macpac prophet jacket

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

macpac prophet jacket

Postby troiks » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:16 am

Howdy all

First post after a few years of lurking.

Macpacs prophet jacket has been discounted by 40% at the Sydney shop and I am thinking about buying it.

What do people think? Is $380 a good price? Is the jacket worth it. I have read the other post about the resolution jacket so am aware of the limitations of event and DWR.

I do most of my walking in the blue mountains with some offtrack adventures.

Cheers in advance
troiks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: macpac prophet jacket

Postby blacksheep » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 1:12 pm

(I'll butt out, but want to clarify for you that the limitations of DWR have no special relationship with eVent, they are equal regardless of the laminate applied to the face fabric..)

(won't butt out entirely....very nice jacket with great hood..)
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm not really familiar with that jacket, but to simply answer one of your questions... $380 sounds like a good price for a quality, durable, breathable, waterproof jacket, so if the jacket fits that description, then it sounds like good value to me.

My last waterproof jacket (several years ago) is somewhat longer than that one, but it cost over $600, I think.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby winterling » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 5:32 pm

Spare a thought for those who paid the original asking price. Markup prices in this country are excessive, some might even use the term gouging to describe what we are asked to fork out. The Dollar is close to parity and the English Pound /Dollar relationship is best for years yet shop front prices have not dropped in our favour? Before laying out your hard earned check out US sites such as basegear etc etc and you might be surprised, even with the postage.
Phil
winterling
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Maelgwn » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 9:28 pm

I would consider the Macpac Resolution as well. The Prophet is more of the alpine/adventure sports jacket when the resolution is more of a bushwalking jacket. Hence the resolution uses heavier and more durable fabrics so it is better suited to wearing with a overnight pack and is a bit longer to cover the thighs. The prophet is shorter, so it allows a slightly freer range of movement. It is more suited if you want a jacket that does a bit of everything, eg is a good day walk jacket, reasonable overnighter but still okay for mountain biking and not looking like a bushwalker if you ever go resort skiing or climb a bit or w ever ... :P
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby rsser » Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:55 am

It's a good price but recently I tried one on and the fit wasn't brilliant for my bod. I went for a Rab eVent instead. Primary intention was for ski touring.
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby mattyc25 » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 1:02 pm

I have one and have tested and reviewed it.

Am well pleased, awesome jacket, great fabric.

Mountaineering in NZ in Jan and will post a further review...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4604
mattyc25
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby troiks » Sun 05 Dec, 2010 9:10 pm

thanks guys, i didnt realise that the topic actually started, just saw the mod email now.

I ended up getting the Resolution jacket for the added length, now have to wait for some cold weather to test it out

cheers
Andrew
troiks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment