 8:12 am

I've had a microlite for years - not a bad tent, a little tight. As with all Macpacs so far the quality is excellent - especially in the floor.

But I've been using this Holleberg Atko for a few years now, and it is now my preferred light option (but is expensive): http://www.moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_akto.php

For shorter, good weather trips I use a Salewa Micra, slightly heavier but heaps more room.
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby SurferShane » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 12:08 am

I have an older model micro light. It’s not a bad tent as far as the integral pitch is concerned. The biggest use I have for it is taking the outer only as an emergency shelter when I intend to sleep in huts. The integral pitch is also great for putting up the tent in rainy conditions. Quality wise the tent has held up very well.

Otherwise, I find the tent a little too cramped to be functional. I have to admit that I would be happy to update to one of those lightweight tunnel style tents that give you a lot more space and headroom around the entrance.
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MountainMule » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 1:39 pm

I have owned [ and used] a Microlight since they were introduced a long time ago now. Back then the tent was made in New Zealand and the quality was A1.
My first outing with the tent was ski touring in the Snowys when it stood up to 50kn gales no problem. The wind was so strong that the hoop was flattened over my body. In the morning I checked all the stitching etc. and you wouldn't have known the Microlight had been given a severe beating. Not a sign of damage; after that I have used the tent over many years and it's as good as new. That's as good a testimonial as you'll get for a tent.

My qualifiers: the tent is really made for temperate to cold climates. Unsuitable for warm and tropical environments. And it has been overtaken in the 'light' stakes by single wall models. And it is only really suitable for owners who are canny in pitching a tent [ because of condensation you can end up with a wet bag if you're not careful]. But as a four-season tent that will stand up to punishment, it's up there with the best.

Cheers, mountainmule
MountainMule
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment