My Potential Main Gear.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

My Potential Main Gear.

Postby John Sheridan » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 4:53 am

Main Gear

Tent Vango F10 Helium 100 $310.00 900g

Backpack Osprey Hornet 46 $180.00 680g

Cooking Gear Mini-Trangia $ 70.00 330g

Sleeping bag Vango -10c Venom 225 DOWN Micro Compact 750g Sleeping Bag $ 180.00 750g

Pillow

Sleeping mat. Thermarest - NeoAir Large $278.00 550g

I am trying to go for the lightest gear I can get, but still fit me like the Sleeping mat, the rest is pretty much up in the air, if you guys and girls have any suggestions that would be nice.

I must stress I am going for light, willing to pay 300 for a sleeping bag and tent as long as they are good and light, but would like the tent to be sturdy and water tight for wet weather, easy and quick to put up would be a bonus :)

Thanks for any suggestions on any changes to me Potential gear :/

Thanks.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: My Potential Main Gear.

Postby Dale » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 7:07 am

Hi John

What sort of conditions will you use your new set-up in ?
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stibb » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:27 am

John Sheridan wrote:Sleeping bag Vango -10c Venom 225 DOWN Micro Compact 750g Sleeping Bag $ 180.00 750g

-10C/750g down bag for $180? :shock: Too good to be true? Of course; -10 rating is extreme (whatever that means? frostbite? probably). Suggested use: 4-25C! So yeah, as Dale asked, what sort of conditions?
Stibb
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:42 am

Vango tend to grossly overestimate the performance of their products in my experience
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:51 am

Yer, i would avoid the vango gear, as pointed out, the sleeping bag rating will be fantasy and iirc someone here tried the tent with poor results? i realise you have set a budget but even at that some good options can be found. Its hard to avoid buying from OS to get those 'bargains' (but then the Vango gear will just involve a 'middle person' to do the same thing). I can suggest brands but its probably better to do some more reading here. I have the Hornet, cutting edge stuff and featherweight but its taken some time and expense to find the gear (that most people would consider necessary) that would fit in a pack that size. Not difficult but does involve some compromises. Where and when you plan to go on overnighters does matter a lot but you can find better value I reckon. The thermarest is a good start but expect to not pay rrp now a new model is out :wink:
Last edited by Nuts on Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:53 am

Nuts wrote:Yer, i would avoid the vango gear, iirc someone here tried the tent with poor results? :
Arrr, thats it, i thought it was ILUVSWT :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:54 am

Yes Nuts I have a helium100. It is a piece of garbage. Had it under 2 years, have used it maybe 6 or 7 times, and it's already at the "use at your own peril" stage. Starting to fall to bits already. also the 900grams they state is bout 200-300 grams under what they REALLY are.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ninjapuppet » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 11:00 am

ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby John Sheridan » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 1:49 pm

Ok I AM an idiot, these seem to be good as no one said YOUR an idiot for picking them, but it seems I need help on the tent and sleeping bag.

I would probably need gear for winter just to be safe or at least early spring. I like the idea of camping on the snow :)

The Backpack Osprey Hornet 46 $180.00 680g

Cooking Gear Mini-Trangia $ 70.00 330g

Sleeping mat. Thermarest - NeoAir Large $278.00 550g

What tent, what sleeping bag, also some alternatives on the other gear would be nice if needed.

What gear would you guys recommend, I seem to not have a clue :(

Thanks.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 2:19 pm

No one here would call you an idiot, have a look at the price for the thermarest at http://www.basegear.com also have a look through the Marmot sleeping bags there. Im not sure enough to recommend a cheaper tent for tall tmber but it can be $1000 from the same place before incurring duties/gst. To buy this gear locally would cost twice that, its not as hard to save by buying online with these things as you dont have the range of choice as with footwear or clothing. As i said, its probably better to read a bit more rather than go with recommendations (there are so many good brands) but if you do keep coming up with particular models im sure someone will have advice. Unfortunately it seems you just picked some duds to start with...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 3:19 pm

Check out this thread for a reasonably big list of what people here use for their main pieces of gear. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5821

There isn't any recommendations or discussions there but it's a good place to get ideas. It would be worth doing a bit of a search for "tent recommendations" here aswell. It is one of the most common topics. Along with sleeping bag recommendations.
cams

Postby MJD » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 8:00 pm

And if you really want to camp on snow then a free standing tent is a good idea.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roba9988 » Wed 13 Jul, 2011 11:55 am

Stibb wrote:
John Sheridan wrote:Sleeping bag Vango -10c Venom 225 DOWN Micro Compact 750g Sleeping Bag $ 180.00 750g

-10C/750g down bag for $180? :shock: Too good to be true? Of course; -10 rating is extreme (whatever that means? frostbite? probably). Suggested use: 4-25C! So yeah, as Dale asked, what sort of conditions?

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Camping-Sleeping-Bag-Temperature-Ratings-EN-13537_W0QQugidZ10000000019182630

Definitely would not be using the -10 C (extreme) rating as a guide. It is not really Vango's fault that the majority of their Australian retailers refuse to advertise the proper temperature ratings. After all Vango just use a european standard temperature rating system (which is at least trying to standardise rather than have 500 different subjective opinions on how to rate a sleeping bag).
roba9988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby mattmacman » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 12:03 am

Hey guys just thought i'd weigh in on the topic,
First off in my opinion most of vangos products are rubbish (especially there bags) however i have the vango spirit 200+ tent
Pros- Fully waterproof, barely any condensation, small sleeping area can be + and -(in relation to warmth and comfort), pitch as one is handy, extremely stable, enclosed vestibule is great, GREAT ventilation, extremely well thought through (tabs to hold back door material in good weather, reflective trim) just stuff usually overlooked, decent weight
Cons- Large pack size, small sleep area

http://www.wildearth.com.au/vango-spiri ... p-208.html

Secondly i hate the neo air solely because theres no insulation and the material feels flimsy (i know all air mattresses are but still id be scared to puncture one at that price!) i have a downmat 9 its the best sleeping mat on the market... No competition (well more so for cold climates but boo hoo) its extremely comfortable, has down insulation, built in pump and has a decent weight and packsize

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf

My recommendation for a tent the Fly creek 2 UL

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/ ... HAodZGYKxw

For a sleeping bag for -1.11 degrees celcius go for a western mountaineering megalite or marmot hydrogen

http://marmot.com/products/hydrogen

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/in ... ntentId=19
mattmacman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby John Sheridan » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 12:25 am

Would you consider 2.075 kgs light or ultralight for a combined Tent,Pack and sleeping bag, I could get it down to a 1.5 kg if I went for a pack without a frame, but I think the extra 590grams is worth it for the AArn Mountain Magic 55 pack and by the way the other one was a only a Osprey Hornet 46 $180.00 680g, so the extra volume should be better :)

I want a pack that will do a 10 day trip, but being ultralight, maybe a smaller lighter pack would do, but proably better get a bigger pack that I think I will need and maybe upgrade or degrade later to a smaller lighter pack.

Zpack Tent 350g

Aarn Mountain Magic 55 $300.00 1270 kg

Western Mountaineering Highlite Sleeping Bag 455g

Still working on my gear, getting my gear surely but slowly, but the big three are the important ones.

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 10:11 am

10 days worth of gear in a 55litre pack!!!! Gosh your keener than I. I'd reccomend you get an Aarn Natural Balance over the Mountain magic if its for 10 days
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Dale » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 6:24 am

+1. I've used the Mountain Magic and Natural Balance and I'd say the Magic for a 10 day trip pretty optimistic. Either that or you don't eat much :wink: If you're focus is cutting weight you could consider the US Cottage Manufacturers like Six Moon Designs or Mountain Laurel Designs who sell some lightweight large volume packs. You also have to consider your trip needs. If the bulk of your trips are several days which can involve higher weight and / or winter - more bulk than go for the Aarn otherwise you could get a lighter high volume pack.

At the beginning of the thread you mention that you'd like the gear to function in winter. The Highlite will struggle below 5 deg. Also be mindful of the mat you use as this has a big impact on your sleep system and temps.
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 9:25 am

You can get the large neo-air for $173 AUD from here.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... o_air.html

Have dealt with them several times. Their advertised prices include 20% VAT tax, so take that off and add about $15 for postage. You can update to accurate international prices by adding to your cart and then once in there, changing your country - it will remove the tax and show the postage. I then use coinmill dot com to do the currency conversion.

There is also the much warmer neo-air all season, but probably not suitable for summer on the mainland (depends how cold you sleep). You could however go with the warmer mattress at essentially the same weight, and then get a slightly less warm sleeping bag (maybe 0 instead of -5). Do you intend to use this kit in winter?

10 days worth of gear in a 55litre pack!!!!

I fit 8 days comfortably in a 55 litre pack, and that includes my 3 person tent :)
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 1:12 pm

Oh, and on the stove - I'd recommend the Kovea Supalite Titatium. 60g vs. 330g and the efficiency/convenience/control of gas, $89.95 at Paddy's.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/equipment ... stove.html

Or about $75 from equipoutdoors.co.nz
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby John Sheridan » Fri 23 Dec, 2011 9:40 pm

Can I ask anyone with the Highlite sleeping back how far the zip go's down, I want to be able to use it as a quilt when the temp gets hotter,I know it does not fully unzip, but not sure how far it unzips, don't mind keeping my feet in the pocket, your feet needs the warmth ALLWAYS :P

1 Zpack Tent 350g

2 Zpacks Exo with Carbon Fiber Frame - 12.6 ounces (357 grams), $259

3 Klymit Inertia X frame Sleeping Mat 286.33g

4 Western Mountaineering Highlite Sleeping Bag 455g
box stitched) 6'150/130/97 225 g 455 g 15 x 30 XXS

5 Foam mat for colder weather 180 g

Total 1.628 KG

I think that's ultralite, too bad you have to take food as well :(

My new Potential care and probably will be, just have to order from Zpacks and wait.

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rogo » Sat 24 Dec, 2011 11:25 am

With regards to the Klymit it might depend on your sleeping style. I wondered if it would be good for side sleeper and/ or short people. This topic viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7026&p=89571&hilit=klymit#p89533 might be of some help. It would be terrible to away for up to 10 days and hate your sleeping mat.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icemancometh » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 11:01 pm

Man, that's some nice gear on that list

Can't wait to hear what you think of the Z packs stuff...if only they were cheaper...

And good choice with the WM over Marmot sleeping bags...way better and more realistic ratings too

But back to the list, do you really need the two mats?

And have you looked at HMG for packs?
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:02 am

Hi John

The WM Highlite only has a half zip - not a full length so it doesn't work well as a quilt.

Check out the new Thermarests on the US Cascade Designs site. There is now a Neoair XL Womens (R3.9 168x51x6.3 320grams). This mat has a better R rating than the regular Neoair XL (R 3.2) and a size which for me @ 180cm will work as a full length pad. The original Neoairs were R2.5 which worked well to around freezing.

The ZPAcks Hexamid is a great shelter - I have the Plus size with beak. Consider getting a version without the net floor but get a net inner. There is no weight penalty and provides a more flexible setup.

I am interested to hear how you find the Exo pack in Australian conditions. I am looking for a pack around 35-40 litres.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby icemancometh » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 8:22 pm

Why no net floor Mark?

I'm really looking at the 2p version now so interested in hearing about your thoughts on it

Back to you John, check out this bag: http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/subalpinist.htm

This might interest you too
http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5159/big-three-backpacking-gear-items/
Last edited by icemancometh on Thu 12 Jan, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 8:56 pm

I feel keeping the fly and inner separate provides more flexibility without a weight penalty. The net floor is just weight that you carry whether or not you need it (approximately 170 g) plus you need to carry a ground sheet. You can choose whether or not to carry a net inner (around 200g) and no groundsheet required. If no inner just add a cryovac ground sheet at 40g, or on nice nights just use the net inner. I also prefer to keep my pack and wet gear outside my sleeping area to minimise any moisture getting to my quilt. The way Joe sews in the netting there not much room to do this. I do acknowledge that in really insect prone areas this may be a better solution as you could cook inside the netting rather than have to do it outside when using a separate net inner. I have used a SMD Gatewood Cape with a SMD Serenity net inner which is quite similar to the Hexamid. I found that I had little problem cooking in the vestibule (outside the netting) while maintaining a relatively insect free existence. I sometimes carry a citronella tealight candle which can help keep the mozzies at bay.

I contemplated the twin version with the main benefit being extra head height at the back (floor area is the same in the plus and the twin) but decided that pfaffing around with a second pole is likely to be a pain. I usually walk solo but occasionally my partner joins me on easier trips. My partner is quite small (155cm and 55kg) so I don't expect any real problems with squeezing her in on those occasions. I will make a separate net inner for those occasions which incorporates a 30cm high fabric band to minimise wind and blown precipitation around the sides and back of the inner.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Equipment