First Aid Kits What do you Carry?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: First Aid Kits What do you Carry?

Postby Gusto » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 12:02 pm

My view on first aid is skewed towards carrying enormous kits. This is due to my job, leading groups on 10 day expeditions etc. The downside to all this is the weight, over 3 kgs wouldn't suprise me.

I think for your purpose then the Fakmat Lite 2 wouldn be fine http://allaidsupplies.com/wilderness.asp?catID=2

I personally have not ever seen up close what the Fakmats actually look like. For work I've purchased thousands of dollars of items from All Aid Supplies as they have an enormous range of consumables that can be purcahsed in bulk. I recommend the highly. Talk to them on the phone, they have lots more than what's just on there website.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 7:16 pm

I'd lose the bandaids, saline and the CPR mask... Put in a couple of triangular bandages, a field dressing and Elastoplast strip and e # 3 looks alright.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dannnnn » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 9:06 pm

my first aid kit is pretty minimal... but it's minimal enough that i carry it on most walks, so that's the key thing i guess

* a few fabric bandaids
* fabric/sticking strapping tape
* panadol & mersyndol
* handwash
* pawpaw ointment
* a few maccas satchets of salt for leeches
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 10:04 pm

dannnnn wrote:* a few maccas satchets of salt for leeches

Ive thought about that too, but usually just end up removing it with my fingernails, roll it into a ball of snot and flick it at your enemy's direction.
much quicker than having to stop, unbuckle my pack, take it off, look for the first aid kit, open the salt satchel, etc etc ........ and while you're all this, another 10 leaches latch onto you :shock:
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby McGinnis » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 9:44 am

I like to keep it simple relatively simple.

Panadol/nurofen (mostly for fever management)
2 compression bandages (snakebites)
1 triangle bandage (manageable fractures)
1 gauze pad (gashes)
A very small amount of magnoplasm (splinters and the like)
A small tube of betadine (can be used for water treatment if desperate)
A small tube of dermaaid/savlon
Gel blister band aids (blisters being the single most common hiking "injury", and one that can really draw a trip out)
Telfast/Zyrtec (one for day, one for night)
Epipen (you never know who in your party will be allergic to what, until they're stung [so to speak])

I'd have to weigh the kit, but it's surprisingly small and light.

McG
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby quicky » Wed 10 Oct, 2012 7:28 pm

My kit is mainly meds...Voltaren, Panadol/Forte, Buscopan, Prescription Ab's (depending on trip length), Anti-emetics, anti-histamines (1st generation type), sleepers (Temazepam), Immodium and depending on company, Adrenaline and/or single use Emla cream.

I also carry 2 x ORS sachets, and a single use tube of Supa Glue

Apart from 2 simple bandaids, 2 steri-strips/butterfly enclosures and gel blister pads...I limit the amount of bandaging as I believe that I can re-create most larger bandages from the spare clothing that we have.

My tweezers and scissors are purchased accessories from the Victorinox Swiss Card http://www.myswissarmyknife.com.au/victorinox-swiss-army-knife-spare-parts.html. They work well.

It all gets shoved neatly into ziplocks, stored altogether in one bigger sandwich ziplock, and rarely gets seen out from my ditty bag...never gets wet, or close to getting wet, so fancy kits and bags are a waste of weight and money (IMHO). Importantly, the contents do vary depending on where I am going (and when), who I am going with, and for how long.

For the better part, overall weight, approx. 60 - 70 grams.
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 2:35 pm

The following sentence is from walkon's list of items carried on an AAWT trip: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19859&start=60

First Aid Kit: whilst mine did a fine job for me, after doing a Wilderness First Aid course I have realised just how inadequate it was if anything really bad happened at all. Can supply a list of what I took if required.

I'm hoping that walkon reads this because although I'm sort of interested in what was taken, I'm much more interested in knowing what specific inadequacies were revealed by the first aid course. And are these things which perhaps ought to be carried but are impractical (too heavy or bulky) or things which should always be carried and are overlooked?

I understand that subjective opinions are involved. The earlier comments in this thread illustrate that well enough, although most of them do list a lot of common items. But this recent exchange conveys the essential dilemma:

Re: 3-day circuit around Mt Bogong & Mt Wills (14-16 May 20
by AlexB » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 11:39 pm
Gorgeous pics and an inspiring trip report!

Looking through your gear list though, I am wondering what's in a 20g first aid kit! I can't imagine I'd ever be comfortable with so little, but I'd be interested to know what you prioritise, given so little weight.

Re: 3-day circuit around Mt Bogong & Mt Wills (14-16 May 20
by oyster_07 » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 10:55 am
Good question Alex.

The first aid kit is light, but practical. It includes a number of adhesive bandages, a gauze, a zip-loc bag, and a few ibuprofen tablets.

The bandages, gauze, and ibuprofen are self explanatory. The zip-loc bag can be used as a seal and/or one-way valve for a bodily puncture. Should I need further bandage or a tourniquet, items from my other gear can be used to fulfil this need.

I know that not everyone would be comfortable with such a kit, however it is first-aid knowledge that empowers a lightweight kit. I will also add to this kit depending on the duration, terrain, and conditions of my trip.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Earwig » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 1:41 pm

Paw Paw Ointment - of course. My kit is about to have a couple of things removed (lip balm, Stingose and Savlon) and Paw Paw put in.

I note that a few people favour ziplock bags. My kit is in a commercial pack, red with first aid kit written on it in big letters. I think it needs to be obvious as a I might not be the one getting it out but I could be the one needing it.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 3:36 pm

Earwig wrote:I note that a few people favour ziplock bags. My kit is in a commercial pack, red with first aid kit written on it in big letters. I think it needs to be obvious as a I might not be the one getting it out but I could be the one needing it.

May I ask what do you have in your first aid kit that are needed when you are incapacitated to that extent? Space blanket?true compression bandage? Others?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkon » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 12:19 pm

peregrinator wrote:The following sentence is from walkon's list of items carried on an AAWT trip: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19859&start=60

First Aid Kit: whilst mine did a fine job for me, after doing a Wilderness First Aid course I have realised just how inadequate it was if anything really bad happened at all. Can supply a list of what I took if required.

I'm hoping that walkon reads this because although I'm sort of interested in what was taken, I'm much more interested in knowing what specific inadequacies were revealed by the first aid course. And are these things which perhaps ought to be carried but are impractical (too heavy or bulky) or things which should always be carried and are overlooked?

I understand that subjective opinions are involved. The earlier comments in this thread illustrate that well enough, although most of them do list a lot of common items. But this recent exchange conveys the essential dilemma:

Will just start off with what I took with me.

My AAWT first aid kit
weighs in at 520gm
not including the weight of my small utility knife which has a pair of scissors & rest of the garb, nor does it include my really sharp pocket knife.

Springe
Gloves * 1 pair
Compression bandage
Triangle bandage
Epipen
Ventalin
Space alfoil blanket
Betadine
Splinter tweezers
Voltarin gel more in food drops
Nuerofen * 2 sheets more in food drops
Elastoplas bandaids 3 sheets, cut off to size
Gastro stop * 2 sheets
Antihistamine sheet
Aspro sheet
Panadol sheet
Some heavy duty tablets I got prescribed in case of infection can't remember what though.
Cold and Flue tablets 2 sheet more in food drops
Alcohol swabs * 2
Dressing pad big
Womens Sanitary pads * 2
Leukoplast 5cm * 5m

This is all subjective and really depends on your life ethos really. The ULs will just take two anti-inflammatories + a bandaid and think that's too much whilst others will carry a whole cabinet of stuff. Me, I just want it to work when it's needed and more importantly live with the decisions of this.
I don't have asthma or any allergic reactions that I know of but since I lead groups I always take a ventalin puffer and an Epipen. On the AAWT when I got bitten by about 10 bees I took antihistamine and got out the Epipen so it was handy just in case. I'm not responding to arguments whether it would have saved me though the reassurance was immeasurable. The Epipen originally was bought after I found out some-one I took with me had allergies + susceptible to anaphylactic shock which they didn't tell me about :shock: . I carry one just to give me more time in an emergency till we get theirs if they have one, ditto the ventalin.

The Wilderness First Aid course that I have just completed really highlighted my kits short comings. Most of the people that come along with me on walks struggle to bring tape/tablets or anything really so the premise of consolidating the groups’ resources won’t yield much. Also I do a lot of walking on my own and whilst I'm not gearing up to take everything needed nor saying it’s just for me. I don’t think taking enough that I can cover say a broken lower leg which uses a lot of resources is unreasonable not all of what is needed is out of the first aid kit either. A snake bite alone on the lower leg uses two compression bandages and consideration of the management of an essentially immobile patient, shelter/warm....
From the course what am I going to add? More gloves, dressing pads different types/sizes, bandages (compression and triangles), a couple of big zip lock bags, saline, tape and a pair of shears at the minimum. The rest will be added as different occasions require it. The triangle bandage alone is like a swiss army knife with its potential uses so having just one is a big loss and they are lite
Also what you need in that kit and was mentioned previously in this post is preventative treatment for shock. Keeping the patient warm, dry and sheltered is hugely important, that and calm reassurance. This part of your kit is between your ears mostly and how to figure it out but is one of the biggest tricks in your arsenal.
I’d highly recommend doing this course, its not cheap and conflicts with a lot of what I was previously comfortable with. If you don’t at any stage find it stressful, confrontational and perplexing at the same time then you’re doing it wrong.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jadasa » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 12:30 am

Here's my kit. I'm an outdoor ed teacher regularly leading school groups in the field. My kit has evolved and had a few different iterations over the years, but mostly it's built around the wilderness f/a level kit. To be completely honest there are probably quite a few things in there I would consider redundant in my own opinion, yet I carry them for the sake of being 'complete and professional'. Image
jadasa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby mickb » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 12:19 am

I go minimal for backpacking, like frank who posted earlier I think a lot of folks carry too much and I ditch a lot of the stuff like comfort meds, BP kit, suturing(lol) saline etc. As an ex combat medic I'll say the average guy hordes too much medical gear ( often flogged from his workplace, the bane of workplace responders whe actually need it) and is probably lucky he has limited medical knowlegde. If he knew all the things that could possibly go wrong he would have a paramedic response pack even bigger than his normal pack ;).

I concentrate on first aid I have needed around the home or in regular day work first rather than envisaging grand disaster responses. Eg the time you got bark stuck in your eye doing the gardening, you got a splinter, had a blister,headache, or the runs, or cut a finger chopping veges etc- this is the high percentage kit that will actually get used. Add bandages for bad bleeds and splinting etc and its about all you can manage without definitive care anyway. I ditch a lot of the comfort meds also, antacids, cold flu tabs, nasal spray, basically any items which do not actually cure anything pathological- but that's just my preference.

I have a medium sized freezer bag with the key ingredients being some army style field dressings, windlass tourniquet, packets of thumb/finger bandaids(the thick hourglass shape, tops for everything) a triangular bandage( the do it all item), cotton buds, panadol, immodium, micropore strapping, antibiotic cream, small tools in a rubber band such as the tweezers, thermometre, sewing needle(for splinters)and a razor blade and a few others things I forget without looking in it.

I do go heavyish for work doing FIFO to the 3rd world(non medical roles these days) and take a 3L or so combat assist styled medical kit, so smaller than what a true medic would carry, no advanced life support gear or what I would term equipment(like splints, collars etc) but enough to handle basic life support emergencies. I also have a range of prescritpion and over the counter medications and comfort items added.This is more as I may not be able to find what I want in shops.

For car camping back home this also comes along. But for 3-10 days walking in Aus bush it would be a waste of energy.
mickb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dashandsaph » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 3:47 pm

Just reviewing my kit - weighs about 330g

Setopress Snake bandage
2x disposable gloves
swiss army type credit card inc small knife toothpick tweezers small scissors and cloth tape around it
4-5 assorted bandaids
3 KFC alcohol handwipes
moleskin
3 wound closer strips
1 wound pad
1/2 tubes of Paraderm, antifungal and hydrocortisone creams
disposable face shield
strips or partial strips of Panadol caps, Codral day and night, panadiene forte, acid reflux/heartburn, Telfast, Immodium

I know there is plenty of antihistamine/anti allergy - I tend to use it.

I could cut it back to a couple of bandaids and I haven't pulled much out of it but there isn't anything I wouldn't use. Any suggestions to cut down/multi use?
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taipan821 » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 9:10 am

My kit weighs 290 grams and contains
2x 10cm Heavy Crepe Bandages (snakebite, immobilisation)
1x 7.5cm conforming bandage (securing dressings)
1x sterile triangular bandage (dressing, bandage, sling)
2x 7.5x10cm non-adherent dressings
1x 7.5cm x 5cm 2nd Skin burn pad (burn pad, blister relief)
1x metre of leukofix 2.5cm medical tape wrapped around steritube (securing bandages, dressings, improvised steristrips)
1 metre of 10cm Fiximull tape (securing dressings, alleviating blister hotspots)
1x 30mL saline steritube (irrigation)
2x 7.5cm x 5 cm Island dressings (small wounds)
2x XL bandaids
5x band aids
2x satchets burn gel (sunburn, burns from cooking)
2x povidone iodine swabs (cleaning superficial wounds)
1x pair of gloves
6x lorentadine 3mg tablets (non-drowsy antihistamine)
6x panadol (pain relief)
4x Mylanta tablets (acid reflux)
2x single use straws of bractoban (antibiotic ointment)

All this lives in 1x medium ziplock bag. I can go lighter but normally I'm the designated First aider so this kit stays in the pack. as most people on this thread have stated most people carry too much. word of wisdom to anyone looking for tips... (i know this forum doesn't need it but for any newbies coming across this post) MYO kit, don't buy one. your FAK will be lighter, better suited to yourself and cheaper (st Johns don't like me :D )
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hermione » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 3:48 pm

Reviewing our first aid kit for a walk over Christmas, so I've just been reading over this thread again. It's dwindled over the years anyway, as I have come to realise the impossibility of covering every eventuality and the far greater utility of common sense. Over Christmas we'll be walking with our daughters (21 and 23), during a discussion the other day the youngest asked if we'd considered taking a portable AED! She's a student but works for an event medical services provider, so I guess that's why she thought of it. Generally we take elastic bandages for snake bite, blister stuff and analgesia of some sort, which usually fits in a ziploc bag. It will be interesting to see what we end up for the four of us, once I finalise what we're taking I'll weigh it and post on here (it definitely won't include an AED).
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 5:45 pm

Hermione wrote:Reviewing our first aid kit for a walk over Christmas, so I've just been reading over this thread again. It's dwindled over the years anyway, as I have come to realise the impossibility of covering every eventuality and the far greater utility of common sense. Over Christmas we'll be walking with our daughters (21 and 23), during a discussion the other day the youngest asked if we'd considered taking a portable AED! She's a student but works for an event medical services provider, so I guess that's why she thought of it. Generally we take elastic bandages for snake bite, blister stuff and analgesia of some sort, which usually fits in a ziploc bag. It will be interesting to see what we end up for the four of us, once I finalise what we're taking I'll weigh it and post on here (it definitely won't include an AED).

re AED
maybe your daughter is trying to tell you something.....subtle hint
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby Hermione » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks Walkon don't think I quite need a defibrillator yet. If I ever do I'll get an implantable one though, much lighter!
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: First Aid Kits What do you Carry? [merged]

Postby slparker » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 1:39 pm

sthughes wrote:Righto here's my 852 grams of first aid kit:

- 1 x Big, tough, red bag with handles, reflective tape and the works (150 grams) (snap locks are for pussys :P ) snap lock plastic bag
20 x Band Aids (like the good ones not "plastic strips") a roll of elastoplast strip dressing that you can cut up is more versatile

5 x Strepcils (the really pricey antibacterial ones) not proven to do anything
12 x Safety Pins in varius sizes what for? - tape is better for most applications
1 x Another triangular bandage what for?
- 1 x Face Shield not convinced that this is necessary but you're more likely to do CPR than me, probably
- 10 x Antiseptic swabs not necessary, if anything take some ioodine drops and it is an emergency water sterilisation treatment as well
- 1 x 3.5g Burn Aid Burn Gel doesn't do anything - cool water, ibuprofen and a non-stick dressing is the best treatment for burns
- 1 x roll of white tape ? do you mean micropore? this is useless outside an airconditioned clinic. fixomull or equivalent i sbetter but ZI see oyu already have a roll of leukoplast
- 1 x 75mm x ?m long bandage (like the brown type for sprains etc.) you are already taking crepe bandages. either take this end leave a crepe or leave this
- 1 x 50mm x 1.6m Crepe Bandage (again)

Am I missing anything that anyone can think of?

I reckon you could lose these and add steri strips for lacerations.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 6:34 pm

Inspired by the recent bushwalker magazine to post my kit.

My First Aid Kit. 70 grams in a plastic ziploc.

- adhesive elastoplast medical tape - used for taping blisters, gear repair etc etc
- a 2 small and 1 large band aids (rarely used)
- latex medical gloves (in case i need to assist someone I find bleeding on the trail)
- 6 tablets of nurofen. (may take anti-diarrhea meds eg IMODIUM and some cold/flu tablets if on a longer trip.)
- a couple cotton wool balls soaked in petroleum jelly for emergency firestarters and min bic lighter. (im usually carrying anyway for cooking etc).
- Emergency wad of toilet paper. (for obvious reasons :mrgreen: and for larger bleeding wounds)

Also carry
- DEET/sunscreen combo. 60 grams.
- tweezers for splinters, which is part of my 23 gram mini swiss army knife. (also contains scissors, knife and ballpoint pen).
- single sheet of paper for leaving a msg somewhere.
- on a multiday trip I'l carry anti bacterial cleanser.

My philosophy is that generally speaking a kit will help (make me more comfortable) for injuries where I can still likely hike to a exit point. For anything really serious a kit (doesn't matter how comprehensive) wont help much but a PLB and mobile phone will. The only addition Ive thought about is a long bandage for snake bite.. however I think my rain jacket and thermals will make fairly good compression wraps.. and from what Ive read, not moving and a rapid extraction to hospital are the most critical things.

Ive been lucky (touch wood) the worst injury Ive had is badly sprained ankle. Managed to hobble for 4 hours or so to the nearest road and the national parks kindly picked me up. They did tell me I probably should have called a helicopter.. which surprised me. There is no way Id ever call for a helicopter rescue unless my ankle had actually ripped off :lol:

Edit.. oh wait I tell a lie. I also split my forehead open white water kayaking once. Used a steri strip to keep the wound closed (though I no longer carry them in my kit... :oops: )
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 8:18 pm

Wildwanderer- sounds like that bandage would have been helpful for the sprained ankle as well as potential snake bite. It's a pretty small size/weight penalty but could make you a lot more comfortable & capable of self extraction with less pain and reduce further injury.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:54 pm

Lizzy wrote:Wildwanderer- sounds like that bandage would have been helpful for the sprained ankle as well as potential snake bite. It's a pretty small size/weight penalty but could make you a lot more comfortable & capable of self extraction with less pain and reduce further injury.

Im still having an internal debate about it putting it in the kit :mrgreen: No doubt the bandage is useful.. though currently I think i can substitute other stuff in my med kit/backpack.

My current plan for an ankle sprain is to use the elastoplast tape (I generally carry 5-8m) and do a support wrap as shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHzpLzRu8Oc. and dose with Nurofen. Possibly rest and elevate overnight depending on circumstances.

IMO Elastoplast tape is the most multi functional hiking accessory I have. I use it virtually every time I head out.
Last edited by wildwanderer on Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:01 pm

Minimal. Best advice i reaad so far is that if its really serious, you need an evac (plb) otherwise you only need to be able to treat the minor stuff as you go. Mine weighs about 150g covers lots of scenarios including snake bite and space blanket.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:14 am

I'm a nurse, and have been bush for 25 years for work and leisure...
The main items I bother to carry are
Elastic bandage
Triangle sling
Large non-adhesive pad (can be cut smaller)
Soap
Lighter
Ibuprofen codeine pills
Diarrhoea and constipation pills
Iodine (weak soln can treat drinking water, stronger can clean wounds etc)
Fabric bandaid
Stretchy adhesive cloth tape
Deet
Saline in 20mL plastic bottle
Thermal shock plastic blanket
Spot2 (or epirb)
If you have personal meds then that too.
I find less is better, if it can be cleaned, wrapped, dressed or bandaged or supported the rest of the treatment comes later.. No point trying anything fancy. Keep it simple is the key.
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Aushiker » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:19 am

Mine is the following ... goes in a ziplock and weighs in at 187 grams.

Rash Cream 3B Neat
Tape Leukotape P
Sunscreen Sunscreen
Scissors Scissors
Lip Balm Lip Balm
Gauze Steri Gauze x 2
Pain Treatment Paracetamol
Bandage Gauze Bandage
Tweezers Tweezers
Supa Glue Supa Glue
Band Aids Band Aids
Anti-Histamine Anti-Histamine Tablets
Betadine Betadine Cream
Prescriptions Personal Medications
Storage Zip Locks
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby crollsurf » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:39 am

Geez, I take next to nothing then and have my repair kit in the same bag. Basically plan an escape route if things go bad.
Couple of band-aids
Compression Bandage
Antiseptic wipe
Paw Paw ointment
2 single-use eye drops
Nuerofen
Quickeze

Sometimes Insect repellent and sunscreen which I keep in an easy to reach place

Credit Card pen knife (scissors, tweezers, knife, ect)
Tough tape
Compass (tend to use phone and hard copy map so compass is just backup)
(I have an extra bit of guy rope on my tent I can use for string)
Cigarette lighter

Thats it.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 9:30 pm

If the problem is so big that you would need a large FAK, you would be MUCH better off using a mobile phone. The police and ambos never mind helping with a genuine problem. (They prefer helping a live body to hauling a body bag.)

Me - some BandAids, some micro-pore tape, a few grams of burn cream, a Bic, an unopened scalpel blade (no handle), some BFI.
Plus - wads of TP, a clean hanky, and if necessay bits of clothing. Beyond that - phone.

Caution: Aspirin and other NSAIDs can kill if the patient is allergic to them. This happens a surprising amount.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 9:41 pm

rcaffin wrote:Caution: Aspirin and other NSAIDs can kill if the patient is allergic to them. This happens a surprising amount.

A good point Roger. I am not allergic but cannot take any Ibuprofen products (NSAID). I differently wouldn't want to be standing near a drop and popping a couple that is for sure :)
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:14 pm

Panadeine is all I need. No need for other NSAIDS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 7:23 am

Paw Paw Ointment is 1 part PP to 2000+ parts Petroleum Jelly. Homeopathic cure or Hogwash?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 8:39 am

Don't know the constitution but 'jelly' provides really good healing/growth environment.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment