Waterproof Socks

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Waterproof Socks

Postby corvus » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 6:03 pm

Waterproof socks :shock: tell me more brand ,cost and where did you get them (I guess they are breathable and long enough to combat big water crossings) gees I am the "Gearium" so how did this escape my knowledge (thinks?? they are not titan :lol: ) glad to read about the dry footed Sodden crossing.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Frenchmans and Irenabyss?

Postby tasadam » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 6:05 pm

corvus wrote:Waterproof socks :shock: tell me more brand ,cost and where did you get them (I guess they are breathable and long enough to combat big water crossings) gees I am the "Gearium" so how did this escape my knowledge (thinks?? they are not titan :lol: ) glad to read about the dry footed Sodden crossing.

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showProduct/SO1021

http://www.crossfire.com.au/Specials/Sp ... lskinz.htm

They do gloves, too!
http://evosport.com.au/product.php?productid=17103
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Penguin » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 6:51 pm

The socks are called seal skins. I have the non fleecy lined version. They are gortex like - membrane and breathable. cost was about $60. I wore light socks inside the waterproof socks and no blisters. Up to my knees in one "puddle" , water inside the gaters but dry feet.

I will definitely use them again in sodden button grass planes.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby corvus » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 6:57 pm

$60.00 socks !! that is above my luxury spend (I could add to my stove collection for that :) ) but thanks for your feedback
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby norts » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 10:03 am

I carry seal skin socks. I only use them around camp when I have wet boots and I want to keep my feet dry and warm (bought them on sale $40). Alot less hassle than bread bags and dry socks(what I use to do)

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lynda Moir » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 2:00 pm

norts wrote:I carry seal skin socks. I only use them around camp when I have wet boots and I want to keep my feet dry and warm (bought them on sale $40). Alot less hassle than bread bags and dry socks(what I use to do)

Roger

We also use seal skins around the camp inside our wet muddy boots. Pure heaven. We bought them a few years ago from Paddy Pallin I think. They were really expensive - fortunately I have forgotten how much. Well worth the investment!
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Waterproof Socks

Postby Will » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 7:57 pm

It would be the best $60 you could spend, just go hungy for a week :)

I were thin cotton socks underneath as well, as although impressive for the job they do the Seal Skinz don't breath as well as normal socks.
Another lining helps a little.

One thing I have found, if you get them really, really wet on the outside (but still dry on the inside). After taking them off they will be wet inside as well by the morning. A wring out helps, but its still a cold event in the next day. Fortunaty the water heats up quick (kinda like a wetsuit)
Will
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment