MSR Twin Sisters

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR Twin Sisters

Postby Bluegum Mic » Thu 21 Jul, 2011 4:47 pm

I have recently become the proud owner of a second mid tent to add to my gorgeous yellow golite shangri-la 3....a gorgeous yellow MSR Twin Sisters. Like the SL3 I can pitch this tent with my trekking poles or with a pair of supplied poles (not bad either). This will be used more for winter/snow camping though with new additions it's now a very versatile shelter :-)

This is a single skin 4 season shelter for two. It is a lovely simple A frame design with dual entrances, snow skirts and vents. It's yellow and grey 30d silnylon and feels exceptionally well made.

I had originally planned to try my hand at making a nest/inner for this tent to allow it to be used as either single or double skinned and had purchased the materials from the states to make one. The more I thought about it the more I wanted a professional finish to the nest (I think I'll take on a smaller task first). So I enlisted the help of hitchhiker from TerraRosaGear again (he made my solo nest for the SL3). I shipped the tent and materials off to him last week and my new nest was back in under a week (all whilst he's prepping for a big trip to Canada trekking).

The nest is made to cope with both summer and winter. The door panels are yellow 30d silnylon to help with spindrift (as the vents are located there) and the side panels are no see um mesh. The floor is 70d black silnylon. There are zips at both ends to make use of dual vestibules.

The tents specs are 290cm long by 150cm wide at the ends and 180cm wide in it's centre. The nest is 200cm long by 145cm wide. This gives each person 45cm as vestibule space at either end or gear at one end, cooking and enter/exit at the other.

The nest weighs just over 500g and together they weigh 1.25kg on my crappy luggage scales (so give or take a bit ;-) Either way it feels nice and light. The bag for the twin sisters is cavernous and both fit in the bag together. So my plan is when we finally get a nice day (or if my laryngitis clears by sat morning and I can go do the Coastal walk) I'm going to tie off the inner to the corners of the tent so they become integral pitch. This will work best for crap weather and will mean the tent takes about a minute to pitch :-)

A couple a shots (sorry phone quality pitched in lounge room...anyone in Sydney will understand why :-)

I hope you like my inventive use of kids toys/lounge room furniture and clothes lines in my pitch :-) A massive thanks once again to hitchhiking and his awesome work.

An infield review and photos to follow.

Cheers

Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: MSR Twin Sisters

Postby hikingoz » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow that is a nice setup. Does the MSR take much guying out or does it peg out just at the base?
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

MSR Twin Sisters

Postby Bluegum Mic » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 8:19 am

Hiya,

Just 6 pegs. Peg out the four corners then two sides bring it up at the two peaks with your hiking poles (or supplied poles). I put it up the other day and took a couple of photos (with the intention of taking more and to secure the inner via cord to the outer but then my poor toddler stacked in front of me and broke his nose so tent playing time was over- poor little lamb). I must say this tent is cavernous. With the inner there's also 30cm in the middle of each side so you could store gear there with ease. In the pics you can see the snow skirts happily flick back under and are happy to stay where you put them. I really really like this tent. Great construction. I'll test it on the coastal track in a couple of weeks and let you know how it performs.

Again apologies for the set up. It does give a really tight pitch. I just had been removing pegs to tie off the cord and replaced haphazardly. Then remembered to take snaps. The plan was to drop the tent and try out pitching as an integral pitch but..well the poor little guy went splat.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby HitchHiking » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 8:11 pm

Just stumbled onto this thread but great to hear that its working well for you Bluegum Mic and to see the pics of it all set up. Let me know how its went on the coastal track if you made it out eh.

Evan
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby gusonthemove » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 10:11 am

Hi guys. I've just picked up a Twin Sisters tarp tent. Just wondering how I could go about sourcing a similar / identical "nest" as you have highlighted on this thread?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Angus
gusonthemove
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 2:07 pm

gusonthemove wrote:Hi guys. I've just picked up a Twin Sisters tarp tent. Just wondering how I could go about sourcing a similar / identical "nest" as you have highlighted on this thread?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Angus

Contact Evan at TerraRosa, v
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment