Denali tent opinions please

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Denali tent opinions please

Postby scubabob » Wed 21 May, 2008 7:22 pm

A*****da here in Melbourne have Denali X-wind tents on special for $99 for this week (not sure whether to mention the name for fear of advertising or something) Anyway, these tents are 3-season according to their website http://denaliequipment.com/Product.asp?p=15 and they seem ok especially for the price, but i am wondering whether they would be suitable for an April trip on the Overland Track. I am just after opinions please.
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Denali tent opinions please

Postby corvus » Wed 21 May, 2008 8:36 pm

With 14 pegs to tie it down I would guess that it will withstand April on the Overland just hope you can find enough anchor points on the platforms.
I suggest that if it is not seam sealed that you do this and make sure you have a footprint/groundsheet under it ,it looks ok and for $99.00 reduced from $299.00 its a steal even if it only lasts the one Trip.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby norts » Wed 21 May, 2008 8:44 pm

I think I have probably said this before but here goes.
I don't know the tent you are refering to but most tents (designed for bushwalking)will be ok on the O/land track as long as you are using it near a hut. If weather turns nasty you can always use the hut, even if you have to sleep on the floor.
Most sites have platforms, which means the floor does not need to be as robust.
If you are planning off track then I would be alot more careful. Remember "you get what you pay for".

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DonQx » Thu 22 May, 2008 3:44 am

Looks OK. Top price.

If I understand the description right then it has a mesh inner tent. Means you're going to get some air movement thru the tent. For me that would count it out coz I get cold quite quickly and having an inner that keeps air movement out when everything is zipped shut makes a big difference.

Also, if you get a massive snow dump and aren't close to a hut you might have issues. That design looks like it wouldn't shed snow easily. Snow dump rather unlikely mind you, but it happens every now & then.

People have been thru the Overland with far worse equipment, if I was $-tight & more warm-blooded then it would be an option for me.

:-) a.

(PS: have done the OT several dozen times at all times of the year)
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scubabob » Thu 22 May, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks for your input guys, i do appreciate your time and valued experienced opinions. I thought for the price and its plusses, it wasnt a bad option. I had a play in one today in the shop and there seems to be enough room for me and my backpack to stretch out. (would be a litlle too cozy for two people i think). I did put one on layby so when i get it -and eventually get some free time, i'll try it out and let you know
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment