To freestand or not to freestand? That is the tent question

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

To freestand or not to freestand? That is the tent question

Postby Jesso » Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:36 am

Hi all,
I enjoyed the reviews about small hiking tents so far and have taken on board the comments, this question builds on those discussions.

I am searching for a tent under 2kg, that I can sit up in,3 season which is warm at night, and could hold 2 people if needed, it will mainly be for solo hiking.

So far, I love the look of the Macpac microlite, however my 2 concerns are: it may be too short (although I'm only 175cm) and I initially wanted a freestanding tent cos they seem easier.

What do you all think?

My 2 freestanding favourites are: MSR Hubba hubba HP 1.9kg- the HP has fabric instead of mesh on the inner so will be warmer (very expensive though I think- as far as I can tell they aren't in Oz for a couple more weeks), and a tent I only viewed on web, the North Face Vector 1.8kg. I did consider Dart 1 but it's too small, Dart 2 too heavy, but I did like the look of them.

Trying to enjoy a complicated, trikky process of finding the best tent for me!
J
Jesso
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: To freestand or not to freestand? That is the tent quest

Postby corvus » Sat 22 Mar, 2008 4:10 pm

G'day Jesso,
You wont have any problems lengthwise with the Microlite my prolite mat is 183 cm with a bit of floor space to spare however it is not a 2 peson tent except in an emergency and in warm conditions condensation can be a problem.
I have been advised by long term users that the condensation can be overcome (check this topic) so go for the Microlite with confidence just dont pay full asking price $499.00 get at least a 10% discount :)
I am happy with my purchase.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Penguin » Sat 22 Mar, 2008 9:18 pm

I love a free standing tent. Much easier to to find a comphy spot for the night, and easier to get a taut tent in cold, windy weather. The advantage of the microlight is the dual pitch - great to be able to pack up the tent inside the fly on a rainy night.

More interesting tents available overseas in the three season light weight. Hopefully they will come soon.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Jesso » Sun 23 Mar, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks Corvus, thanks Penguin for your thoughts.

I ended up with a Mountain Hardware Meridian 2, 2.2kg. It's a freestander, in the end ease of set up and a bit more space won me over, although I would enjoy the warmth and cosiness of the Microlite. Happy I have made a decision! :lol:

If I had more time and was more techno savvy to order over internet I would have gone Big Agnes (USA) or would really like to have tried out The North Face Vector 22.

Cheers,
Jesso.
Jesso
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Penguin » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 5:42 pm

Great Jesso

Mine is the Big Agnes with the Event sides. Very happy with it.

Daryl
Penguin

Return to Equipment