Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1double layer Hammock (Images)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1double layer Hammock (Images)

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 5:44 pm

Packo wrote:Last week I bit the bullet and ordered my first hammock. Thanks to all the info here I too have decided on a Blackbird double layer 1.1 with webbing suspension and a Mamajamba tarp. Now all I have to do is learn how to tie knots and rig it all up. This is going to be a great learning experience. I am having fun already and I haven't even got it yet :D

Congratulations Packo. Your going to love the Warbonnet Hammock and Tarp.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby cams » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 2:29 pm

Mine just arrived :) Apart from the box looking like it was punted from the USA to here all looked ok inside. The biners it came with didn't look that great quality. I had picked up a couple of petzl ange (28g) ones to use with it anyway. Now I just have to find some trees to hang it from. Nothing hangable in my yard so I'll have to look further afield.

Now I'm just waiting on the zpacks tarp to be completed. It was a 4 week lead time which started about 3 weeks ago. Might order some whoopies in the meantime. Looks like they will be pretty easy to swap in for the webbing suspension.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 6:01 pm

About time, That was a long wait. I'm glad you can finally get to enjoy the hammock. I've read that some have ordered in July and still waiting for there hammock or tarp. That's crazy, particularly considering you have to pay up front in full. You can't go past there quality, comfort and workmanship, so it's worth the wait. I believe turn around will be improved from now, as they have upgraded to new cutting machines and a larger venue.

Whoopieslings.com is supplying a Tarp Ridge Line that will utilise the dutch clips that are mentioned on another hammock forum.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:06 am

How you finding your new Hammock cams?

I wonder if a new category could be added to the forums here for Hammock Camping?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:13 am

I had a hang in a local picnic area to test it out. Was pretty awesome. I'm still waiting for my tarp to get here before I take it out for a night (USPS express has been in transit since 30 Sep lol). It should arrive this week and I've got a climbing workshop this weekend so hopefully I'll give it a go then.
cams

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:20 am

cams wrote:I had a hang in a local picnic area to test it out. Was pretty awesome. I'm still waiting for my tarp to get here before I take it out for a night (USPS express has been in transit since 30 Sep lol). It should arrive this week and I've got a climbing workshop this weekend so hopefully I'll give it a go then.

I look for every opportunity I can get to go camping. so I can lay in my hammock. So relaxing on my back.

With this warmer weather now moving in, Hang the tarp of higher, very refreshing, With the breeze blowing on my hammock, I was getting cold underneath had to setup my Underquilt. I can see it's going to be a lot cooler in a hammock than in a tent during summer.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 2:48 pm

Just got my tarp in the mail. So small and light. Can't wait to give it a go.

uploadfromtaptalk1318826784307.jpg
cams

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 3:45 pm

Ooooo. Nice one. I think I've got tarp envy ;-) You'll have to do a review.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 4:02 pm

IN NZ thats called fly envy
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1double layer Hammock (Images)

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 4:33 pm

Post some images of your tarp, if you get a chance.

Packs very small. Is it cuben?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Macca81 » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 10:21 pm

Phillipsart wrote: Is it cuben?

The stuff sack is, so you would expect the tarp to be also, as the weight saving on a cuben sack vs sil sack would be so small that it would be just for show :P

As such, i hope he didnt just get a cuben sack ;)
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby cams » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 1:35 pm

Macca81 wrote:
Phillipsart wrote: Is it cuben?

The stuff sack is, so you would expect the tarp to be also, as the weight saving on a cuben sack vs sil sack would be so small that it would be just for show :P

As such, i hope he didnt just get a cuben sack ;)

hehe yeah. It is cuben inside too. Zpacks doorless hammock tarp. 150g before seem sealing which I did this morning. Will get some photo's of it set up this weekend while I'm away.
cams

Postby Packo » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 12:57 pm

I finally received my Blackbird and tarp on Friday. All up it was about 5 weeks from order to delivery. I set it up in the backyard on Saturday and spent the night in it. What a fantastic nights sleep. I am hooked. I do need to look at getting a wider pad as my shoulders did get a little cold using just an exped downmat 7. I will get some closed cell foam and see how that goes.
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby cams » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 1:52 pm

Packo wrote:I finally received my Blackbird and tarp on Friday. All up it was about 5 weeks from order to delivery. I set it up in the backyard on Saturday and spent the night in it. What a fantastic nights sleep. I am hooked. I do need to look at getting a wider pad as my shoulders did get a little cold using just an exped downmat 7. I will get some closed cell foam and see how that goes.

I spent my first night in mine on Friday night too up at Mt. French. Awesome campsite for hanging with an abundance of large trees and minimal undergrowth. I must say that I had the same experience with cold spots around my shoulders with a self inflating mattress (without any air in it) underneath. So I'm thinking an under quilt is definitely on the cards.

My Mont-Bell down hugger sleeping bag worked really well as a top quilt with the zipper undone all the way.

Comfort wise, I'm pretty happy. Pretty sure I got a fair amount of sleep.

The zpacks tarp went really well too. I'm annoyed I forgot to get a photo but it had just the right amount of coverage I reackon. And it pitched really nicely with only 4 guylines and stayed that way for the whole night and day. Happy with my tarp pitching methods too. Just using mini line locs at each end of the ridge with some 2mm dyneema line out to each tree. So to set up I just wrap the line around the tree and through a loop in the end of the cord, then just thread it through the line loc and tighten.
cams

Postby photohiker » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 8:22 am

cams wrote:Will get some photo's of it set up this weekend while I'm away.

Bump. :D

That was 3 weeks ago! Need photos :)

I'm thinking zpacks or hammockgear cf tarp with doors. Looking for Aussie reviews...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 9:35 am

Phillipsart wrote:http://www.youtube.com/embed/4V44-bu7J-U

I got to learn how to embed these video's.

Phillipsart,

You just need to use the group of number/letters/symbols after the "?v=" or "embed/" and before the first "&" between youtube tags (see code example below).

Using the video you posted for example. The whole URL is: "http://www.youtube.com/embed/4V44-bu7J-U". You only need to paste the "4V44-bu7J-U" bit in between youtube BB Code tags. So this code:
Code: Select all
[youtube]4V44-bu7J-U[/youtube]

Produces this video:

I hope this makes sense and is of some help.

Cheers,
Michael.

P.S. Now you guys have got me looking at hammocks. I think I have got the bug too. :D Oh, yeah, before I forget, funny video. :lol:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Re: Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1double layer Hammock (Images)

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:16 am

michael_p wrote:
Phillipsart wrote:http://www.youtube.com/embed/4V44-bu7J-U

I got to learn how to embed these video's.

Phillipsart,

You just need to use the group of number/letters/symbols after the "?v=" or "embed/" and before the first "&" between youtube tags (see code example below).

Using the video you posted for example. The whole URL is: "http://www.youtube.com/embed/4V44-bu7J-U". You only need to paste the "4V44-bu7J-U" bit in between youtube BB Code tags. So this code:
Code: Select all
[youtube]4V44-bu7J-U[/youtube]

Produces this video:

I hope this makes sense and is of some help.

Cheers,
Michael.

P.S. Now you guys have got me looking at hammocks. I think I have got the bug too. :D Oh, yeah, before I forget, funny video. :lol:

Thanks Michael.
I understand now. This always had me confused

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes, that tarp in the video is a classic. Very hard to come by I believe. Very easily lost.
It's got better camo than my tarp.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Tue 15 Nov, 2011 8:53 am

photohiker wrote:
cams wrote:Will get some photo's of it set up this weekend while I'm away.

Bump. :D

That was 3 weeks ago! Need photos :)

I'm thinking zpacks or hammockgear cf tarp with doors. Looking for Aussie reviews...

Sorry. :( I did take it away for a night but I forgot to get photo's. Haven't had it out again since. The size seems good though. Plenty of coverage. Being my first cf tarp or tent I was really happy, as most people seem to be, with the pitching characteristics of it. It was really easy to get taught and it stayed that way. As you'd expect, the ends are fairly open so doesn't provide much privacy.

My only doubt about it is with the strength of the material itself and how it will hold up to branches falling on it etc. Combined with the expense of it just makes me a bit nervous. It is amazing material though and much stronger than the weight of it makes you think.
cams

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 15 Nov, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm also curious as to how CF will cope with UV light in the long run.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Macca81 » Tue 15 Nov, 2011 7:09 pm

A quick search pulled up this...

Dyneema® is an UHMwPE fiber. DSM invented it 20 years ago and it's been in production since 1990. The fiber is incredibly versatile with virtually limitless applications. The fiber is manufactured by means of a gel-spinning process that combines extreme strength with incredible softness. So what are the properties that make this fiber so special?

High strength/low weight – Dyneema® is 15 times stronger than steel, and 40% stronger than aramids on a weight-for-weight basis.
Low specific gravity (0.97) - Dyneema® floats on water and is ideal for lightweight solutions.
Excellent chemical resistance - Dyneema® is chemically inert, and independent studies have confirmed that Dyneema® performs well in dry, wet, salty and humid conditions, as well as other situations where chemicals are present.
UV resistant – Products made with Dyneema® fiber show strong resistance to photo degradation when exposed to UV light. The high UV resistance of the fiber ensures continuing high performance.
Moisture resistant - Dyneema® fiber is hydrophobic. It resists water absorption, providing an extra level of protection and durability.
High durability - Dyneema® fiber can withstand the harshest environments for a longer time. This is due to its inherent strength, and its resistance to many damaging chemical agents..
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 7:27 pm

Just returned home from 3 days camping on the coast just behind a dune, Best nights sleep in my Warbonnet Hammock. :D :D
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 1:33 pm

Returned from another overnight camp, this time I was told there is no trees, It was painful having to have to pack the tent instead of my hammock. I had a terrible nights sleep, woke up through out the night with a sore stiff back, just couldn't get comfy. Give me a hammock any day. In the end, there was trees I could have used. Will not make that mistake again.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 2:05 pm

Phillip,

You've got the Superfly haven't you? It wouldn't take much to pitch it on the ground if you need to, especially if you normally use the poles in your avatar.

Last trip, I carried both the tent and the hammock. Used the tent 1 night out of 7. I'm now equipping myself with a fly that will be suitable for going to ground, and in future unless a tent is a requirement I plan to only carry the hammock gear with extra necessities for ground pitching (sleeping pad, groundsheet; So +4-500g). Even with that ground capability weight impost, the hammock kit is lighter than the tent kit.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 24 Dec, 2011 5:14 pm

photohiker wrote:Phillip,

You've got the Superfly haven't you? It wouldn't take much to pitch it on the ground if you need to, especially if you normally use the poles in your avatar.

Last trip, I carried both the tent and the hammock. Used the tent 1 night out of 7. I'm now equipping myself with a fly that will be suitable for going to ground, and in future unless a tent is a requirement I plan to only carry the hammock gear with extra necessities for ground pitching (sleeping pad, groundsheet; So +4-500g). Even with that ground capability weight impost, the hammock kit is lighter than the tent kit.

Hi Michael, Sorry I have taken so long to respond. been out traveling, hiking, camping for most of this month, Returned back home this morning.
I've spent more nights in my hammock this month than any other bed and my back is thanking me for it. Some of the best sleep i've had in a long time. I'm dreading having to have to sleep in my bed tonight, that thing is like a torture machine. I'll probably end up pumping up my air bed and sleeping on it tonight.

Just wish I could have a winner with this shoe battle I'm having. might just go purchase a pair of sandshoes instead.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 27 Apr, 2012 11:34 am

This splicing business is less hassle than I thought it was.

Moved to the Hammock Setups topic
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 1:31 pm

photohiker wrote:
ofuros wrote:Price vs Weight....Durability ?
As long as they last as long as a Superfly etc.....otherwise i can see the $ per gram going up ! :shock:
Will be interested in the longeviety of your tarp over a period of time....hopefully you'll keep us posted....
big wieght savings though !
Or maybe I'll just check it out myself.....ooh the temptation :mrgreen:

My tarp?? I don't have one, I'm just fantasising here. :D

After checking out Hammock Forums (heck, that's a busy and helpful forum!), I've put my toe in the water for a Hammock. (thanks Phil, :) that's your fault!) Will worry about a tarp later if it works out, but Tyvec is cheap to play with. Perhaps a minimalist tarp and a full-on tarp like the superfly or cuben variant would be the go. As far as I can tell, cuben is quite strong, stronger than silnylon. Weak durability points are abrasion and seam strength and sealing if the seams are sewn (silicone sealer doesn't stick well to cuben apparently) Bonded seams don't have those problems. On the plus side, it doesn't stretch, and it doesn't absorb moisture like silnylon.

MLD reckon they have never had a cuben tarp fail...

You should buy one and report back, its only 300 smackeroos. :mrgreen:

I will be able to report on the Cuben tarp soon, as I have ordered one. ETA two weeks.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 1:47 pm

Im a little torn as I have both. My sil tarp is a flat tarp and gives fantastic coverage (like your superfly you can really close this down over you like a tent). I also have the macat 4 season but is cat cut. It is absolutely amazing in really windy conditions...stays drum tight and doesn't flap or move. Ive had it out when we received 150mm of rain in two nights and I didn't like having the cat cut as there was a little bit of splash up (note this was extremely awful weather and the two trees were on a slope so I was higher off the ground one end to the other). That being said it performed flawlessly and Id highly recommend it...It was just one of those nights I would have loved my big red TRG prospecting tarp

ImageImage
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wingnut » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 11:17 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Returned from another overnight camp, this time I was told there is no trees, It was painful having to have to pack the tent instead of my hammock. I had a terrible nights sleep, woke up through out the night with a sore stiff back, just couldn't get comfy. Give me a hammock any day. In the end, there was trees I could have used. Will not make that mistake again.

I was going to ask what happens when you don't have any trees?

I was considering getting a 1 man tent soon to ad to my 2 man tents but then considered a hammock, problem is I like to camp in the desert so I gather this is a no go?

I personally sleep in a hammock at home...have done for a while now...
Wingnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Equipment