Terra Nova Laser Competition

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Terra Nova Laser Competition

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 4:21 am

They can be seperated.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby rwfox » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi
I have just purchased a full footprint for the Laser from the Terra Nova site.
They don't list it on there spares page but the product code for the full Footprint is 50LC2FF, price BP-45 less VAT.
I have the small one that just fits under the inner tent which is made of a light material.
The full one is made of slightly heavier nylon and comes with shock cord loops.
The main problem is the postage is expensive, I had to buy a replacement pole for another tent, so helped spread the cost. :D
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 8:55 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:They can be seperated.

Which I'm relieved to hear as I have ordered one. Can you also pitch the outer first then attach the inner afterwards?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 9:26 pm

Don't see the advantage of this. When you lay it out to pitch, the inner is well protected.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 11:19 pm

Reason I asked was because on another forum someone mentioned that the inner/outer cant be easily separated, which doesnt make sense to me.
They poster complained that when there was heavy condensation under the outer tent, the inner would get soaked when it was packed away together.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby MJD » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 11:40 pm

OK. Must admit that it wouldn't be that easy to seperate - a bit fiddly might be a fairer description. The easiest thing to do when you get condensation on the inside of the fly is to wipe it off with a small towel just before you get out - quite easy to do while in the inner tent by reaching around.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 3:08 pm

MJD wrote:OK. Must admit that it wouldn't be that easy to seperate - a bit fiddly might be a fairer description. The easiest thing to do when you get condensation on the inside of the fly is to wipe it off with a small towel just before you get out - quite easy to do while in the inner tent by reaching around.

Thanks for that MJD. I guess my other reason for asking was just to do a comparison between the Laser Competiton and the WE Second Arrow that I currently use. I can set up the WE as integral pitch or outer first, and it's easy to attach the inner afterwards. I wouldn't generally do that in the field but have done to clean/inspect the outer. Just wondering if the LC was the same, no big deal though. I'm really looking forward to getting the LC. The idea of carrying ~930gms with less bulk instead of 2.6 kgs is very appealing. It includes a free footprint which I guess adds a bit if I use it. Ordered a Golite Pinnacle pack as well and hoping to reduce pack weight by about 3.7 kg next overnight trip :D.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 11:01 pm

That's a nice weight saving to look forward to. My current project is working out how to fit everything for a 10-12 day walk into a 62 or 65L pack. Got a few months to work on it. Don't mind "having to" buy a few bits of new gear either :). And that includes the DSLR - I mean fitting the camera in the pack!
Last edited by MJD on Tue 21 Jun, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:40 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:They can be seperated.

They CAN be, but I wouldn't recommend it. I've just removed the torn fly from mine and fitted the new one. Took at least half an hour. It's *&%$#! fiddly because of the strings for the adjustable ventilation.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MJD » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 7:08 pm

Fiddly - nah, you mean "character building".
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 8:11 pm

I already have all the character I need. I have more character than the collected works of Shakespeare. I repeat: it's fiddly. Ridiculously fiddly. Unnecessarily fiddly, in my opinion - why not a little plastic clip instead of the knots?
It's not 'character building', it's 'grumpiness inducing'. Very.

Or, as Bobby Wealthy once said of a projected winter dive in Elaine's: "Who needs that much character?"
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ninjapuppet » Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:46 pm

Looks like Terra nova are really trying to push the Cuben thing here at their outdoor show.

heres some sneak peak at whats in store for 2012:

http://terrybnd.blogspot.com/2011/07/terra-nova-voyager-ultra-2-solar.html

http://summitandvalley.blogspot.com/2011/07/terra-nova-day-out-part-two.html
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Toohp » Sat 23 Jul, 2011 5:13 pm

I ordered a Terra Nova Competition 1 , can't wait to try it ! :D
Toohp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Penguin » Sat 23 Jul, 2011 8:29 pm

Toohp wrote:I ordered a Terra Nova Competition 1 , can't wait to try it ! :D

Camped with my new one in the snow last weekend at Mt Field, very :D.

Hard to tell how condensation as it was frozen in the morning.

I am hiding behind the Netrino
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tony » Sat 23 Jul, 2011 10:21 pm

ninjapuppet wrote:Looks like Terra nova are really trying to push the Cuben thing here at their outdoor show.

heres some sneak peak at whats in store for 2012:

http://terrybnd.blogspot.com/2011/07/terra-nova-voyager-ultra-2-solar.html

http://summitandvalley.blogspot.com/2011/07/terra-nova-day-out-part-two.html

The Ultra 2 will be around £1200 (A$1800)

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 2:52 pm

Tentatively have a 2 night trip coming up in a few weeks. So, yesterday afternoon I finally got around to setting up my new TNLC1 in the backyard. A few thoughts and questions:

Overall I quite like the tent. The real test will come when I actually use it.

Easy enough to put up. I did watch a youtube video demo before I started, so had a bit of an idea.

Difficult to get a taut pitch. I didn't have it quite on level ground which probably didn't help. Eventually got it looking vaguely like MJD's photo at the start of this topic, but it took a lot of fiddling around. At one point I didn't think I'd ever get it properly pitched but eventually stumbled into efficiency (still not sure how). Main problem was the fly being too loose on top and lying directly on the inner.

Those tiny "toothpick" pegs didn't inspire my confidence, although I do like how light and compact they are. Probably easy to lose too. I've already managed to bend one when I accidentally tripped on a guy rope. I'll probably use them first trip and decide after that if different ones are needed. There are 12 in all. I doubled up most of the attachment points on them and had 2 left over. What are the extra ones for (if anything - eg did I miss something)?

The waterproof pole cover was a bit fiddly to tie on but I guess that and pitching will get better with practise.

Overall the tent and vestibule space is relatively spacious for me (170cm). I can sit up inside it with a little room to spare. I didn't blow up my mat and try it, so that will reduce a couple of inches height. Looks to be enough room in the vestibule for my pack etc. If needed I could probably store boots or other smaller items in the end spaces between the fly and inner.

I received a free footprint with the tent. I decided to try that out after I put the tent up. In hindsight not the best idea. I managed to slide it under and secure it the wrong way around on the first attempt. 2nd attempt was better. I do think I'll use it as the tent floor is very thin. The other thing that struck me about the floor is the lack of height around the sides. I'll need to be careful about selecting well drained camp sites. It looks like not much flooding would need to occur before it caused problems.

I was thinking of removing those two complicated looking short end poles fom the inner, to reduce the packed size. Has anyone done that, or is it a recipe for disaster? Obviously for fast integral pitch they should stay attached to the inner when packed, but I thought I'd throw the question out there anyway.

I guess the whole idea with this and similar tents is that they are an ultralight, minimalist concept. I bought it to reduce weight and it does that. I also bought a Go Lite Pinnacle pack and expecting these 2 items will really reduce the load (roughly ~3.7kg less than I'd usually carry). So I'm keen to try them out for real.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 3:32 pm

Good stuff John.

I still love my Photon, thats the lighter model!! It's still going.. so yeh good purchase imo.

BUT take other pegs with you... the toothpicks are a joke and will come out of the ground.....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 3:57 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Good stuff John.

I still love my Photon, thats the lighter model!! It's still going.. so yeh good purchase imo.

BUT take other pegs with you... the toothpicks are a joke and will come out of the ground.....

Thanks Mark, I'll look into some other pegs.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Penguin » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 9:50 pm

Has anybody bothered using some sort of seam sealant as the Terra Nova tents are not seamwelded?

Penguin
Penguin

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 7:31 am

No. Like Hillebergs they use material that does not require the tiresome procedure :wink:
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 5:45 pm

I have just returned from 8 days in the Tarkine with the TN Laser Comp 1. Size was good for 1 person carrying a heap of camera gear (let's NOT talk about the weight) with the internal vestibule holding all that camera gear as well as down jacket and assorted other bits. Plenty of room for the luxury bedding system of thermarest self inflater and Neo Air in 'sock'.

Weather wasn't bad, apart from rain and hail. No wind to speak of, no flapping BUT....

In a forest, condensation is a problem. Both fly and inner were dripping each morning. I moved every second day almost so the tent was generally packed slightly wet and pitched as soon as possible in the hope of getting it a bit dry before sleep. first task each morning was wipe down the inside of each skin and hope the sleeping bag hadn't come into too much contact during the night - it was slightly damp on the surface around the feet and hips - must toss around a bit.

I know its not a tight pitch in that image, but it did get better after I adjusted bits. I didn't use guy lines from the pole as I had no issue or expectation with wind and couldn't see any benefit from the pole cover. Condesation was spread evenly over the skins, not concentrated around the seams or pole.

If I head back into that sort of environment, I'll look at another tent perhaps. Or find more open campsites ..... Dreaming on that one I think.
Attachments
TN LC1 with hail.jpg
After the last of the hail.
gayet

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 3:21 pm

They probably need more ventilation, Looking at it, does not look like there's a lot of ventilation possible.
I don't have this problem with either my Hammock or Hilleberg Tent.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby photohiker » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 5:39 pm

Robin over at blogpacking light has one and has done lots of mods to it, including improving the ventilation

I think you could make it into a good wet forest tent by giving it a full groundsheet, good ventilation and lots of testing. :)

Or get a hammock :mrgreen:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 6:01 pm

No Michael, a hammock is not for me! Did you have any condensation when using the hammock out there? You did put the tent up one night didn't you? And how did the beak go?

A full groundsheet is definitely the first option.

The end vent options mentioned on bpl were used when drying the tent out during the day - not quite so elegant as Robins but the same idea. Just didn't employ that method at night.
gayet

Postby photohiker » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:21 pm

gayet wrote:No Michael, a hammock is not for me! Did you have any condensation when using the hammock out there? You did put the tent up one night didn't you? And how did the beak go?

Condensation: Absolutely Nil :D

Beak worked really well, but it was a bit damp in the morning. (its just ripstop, not sil)

My tarp sprang a small leak just above my face, not much fun, so yes I put the tent up one night - opened up all the vents and raised the skirts. Minimal condensation, but not nil. Inner was dry. It could probably also do with footprint vestibule coverage in wet conditions though.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:11 am

Small tent, condensation will always be a problem and trade off for warmth. Even ventilation will only help by degrees (unless you have 'wind blowing' through)

Did you guys go on a guided Tarkine walk?

That ge route looks interesting, any pics or tips :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:24 am

one tip - don't carry all your camera gear!
gayet

Postby Nuts » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:32 am

lol, mine fits on my hip these days.

C'mon though, you have to show some pics for all that effort :wink:

A trip report? Not much has been written here about the Tarkine and its all a bit vague.
It really needs some promotion to keep the wolves from the door.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:21 am

Pics are coming. :)

We could collaborate on a trip report I think. In fact it would be an advantage as I seem to have blocked the first day from my mind. haha.

Cheers.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:33 am

I think collaboration will be essential - day 2 is just an aching blur...... I'll PM you later
gayet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment