First Aid Kits What do you Carry?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

First Aid Kits What do you Carry?

Postby corvus » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 9:10 pm

As a workplace qualified first aider I find that my walking first aid kit is very comprehensive so much so that it is *&%$#! heavy.
The most I have ever used (thankfully) in 17 years were band aids ,forceps (for a splinter) and a constrictive bandage on my self when I did a Hammie 3 days from home but who knows what could happen.
What do you use /carry (exclude any pills ) but please be exact as we may be able to come up with one that we can call our own and share with newcomers.
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Sat 01 Mar, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: First Aid Kits What do you carry

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 11:04 am

I carry a St John's "Personal Leisure Kit", plus a small zip-lock bag with a decent size bandage (the ones in the kit are tiny), extra elastoplast, pain killers and salt (and some other small non-first aid related paraphernalia, eg, compass, whistle, yabbie straw, string).

So in addition to my bandage(s), elastoplast pain killers and salt, the first aid kit itself contains (according to the official web page linked above):
  • BANDAGE CONFORMING 7.5CMX1.5M
  • TAPE HYPO-ALLERGENIC 2.5CM X 9.1M
  • BANDAGE TRIANGULAR 110 X 110CM
  • SWABS GAUZE STERILE 7.5 X 7.5 CM X 3
  • PAD - COMBINE 9 X 20CM
  • DRESSING NON-ADHERENT 7.5 x 7.5CM
  • DRESSING NON-ADHERENT 7.5 X 20CM
  • SHAPES ADHESIVE IN BAG X 25
  • SCISSORS S/S-SHARP/BLUNT12.5CM
  • FORCEPS S/S-SHARP 12.5CM
  • BLANKET EMERGENCY SHOCK
  • SAFETY PINS IN BAG X 12
  • NOTE PAD & PENCIL IN BAG
  • TOWELS DISPOSABLE IN BAG X 3
  • PLASTIC BAG RESEALABLE 150 X 230MM S.J
  • GUIDE FIRST AID QUICK REFFERENCE
  • GLOVES LATEX x 2 IN BAG - LGE

It all comes in a very small light nylon pouch which folds open to a easy to access spread.

The only items I've ever actually used are: Elastoplast, band aids and pain killers. I think I might have used the bandage for friends with crook knees, a long time ago.

I don't think I'd actually know what to do with some of the items in the kit, and some of the others are useful for more than just first aid. Maybe it's time I went back and did another first aid course. It's been a long time.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 4:58 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I don't think I'd actually know what to do with some of the items in the kit, and some of the others are useful for more than just first aid. Maybe it's time I went back and did another first aid course. It's been a long time.

Haha the last first aid course I did was Mental Health First aid for a previous job....so if i encounter someone having a psychotic episode whilst walking im all set....otherwise Im a bit up the creek :P
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby corvus » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 7:33 pm

That means you can give yourself the kiss of life then :D On a more serious note are you really that naive about first aid or is this just one of your jests.
If you lack knowledge of basic first aid I respectfully suggest that you do at least a work place level 1 which will give you current CPR skills plus control of bleeding and a bit more , ( the boss would pay for it Im sure) that would make you a safer walking companion :)
I also suggest that anyone who goes bushwalking get up to date basic first aid skills which can lifesaving when out there.
Last edited by corvus on Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 7:55 pm

corvus wrote:blah........ are you really that naive about first aid or is this just one of your jests.......blah.

Is this what it comes to...just another of your jests....i do occasionally contribute meaningful stuff :P

And yeah i have enough 1st aid knowlege to get me by. To be honest its been a few years since I last did a course but i still remember enough to get me by. I agree that its a very relevant course for all to do. I had to have it when i worked disability support...and then I upped it with the mental health 1st aid...so im all good. Mental snake bites my speciality.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 9:13 pm

Thats cool then but you said it!! :D you can come walking with me if you like now that I know you can save me :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby johnw » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 9:37 am

All good stuff that's been said here already. A few months ago, being first aid naive myself, I did the St John Remote Area First Aid course. This also incorporates the usual workplace Senior First Aid certificate but was 3 full days done over 2 weekends and geared specifically towards bushwalking and other outdoor activities where you may be a long time away from professional medical help.

I found it useful, pretty full-on with a lot of simulated practical exercises. The casualties always seemed to present with multiple injuries, such as head injury plus snakebite plus bleeding plus broken limbs. This put a lot of pressure on participants to correctlly prioritise and deal with the injuries. There was also a big emphasis on knowing what you can and can't deal with in the field, so deciding when/how to evacuate and preparing for evacuation was another major element. The course had a strong focus on improvising using what you would normally carry (or can find) rather than having to take a lot of heavy first aid equipment along. There was a good appreciation by the instructor that bushwalkers can't carry a lot of extra gear. However they suggested some basic items which may very depending on the activities that you are normally involved in.

I used to take one of the small leisure kits as described earlier (but I also didn't know what to do with most of it). Here's what I now take (minimum) based on their advice and my own ideas:

1 "SetoPress" pressure immobilisation bandage (snakebite bandage)
    2 triangular bandages
    1 roller bandage
    CPR face shield
    compact space blanket
    bandaids
    moleskin for blisters
    paw paw ointment
    antiseptic cream
    salt for leeches
    I need to add some Glad Wrap (wrapped around something) for burns
I know the idea was to exclude pills but I take at least the following generic ones, which I believe may be important and often recommended by first aid organisations:

painkillers (including aspirin for suspected heart attack...if appropriate, ie not allergic etc)
    antihistamine tablets (control swelling, itching of bites/stings)
    anti-diarrhea tablets (immodium or similar)

A number of other organisations may offer similar courses. I'm making an assumption that St John would run the same course in Tasmania. If anyone is interested in their courses the contact details are:

57 Sunderland St
PO Box 414
Moonah TAS 7009
Tel: (03) 6271 0333
Fax: (03) 6273 7776
Email: tasmania@stjohn.org.au

Their web site appears to be under reconstruction but have a look at http://www.stjohn.org.au. This has a number of useful pdf fact sheets on such as dealing with snakebite and other first aid emergencies (from the home page menu bar select First Aid Quick Reference). These appear to be taken directly from the manual used in the training courses.

A word on cost. Corvus suggested that employers may pay for courses. I found that my medical fund re-imbursed 100% of the ~$200 course fee (has to be an approved provider). I only had to pay $15 for the first aid manual. They also give you a very small waterproof remote area field guide. Worth checking out if you have private health insurance with ancillary benefits.

Kind regards,
JohnW
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joe » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 10:05 am

was this covered by the private health or ancilary? I have aniciary but not full private....
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby tasadam » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 10:10 am

Interesting indea on claiming the First Aid course from your health insurance.
I'm with MBF but I don't have the "HealthChoices" plan so I am unable to claim the maximum $100 per year that is available for members with the correct level of cover to allow such a claim.
Who are you with that allows $200 for such a course?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Joe » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 10:55 am

im with st lukes, will pop in on lunch hour and see what they say :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby johnw » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 12:10 pm

tasadam wrote:Interesting indea on claiming the First Aid course from your health insurance.
I'm with MBF but I don't have the "HealthChoices" plan so I am unable to claim the maximum $100 per year that is available for members with the correct level of cover to allow such a claim.
Who are you with that allows $200 for such a course?

I'm with NIB, which is present on all mainland states but looks like not yet in Tasmania. Medibank Private appears to cover first aid courses under their annual bonus program. If not already a member I guess there would be a 12 month wait before you could claim.

However I'm not recommending anyone start switching funds or changing their cover, just a heads up in case it's a benefit that people already have but weren't conscious of. Every fund will probably be different in type and level of cover, and some may not cover it at all.

taswaterfalls.com wrote:was this covered by the private health or ancilary? I have aniciary but not full private....

Ancillary cover. I think most funds (that cover it) would cover it under that category. Otherwise could be annual/loyalty bonus, or lifestyle benefit categories where they exist.

Kind regards,
JohnW
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kramster » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 12:56 pm

My kit sounds pretty similar to that of johnw. The bit on Remote area First Aid sounds interesting - I've got Workplace II (Senior First Aid) - currently Red Cross, but have had St Johns in the past (they are all pretty similar).

I also include in my kit the following:
  • matches
  • Alcohol swabs
  • saline eye wash
  • fixamol tape (great for blister work)
  • scissors / pocketknife
  • ankle / knee tape (the really strong sticky stuff)
  • lukoplast (not quite as sticky but good for securing pads over blisters)
  • second skin patches
  • betadine antiseptic ointment
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 05 Mar, 2008 6:32 pm

I have cut my kit for weekend type walks down to this

GLOVES NITRIL DISPOSABLE X 2 PAIR
NOTEBOOK/PENCIL
EMERGERNCY BLANKET
RESUS-AID for CPR
SALINE SOLUTION 30ml
SS SMALL SIGNAL MIRROR
ALL IN ONE CLIPLOK BAG

10CM HEAVY CREPE BANDAGE
10CM CREPE BANDAGE
5CM CREPE BANDAGE
5CM GAUZE BANDAGE
GAUZE EYE PAD X 2
7X5 NON STICK DRESSING
12X8 ADHESIVE DRESSING
3MMX75MM SKIN CLOSURE PKT 5
4X6 BLISTER BLOCK
10X10 GAUZE SWAB PKT 2 X 1
LARGE FINGERTIP DRESSING
BANDAID X6
25MM LEUKO TAPE I ROLL
ALL IN ONE CLIPLOK BAG

ALCHO WIPES X 4
PAW PAW OINTMENT
STINGOSE
VOLTARIN GEL
SS SHARP FORCEPTS
SS SHARP SCISSOR
SPLINTER PROBE X 2
S/PINS X 2
NEEDLE
MONOFILLAMENT X 1MT
OUT DOORS FIRST AID PAMPHLET
PACKED WITH THE OTHER TWO IN A LARGE STRONG CLIPLOK BAG
(INCLUDING SOME ASSORTED PILLS IN THEIR PACKAGING)

Overall weight down to 565gm

Note I use Paw Paw ointment as antiseptic if required and if you carry a good Insect repellant that works like a dream on leeches (no need for salt /matches/ciggy etc) just put a touch on them and watch the suckers shrivel :D
Last edited by corvus on Tue 02 Sep, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby flyfisher » Wed 05 Mar, 2008 8:04 pm

TWF . With all due respect :wink: what does a mental snake bite look like. :?

Does this mean we should take a shrink with us on walks to calm the wee beasties just in case. :roll:

Cheers FF. :lol:
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby corvus » Wed 05 Mar, 2008 8:48 pm

Best idea in the workplace is to offer yourself as a first aid person and get your employer to pay for it ,it helps them meet their OHS requirements and is tax deductable .
I like the idea of remote area first aid but last time I checked it was rather expensive in TAS and required three days straight,may have changed since then and if so I am interested/curious.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:19 pm

Just a less than Abstemious thought we carry a fair bit of Snake bite treatment ,when was the last reported wilderness bite in Tas?? I think on checking the media reports that sprained /broken ankles are our main problems followed by Heart attacks.
Just as well that the bandages for SB are the same for sprains /breaks you just need to know how to wrap for each (break or strain) and that is not well known. No prize for first correct answer but I feel perhaps more relevant than SB ,just a thought !!
Heart attack, hands up who could save me as a stranger if I suffered one on our proposed walk ( hope someone :shock: ) but would you have the up to date method /knowledge (if not use what you know please :D )what I am trying to say is that as we venture into our BW areas we should try to have basic current First Aid knowledge if for nothing else to treat ourselves :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby scockburn » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi , I've read all the posts and think most are really good options.
From my experience , mostly in hotter climates , electrolytes or powdered sports drink is a must for heat exhaustion and recovery when experiencing overheated symptoms .
Over the last weekend on a difficult trek( Qld) I became quite overheated and when I stopped for a breather , I seriously cramped in the legs whilst on a hard climb section. A member of the party gave me a small handful of "Celtic sea salt " ( purchased at supermarkets) and the instant fix was amazing. I'm adding this to my list and it doubles as a use for leaches as well.
Stingose as well is a must for any of those bites and stings.
Hope this helps. SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 11 Mar, 2008 4:48 pm

I did my WP Level 2 with Australian First Aid and a bonus was that we had live Snakes to check out when we did Snake bite treatment (no we did not get bitten) the Herpertologist told us that he had been bitten in the past through inattention when doing a demo however he carries anti venene so it was ok :shock:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby scubabob » Tue 11 Mar, 2008 9:46 pm

This is an interesting topic - and timely as it was going to be my next question. I have Level 2 workplace first aid training, essential for rescue diver quals anyway. I have 4 first aid kits, one at home, one in each car and one with the dive gear. All are independantly made up rather than a purchased article and each is specific for its needs - the dive one reflects sea beasty stings, hypothermia, rusty cuts, rescue breathing, etc while the home one is more break, cut and sprain orientated.

Point is, all mine are independantly made up , but are all in the same fishing tackle type box and specific items are in the same place. They are relatively bulky as being in cars, space is not really a premium. Different thing for hiking though, weight and size are as important as whats in it.

question is, am i better off buying a made up kit or putting one together myself? I am assuming here that there are 'hiking specific" kits available and who would have a better type of kit? P/Pallins? St.John? Annaconda?
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:08 pm

I respectfully suggest that you make up your own kit based around my basic weekender ,use StJohns for most of your purchases as they are in my experience well priced.
You then can decide how to pack it ,as stated b4 mine is packed in Zip Locks but still weighs more than I like but what IF.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Wed 12 Mar, 2008 5:58 am

corvus wrote:You then can decide how to pack it ,as stated b4 mine is packed in Zip Locks but still weighs more than I like but what IF.

Its the one thing that isnt worth scrimping for weight on. I added a tube of voltarin to mine after the weekend.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

What's in your First Aid kit?

Postby alliecat » Mon 28 Jul, 2008 1:57 pm

Based on comments in the thread-that-will-not-die :) there is a lot of variation in what people carry in their first aid kit. I'd be really interested in knowing what others really do carry. Hopefully, I'll see something in somebody else's list and go "a ha! I really should get me some of that!"

I'll start, but my list is fairly boring because it's just a commercially available kit with one or two small additions. I'm typing this at work so I might foget one or two things...

• nurofen plus tablets
  • panadol capsules
  • singose spray
  • ventolin
  • sterile wipes
  • 2 sterile gauze dressings (1 small, 1 large)
  • bandaids
  • tape
  • safety pins
  • tweezers
  • scissors
  • roll bandage
  • big square bandage
  • antibiotic cream

I added the sitngose, nurofen, and the ventolin. I carry a ventolin inhaler with me all the time anyway, but I have been known to lose it, so this is my spare. But I have had to lend it to somebody on a walk who swore they "weren't really an asthmatic". Actually, what they said was "I'm *puff, wheeze, puff* not really *wheeeeze, puff puff* an asth*wheeze*matic..."

So let's see what you've got! :D

Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: What's in your First Aid kit?

Postby jay590 » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 2:27 pm

mines basically the same as yours. just with out the ventolin and i have stingose cream instead of spray.
jay590
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alliecat » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 10:40 am

One thing worth mentioning is that ventolin is available over the counter in Tasmania, but not in some other states - so it's an easy addition to a first aid kit.
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: First Aid Kits What do you Carry? [merged]

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 1:47 pm

Ok,
Happy to put myself up for some “lively discussion” about my list and comments.

Have had a bit of professional experience in health care BUT NOT a first aid or communicable diseases expert. Also had a couple of baddish injuries out in the bush that we coped OK with using the first aid gear we had. This does not by any means make me an expert but maybe someone who has an alternate view. I have not based any of my rant on clinical trials or journal articles that provide good evidence, just my opinion (i.e. IMO- In My Opinion)

I reckon the key is thinking laterally and using what you have i.e. improvise. If the injury is minor you will walk out and survive, if it is major like a fracture, bad wound, snakebite etc you will be staying put until rescued.

My List
Pressure bandages * 2 - snake bite/sprains/ a sling if necessary/immobilising a fracture i.e. multipurpose
Bandaids – 3-4
Leucoplast or other heavy tape – blisters, hotspots, repairs – always heat the adhesive side with the flame to make it stickier before applying
Non stick dressing – large – 1-2 (can be cut up for into smaller bits or used once – if you need the large one you should just bandage it on and not open the wound till you get to hospital!)
Panadol – one strip (mainly used for hangover after cut out drinks at end of walk)
Swiss Army Knife

Would not get too stressed about using sterile gear – becomes un-sterile the minute you use it and the probability of the dressing or whatever being contaminated (because of holes and damage to the packaging) and therefore un-sterile is so high it is not worth worrying about. Just compromise and think clean rather than sterile

Gauze dressings are out of date (IMO) cause wound contamination with pieces of cotton, blood seeps through them and therefore bugs can follow the same tract back in. Non absorbent dressings probable better (the shiny on one side ones)

Antibiotic cream virtually useless (IMO) for severe laceration/cuts/ gashes – pretty sure it is NOT designed for open wounds, and in fact may be BAD for healing. Best to clean wound as well as possible i.e. wash the hell out of it with clean (boiled if you must) water to get contamination out, dry, cover with non adhesive dressing, bandage it up and then tape the bandage on well so it does not fall off. Don’t worry about removing it till you are home. If bleeding continues, reinforce.

Gloves – can’t see any advantage UNLESS YOU have open wounds on YOUR hands. OMO, do the clean up deed, or better still get the injured person to clean their own wound (unless unconscious LOL) They can then take it easy and not cause themselves too much pain.
Just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after you finish the clean up….

Emergency Blanket – have a mate who is a sceptic and a doctor and an anaesthetist. Thinks they are rubbish and believes there have been no clinical trials that prove their usefulness (Happy to be proven wrong) IMO, your pack liner would do just as good a job

Rescus Aid – if someone stops breathing and you have to do CPR go for it unless you have rotten teeth or gaping pustules in your mouth. Probability of getting disease minimal (again IMO) Besides, they will either be resuscitated in a couple of minutes or they are stuffed, you won’t be able to keep up CPR for long before becoming exhausted (and ineffective) You will then just be trying to resuscitate a cadaver

Saline Solution – OK for a quick rinse, but 30mls is nothing if you want to clean a wound of contamination really well. May be better carrying 30gms of salt and making your own. Normal saline is 0.9% salt in water, so roughly 1gm of salt makes up 100mls “Normal Saline” – (lot cheaper too and works the same unless you plan on putting in an IV.

Eye pad – cut up non stick dressing

Skin closure strips – maybe – have to be applied under really optimum conditions to stick properly. Can just cut up leucoplast , will do the same job. If skin wet or wound rubs as you walk they will just peel off (see my view on dressing a wound above)

Suture material (needle and monofilament threat) – maybe but do you know how to use it? Wound will still have to be opened, cleaned and re-stitched when return to civilisation.

Scissors, forceps, splinter needle – use my Swiss Army knife
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MichaelfromQLD » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lignocaine.

Since an incident a few years ago, it's been on my list of essentials. Can tubes of lignocaine gel be easily purchased in Tas?
MichaelfromQLD
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 1:37 am

G'day frank_in _oz
As expected!! :)
Gees you must walk in easy areas to get rescued that quick :lol:
Just my thoughts on the rest.

A SA knife and blunt ended tweezers to probe my splinter instead of sharp forceps and a splinter probe gees I hope you don't ever get to take anything out of my body without anesthesia.

Suturing if really required the blanket stitch.

Skin closure sutures yes could use tape OK but much better if no need to cut up ,quicker result.

Eye pad is needed no question how much does one weigh.

Saline ,never used to bother with it till it was needed (mucking about with a pinch of this and a dram of that )gees the 30 ml worked

Resus Aid yes useless if you are walking with family especially as it weighs all of 8gm(come across a stranger they may even be from overseas :shock: suffering from a cardiac thing or whatever would I go bare mouthed ,at my age probably yes )if I was younger no way !!

Emergency Blanket "useless" wow that's a big statement he obviously has done Alpine Rescue ,understands the effect of reflected warmth !! if it doesn't work in his opinion how come the Ambos use them (or do we all imagine the heat ) and your Medico is the Doctor after all. :?

My 16 gm gloves may protect ME because my hands constantly experience scratches and cuts when B/walking and again if treating strangers why not ?Ambos use them all the time.

The Pawpaw ointment is carried for the sake of my Ring :D rather than anything else but does double up as an antiseptic for small cuts /grazes/blisters.

Non adhesive dressings are most probably better but Gauze makes a better swab.

Your list / comments seem to be based on the premise of quick rescue but you don't have the "what if "component for longer First Aid treatment.

My kit is based on the Be Prepared theory old fashioned as it may well be but to date has never let me down and has assisted many walkers over the years :)

Just my humble opinion.
Last edited by corvus on Wed 03 Sep, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Wed 03 Sep, 2008 9:15 pm

Just like to keep the whipper snappers on their toes :lol: how dare they question me :lol:
On a more serious note I do respect other peoples views but wont compromise on my basic "what if " first aid kit which I may add has only been used(thankfully) for very simple treatment of others who did not have even basic stuff.
Things treated being all the usual suspects cuts,blisters etc in addition my exposure to possible problems would have been greater than most as over a 17 year period I was responsible for the well being of what equates to over 600 young bush walkers thus my caution.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby sthughes » Wed 03 Sep, 2008 11:03 pm

Righto here's my 852 grams of first aid kit:

- 1 x Book "Basic Life Support" (I don't carry this -56g)
- 1 x Book "Emergency First Aid - a Quick Guide" (I do carry this casue it's been so long since I did a course)
- 1 x Big, tough, red bag with handles, reflective tape and the works (150 grams) (snap locks are for pussys :P )
- 1 x Bricanyl (asthma medication)
- 20 x Band Aids (like the good ones not "plastic strips")
- 1 x 25mm x 5m Roll of Leukoplast
- 1 x Eye pad (2 grams Corvus)
- 1 x Triangular Bandage
- 5 x Strepcils (the really pricey antibacterial ones)
- 1 x Scissors
- 1 x Tweezers
- 12 x Safety Pins in varius sizes
- 2 x sharp things in plastic things?? splinter probes??
- 1 x Another triangular bandage
- 3 x 75mm x 75mm white guaze swab
- 10 x Allereze Tablets
- 9 x Nurefen Plus Tablets
- 1 x Thermal Blanket
- 2 x 75mm x 100mm non-adherent absorbent dressings
- 2 x 100mm x 100mm non-woven combine dressings
- 2 x nitrile examination powder free gloves blue 245mm textured
- 1 x Wound Dressing
- 1 x Face Shield
- 2 x 15ml Saline
- 10 x Antiseptic swabs
- 1 x Note Pad
- 1 x Pencil
- 1 x 3.5g Burn Aid Burn Gel
- 5 x Alcohol Swab
- 4 x Itch Relief Cream
- 1 x 75mm x 1.5m Crepe Bandage
- 1 x 50mm x 1.5m Crep Bandage
- 1 x roll of white tape
- 1 x 75mm x ?m long bandage (like the brown type for sprains etc.)
- 1 x 50mm x 1.6m Crepe Bandage (again)

Hmm what a little treasure chest! Am I missing anything that anyone can think of?
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 6:30 pm

You forgot the mirror unless you carry one to shave with and comb your hair :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Next

Return to Equipment