Tents for tall people

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tents for tall people

Postby Jed » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 8:55 am

Hey everyone.
I've been looking around the site for information on lightweight 3-4 season tents for people over 6'.
I myself am 6'3" (and haven't stopped growing yet :? ).
I'm looking at getting an economical, light-weight 1-2 person tent. Probably erring on the side of 2 person as I go with friends quite often but when i go on my own i'd like to be able to stash my gear inside the tent for when it's pouring down. When there are 2 people in the tent the gear can be easily put in the vestibules.

I'm not an UL hiker by any means, but obviously any kind of weight saving is good :wink:
I've been looking at a black wolf mantis 2, it seems to be used quite a lot by people who do kokoda, one of my friends used one (but he only borrowed it so i can't go have a look) so for it's weight (2.3kg) it mustn't be too bad as the Kokoda track is full of hils :P . I'm not sure about those tarp tent designs. But if you all say they're terrific I'd be happy to give them a go.
Any suggestions for a tent that would meet this criteria would be most appreciated.
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tents for tall people

Postby ollster » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 9:28 am

I'm 188-189cms or so. When I looked last year for a 1 person tent I trimmed down to MSR Hubba HP, or the Vaude Hogan Ultralight. The MSR is probably too small for you (only 1 person), and is also pretty expensive buying in Aus.

The Vaude is pretty nice, and is roomier, I'd call it a 1.5 person. MDs sell them in Hbt, not sure about Vic, but since MDs have a regular 25%-30% off gear it makes the Vaude around $400.

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf ... /157582270

In short, never used one, but I liked it as a roomy, tall person tent.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Singe » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 10:16 am

I'm not as tall as you (only a touch over 6') but my research narrowed down to the Hubba HP and Hilleberg Akto (which Ent, another tall fella, is a fan of for taller folk) - though both of these are realistically more 1 than 1-2 person. Having seen both the MSR and Hilleberg in the flesh the Akto would be my pick - seems absolutely rock-solid. Didn't like the Hogan because of the front entry/vestibule so didn't look into it further, but that's just personal preference.

I wonder whether a tunnel design might suit the vertically advantaged better than these single-hoop hybrids though; there are plenty of options out there some of which appear to be very long and of course you get dual vestibules. Of course the trade-offs are weight and the option of a freestanding design.
Last edited by Singe on Thu 09 Dec, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 10:28 am

Singe wrote:I'm not as tall as you (only a touch over 6') but my research narrowed down to the Hubba HP and Hilleberg Akto (which Ent, another tall fella, is a fan of for taller folk) - though both of these are realistically more 1 than 1-2 person. Having seen both the MSR and Hilleberg in the flesh the Akto would be my pick - seems absolutely rock-solid.

Im only 5 foot 10 and a half. when your under 6 foot, the half is VERY important!! :wink:

I use an Akto, and I find it very roomy indeed. I have had my pack at my feet with some left over room, so i'd say you wouldnt have a problem. All Hilleberg tent owners are very very pleased and proud if their tents. Owning one is like being a member of some kind of elitist club. :|
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 10:45 am

Jed wrote:I myself am 6'3" (and haven't stopped growing yet :? ).

Yep. You're tall :)

Jed wrote:I'm looking at getting an economical, light-weight 1-2 person tent. Probably erring on the side of 2 person as I go with friends quite often but when i go on my own i'd like to be able to stash my gear inside the tent for when it's pouring down. When there are 2 people in the tent the gear can be easily put in the vestibules.

When you say 'economical, what have you got in mind?

The Akto is a good tent, but if you share it with a buddy, it has to be a very, very, good buddy. Its also not _that_ cheap, so it depends on your budget. You'd find more room in a Nallo 2, but that is even dearer. The Tarptent Scarp1 would stack up nicely against the Akto with more usable room inside the tent in length and height, but still squeezy for 2 - it does have dual vestibules though. Really, Akto/Scarp1 are 2 people tents for lovers or emergencies. The Scarp2 would be worth a look, same basic design as Scarp1 but with space for 2.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jed » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 11:02 am

As far as cost, sub $400
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby photohiker » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 1:14 pm

Jed wrote:As far as cost, sub $400

Akto $420
Nallo 2 $550
Scarp1 $295
Scarp2 $325

(from their respective websites, US$)

+/- depending on options selected, specials and freight. I think the tent you mentioned originally, the BW Mantis 2 is sub $300?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jed » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 1:22 pm

Yep, it's actually under $200.
How about Marmot tents? They're a US manufacturer. Some of their tents seem quite good, low cost and all glowing reviews, anyone used one?
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sthughes » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 1:25 pm

The Scarp and Akto are not 2 man tents, period. In an emergency even a Microlight can fit 2, but really! Great 1 man tents though. Ceiling height not brilliant, but okay.

The Nallo 2 is okay but a tall person touches toes on the inner quite a lot. If you are long in the body it is also not that high in the ceiling, but okay once again. Great tent, especially for winter.

The Hubba Hubba HP has vertical ends and high ceiling, so good for talls (similar for the one man Hubba Hp version), but it is fairly narrow for two.

Hogan is a roomy 1+ tent but has a small vestibule. I don't like it a lot for no particular reason, but it is not bad value and a spacious tent for 1.

Tarpent Scarp 2 ticks all the boxes for size, personally not a fan of the ultralight floor and the 'fit and finish' is not quite with the others, but it is significantly cheaper to match. That would be my pick for a tall person who wants a light tent for 2 people, but I'd add a footprint and take extra care. :wink:

Only ever seen one Marmot in the flesh, I didn't pay a lot of attention as that particular model had too much mesh and was too heavy to interest me.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 2:43 pm

This is what the Scarp 1 looks like with two mats inside.

Obviously tight, but not as some (remember it is the 1...)
The 2 mats are 6' long, the Exped is 20" wide, the PO a bit less.
Note that, to get a bit extra width , the bathtub floor is down to a couple of inches and you lose headroom too.
In the standard set up the apex of the Scarp 1 is 96 cm at the apex, that is about 6 cm more that the Akto.
6 cm sitting down is about 12cm standing up...
So definitely not a double but yes it is a 1.5....
note Exped mat 183cm, shoes 31 cm tot 214 cm
Franco
[email protected]
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 3:50 pm

Good figures there Franco.

Id be more than comfortable in my Akto with my petite wife snuggled up next to me. :wink:
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 4:31 pm

I did say not a "2 MAN" tent. :lol:

Sharing a night with a "petite" lady in an Akto might be fun. However getting changed, preparing food and generally 'living' with them whilst it's pouring with rain outside probably wouldn't be so much fun!

I base my opinion of tents more on 'liveability' during waking hours. If comfort when asleep is all you're after, then get a bivy. :wink:

The Scarp is certainly a more acceptable proposition for two people in a pinch than almost any other one man tent I can think of.

Interesting pitch that Franco, it has got me thinking. Any thoughts of making a production "Scarp 0.5" half tent to save more weight? Obviously with half the mesh replaced with something waterproof (tyvek?). (i.e. a semi-single skin tent)
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 6:00 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:my petite wife snuggled up next to me. :wink:

You're quite a petite fellow yerself.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 6:16 pm

Interesting pitch that Franco, it has got me thinking. Any thoughts of making a production "Scarp 0.5" half tent to save more weight? Obviously with half the mesh replaced with something waterproof (tyvek?). (i.e. a semi-single skin tent)

The Moment is a minimalistic hybrid version of the Scarp.
That is a single skin tent with a mesh wall/door and the optional liner.
It is also smaller inside.

There are tents (Montbell Crescent 2 for example) that have only a half inner so that you can expose half in good weather and still be bug proof, but they have not really been successful.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 6:19 pm

ollster wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:my petite wife snuggled up next to me. :wink:

You're quite a petite fellow yerself.

Im not sure if I should be :oops: or :evil: or :lol: after that comment Oll.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rejjer » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Jed,

I am quite tall myself (6'11") and have had the same problem trying to find a tent. I found that you cannot rely on the manufactures floor sizing’s as the walls of the tent taper in towards the ends and your feet and face end up touching the walls and each manufacturer is different. This made buying the tent online a little hard and I found the best option to be lying in the tent in store before I bought one.

I recently got myself a Macpac Macrolight which is a two person tent that I can just fit in lying straight and comfortably if I lie on the diagonal. It weighs about 2.2kg and I picked it up on a really good sale earlier this year for about $400.

Jeff
rejjer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Mick » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:19 am

Hi Jed

I'm about 6'6" and am not a skinny guy. Using a Macpac Olympus. Usually with the petite wife !

I find it is large enough to comfortably sleep in & has enough vestible space for packs etc if you are sharing. Not the lightest tent around, but a good buy.
Mick
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 8:37 am

" I found that you cannot rely on the manufactures floor sizing’s as the walls of the tent taper in towards the ends and your feet and face end up touching the walls and each manufacturer is different"

There are two aspects to this point.
1) All manufacturers give you the length of the floor, not the usable space *
2) some manufacturers give you overly optimistic measuraments

Note that ,as it is at the floor corners , there can be unusable space at the apex.
In other words as your feet may not fit at the edge of the floor, your head (unless very pointed) will not fit to the apex under some roofs .
(one member here is about to discover that...)

*Now, if the linear measurement is accurate , manufacturers cannot really tell you if you fit in because they don't know if and what mat you use, your foot size, bag size and how claustrophobic or not you are.
So what you need to do (if there is no shop nearby with that tent on display...) is what I suggested many times , and that is to make a mock up of the floor plan.
To do this in "3D" is a lot easier if you have poles necause once you have the linear dimension and the height the poles will find the correct angle.
Allow pole to net space...
But you can aproximate that with string.
Franco
That particular picture I took to show that a particular pyramid design had to have about a 20' sq extra foot print , compared to a certain tent with vertical ends (square floor plan) .
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jed » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks for all the advice. I'm strongly considering getting this: http://marmot.com/products/aura_2p?p=118,72
It look like a great tent with enough room. I'll definitely mark out the floor plan though, awesome tip Fanco!

The reviews I've been reading have come from 6'6" people and they claim it has enough room for them. It's also really sturdy, some people have even used it in the snow and it has been great for them. The only complaint people have made is that the fly on the vestibule isn't quite as taught as they'd like, but at that price, I think I can deal with it :lol:
It also won "Outdoor Magazine's Gear of the Year Award".
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ollster » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 1:09 pm

Jed wrote:The only complaint people have made is that the fly on the vestibule isn't quite as taught as they'd like, but at that price, I think I can deal with it

Just a thought, he was looking for a 3/4 season tent... I'd say a poorly designed/fitted fly would therefore rule this tent out? Bad designs/implementations come unstuck in high winds or under snow load. Not much point buying it if it can't cope with the potential conditions.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jed » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 2:08 pm

All people were saying is that if the tent wasn't lined up with the wind correctly, the vestibule would blow in a little, thus slightly reducing the size of the vestibule, not making it collapse. There were only a few people with this problem, most people thought it was fine.

EDIT: Also, snow isn't an issue, where I hike it just doesn't happen.
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ollster » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 2:19 pm

Jed wrote:All people were saying is that if the tent wasn't lined up with the wind correctly, the vestibule would blow in a little, thus slightly reducing the size of the vestibule, not making it collapse.

Ah, fair 'nuff then.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nakedape » Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi all. I'm 6'4" and get a little restless when confined in tight spaces - i.e. 40 hours in a small tent while the labyrinth put on one of its famous blizzards :( . Anyhoo, the other half and I spent over a year looking for a 2 person tent that was lite, roomy, had large vestibules and that I could lay straight in - NOT POSSIBLE :? In the end we went with a 3 person (Nemo losi 3). The extra room is well worth the weight as it allows you to live in the tent rather than just existing :!: The OP may wish to consider that point when looking at a new tent - as some else said here, if you are only looking for a sleeping shelter, buy a bivvy :D

N
nakedape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ozjolly » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 1:50 pm

Jed wrote:Hey everyone.
I've been looking at a black wolf mantis 2, it seems to be used quite a lot by people who do kokoda, one of my friends used one (but he only borrowed it so i can't go have a look) so for it's weight (2.3kg) it mustn't be too bad as the Kokoda track is full of hils :P .

I've used the Mantis 2 and it's too short for me at 6' tall. The ceiling tapers in at a very low angle and cuts down the usable space. It's also a silly tent to take to Kokoda as it's not free standing so can't be used in the guest houses easily and because of the low roof right above your knees, which is always wet with either rain or condensation. But it is lightish.

Joel
ozjolly
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Jed » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 2:04 pm

ozjolly wrote:I've used the Mantis 2 and it's too short for me at 6' tall. The ceiling tapers in at a very low angle and cuts down the usable space. It's also a silly tent to take to Kokoda as it's not free standing so can't be used in the guest houses easily and because of the low roof right above your knees, which is always wet with either rain or condensation. But it is lightish.

Joel

Thanks Joel, that's saved a trip to an outdoors store to test it out :D
Cheers, Jed.
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 1:01 pm

Finally got around taking some pics of the Scarp 2 interior space.
First the traditional 2x 6' mats plus 60L pack in the middle...
Next the world first "chairs inside a 2 person tent " pic.
The chairs are 90 cm high so for two people the head would under the net at about 100 cm ( 114cm in the center...)
That would be enough for a 6'3" person sitting on a thick mat.
Shoulder to shoulder the chairs are 101 cm apart, the legs at 120cm, you can see that there is some side space at leg level.
The vestibule are about the same as the ones in the Scarp 1, see pics above.
The mesh and fabric inner are of the same size .
(the Scarp 2 is under 1600g)
Franco
[email protected]
Last edited by Franco on Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jed » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:47 am

Hey everyone. Thanks for the help. I wound up getting a Macpac Nautilus. It's 220 cm long and 100cm high. It cann sleep 2, but if they have big packs i'm not sure how well they'd fit in. I used it for 11 days and 12 nights solo and it was really comfortable for just me and lots of gear (camping, not hiking).
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment