critical view of my replacement pants

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

critical view of my replacement pants

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 02 Apr, 2011 7:08 am

i had a warranty problem with some Goretex fabric shell pants and had to pick an Australian made alternative.

I chose a pair of Mountain Designs alpine overpants as the best of a bad bunch and to tell the truth I am not happy.

http://www.mountaindesigns.com/online-s ... odID=11856

The pants are well made and look very strong and I can't blame MD for the extra weight I now carry around my middle but they seem to be designed and built for resort skiing and snowboarding, not living in for days or weeks at a time while walking and ski-touring in bad weather.

I checked the other retailers and makers and my moan a couple of months ago about the lack of bid & brace overpants still stands.

Is it just me or do any others think that outdoor design has gone too far in the direction of pretty rather than functional?? Are too many of us spending too much time on the lift serviced runs at the ski resorts trying to pick up stray women ( in my opinion the only reason for dressing up like a peacock 0 and not enough time finding new walking routes in the high plains or trying to get to the summit of Bogong in a storm ??

Too much of my clothing is far more suited to wearing with B&B especially the pile parka that Dianne Bisset ( DB Stuff ) sewed for me and still fits although only just.

As I approach retirement age i need to spend less on gear and put more aside for my poverty stricken old age but it does not mean I want to spend less time walking and skiing so I want what I have to last a few more years yet.
As an aside alpine ski gear is dirt cheap if like me you always buy old stock at the end of the current season and your boots last 10 years. telemark gear for some reason is very expensive so I am still using old crap bindings and saving for new stuff.
Telemark skis on the other hand are cheap as dirt, I literally pulled 3 brand new pair out of the rubbish bins at Falls Creek last year, as lots of people were throwing out good alpine skis and going for the new wide short skis with big side cut, but this was supposed to be a comment on clothing so back on track.

Am I the only bloke who find Bib & Brace pants the most suitable for cold wet weather and do others simply find them too warm, Am I also the only bloke who finds the current trend to short storm jackets that only come down to just above the crutch totally unsuitable for the style of walking or skiing they do??
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment