Which pack advice.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Which pack advice.

Postby brissifirey » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:00 am

OK finally got it down to 2 different packs, the one planet "Strezlecki" and the Wilderness Equipment "Freycinet". Has anyone had any thing to do with either of these packs ? .The pack is going to be used in New Zealand South Island.
brissifirey
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Which pack advice.

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:10 am

I'm a bit of a One Planet freak, and I use the Strezlecki myself. I've found it to be an excellent pack for me, with all the features to be equal to or better than the equivalent packs I've tried or seen. If you have any specific questions about the pack, I'd be happy to provide more detailed information.

You can see a picture of my Strezlecki in action HERE.

See also the following two topics which may be of interest regarding choosing a pack:
Time to update the pack
Pack Choice
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby norts » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:46 am

My walking partner has a Karijini which is the single compartment version of the Freycinet. He is really happy with it. Can carry a big load comfortably all day.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:35 pm

I have a Karinjini as I prefer a single compartment pack its very comfortable to use and well made with plenty of room and being single compartment less chance of leaks.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby tim » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 7:24 pm

I have Strezleki, love it and trust it. I have, however, found that the bottom zip is really just a pain and doesn't do much other than provide another entry point for water. Basically, in retrospect the single-compartment version would have been more suited to my needs. But hey, you get that.

On the other hand, a bloke I used to work with swore by the WE packs. These days, as far as I know, they are made off shore by S2S, but that shouldnt be an issue. I own a sea-to-summit branded WE tent which is still top quality despite its less-australian heritage. WE packs tend to be pretty rare, but like I said they have a good rep.
tim
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 7:01 am

tim wrote:I have Strezleki, love it and trust it. I have, however, found that the bottom zip is really just a pain and doesn't do much other than provide another entry point for water. Basically, in retrospect the single-compartment version would have been more suited to my needs. But hey, you get that.

Agreed. If I was to buy my pack all over again, I would go for the McMillan instead of the Strezlecki. I've never even opened the bottom zip on the Strezlecki, and I've never closed the divider (in fact until now, I'd forgotten there even was a divider), and although I've not had any problems with water getting in the lower zip, it is completely pointless for me. I've always used the Strezlecki as a single compartment pack (the divider is optional).

The McMillan is, I think, exactly the same as the Strezlecki, but without the bottom zip access and without the divider.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 7:12 am

I have a Wilderness Equipment Expedition 2, it has the dual entry which I have never used. When I purchased it I thought it would make accessing gear easier. To hard to pack it. Would not buy a dual entry again.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 7:16 am

norts wrote:I have a Wilderness Equipment Expedition 2, it has the dual entry which I have never used. When I purchased it I thought it would make accessing gear easier. To hard to pack it. Would not buy a dual entry again.

Roger

I had similar thoughts (although the main reason I got my dual-entry pack, was because it was a cheap demo model at the shop). However, the very first time I used it I had to think "doh!" to myself, as I came to the obvious realisation that all my gear is going straight into a waterproof pack liner anyhow, and that does NOT have dual-entry! ... DOH! :D

Still, the lower zip hasn't caused me any problems. It just sits there getting ignored.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 7:58 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
norts wrote:"I have a Wilderness Equipment Expedition 2, it has the dual entry which I have never used."

"I came to the obvious realisation that all my gear is going straight into a waterproof pack liner anyhow, and that does NOT have dual-entry!"

About 6 months ago I bought the WE Mountain Expedition (dual entry) to replace the cheap Outer Limits pack I had been using. So far have no regrets. Used it recently on the Overland Track and found it quite comfortable to use for a week carrying a big load. I think the harness is the same on all the WE packs, whether canvas or synthetic models. Good for travelling too, easy to undo and strap down the right bits and get the entire harness to pack almost flat.

I've found the side entry zip to be useful if you want to get at things that don't have to be inside a pack liner, eg rain jacket. However I've also started using several large lightweight dry bags rather than a single pack liner, which provides a bit more flexibility to get at things via the side entry. You need to pack the most likely contenders on that side of course.

Kind regards,
JohnW
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kramster » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 2:43 pm

I just bought a One Planet McMillian (almost identical to the Strezlecki, only it has single entry, so no bottom zip compartment).
Took it recently on an overnighter in Mt Field, and was quiet impressed - very comfortable to carry, lumber support is great too.

When shopping around, I also tried on a WE Freycinet - which looked pretty ruggard and simple design (which is good), and quite large for big load trips, although the comfort of the One Planet harness sold me in the end (and the fact it was Aussie made).
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Penguin » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 2:30 pm

I got one of the last 80l Macpac Torre's. Wnet single compartment as I had not used to the lowerl zip on my Cascade for years.

Worse the pack over the last week and very comfortable with most of the gear in the pack liner at the bottom and the tent near my shoulders.

I am not as impressed with the materials and some of the design features of the new Macpac packs. I am not sure the materials would cope well with the rigours of scaparia. They are very pricey. I was lucky to get the Torre at a good end of product run out price.

Do most people have a 75-80l pack or can they cope over a week with a smalller pack?
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 05 Mar, 2008 8:16 pm

Spent a fair bit of time deciding on which pack to buy (this weekend). Mountain Designs has a 25% off sale for 4 days so the One Planet Strezlecki will be $100 + cheaper and we will have a new pack each by Monday!!

I have put a detailed analysis of why I am buying this pack (plus a bit more information) on this post on my blog if anyone wants to check it out. http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2008/03/b ... lanet.html
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scockburn » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi , I have just purchased a O P Strezlecki and I love it. It is a bit on the heavy side but it is made up by the great harness and comfort . Worth every bit I paid for it. Others I get advise from also say that this one is one of the best of the current ones about. Hope your purchase is good for you. SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment