Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1double layer Hammock (Images)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 11:38 am

Going to have to wait for my report of use on the hike I planned this weekend, came down with a bad case of the flu, had to cancel. Postponing the hike till the 29th august. I've never felt as bad as I have in the past few days, bit better today, but still have a fever and sore muscles.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:04 pm

I should be laying in my new hammock as I type on my first night of my solo hike, damn, this flu.

I am over the worst of it, but my lower back is in a lot of pain, probably, because of the nasty cough I've had.
3 weeks now I've had this virus, I'm on some heavy pain killers at the moment, can't walk longer than half hour, so much pain sets in before I have to stop and lay down.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1double layer Hammock (Images)

Postby ninjapuppet » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 2:44 am

Phillipsart wrote: ...

my lower back is in a lot of pain, probably, because of the nasty cough I've had.

... or if somehow, you discover its probably because of the hammock, .... PM me :D I would only be too happy to take away the cause of your back pain if its found to be the cause
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 5:11 am

people get sicker in winter because their vitamin d drops, low vitamin d = low immune systtem, get midday sun on your skin for vitamin d, or supplement it in large doses short term. 20,000 IU's a day plus take anti oxidants, high dose vitamin c helps.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Jellybean » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 8:57 am

ninjapuppet wrote:

my lower back is in a lot of pain, probably, because of the nasty cough I've had.

... or if somehow, you discover its probably because of the hammock, .... PM me :D I would only be too happy to take away the cause of your back pain if its found to be the cause

That's very generous NP, offering to fly up to QLD and offer your chiropractic services to relieve Phil's back pain! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:35 pm

ninjapuppet wrote:

:). Good try.

I couldnt stand this sore back, so I've put my hammock up and laying in it now. It's only been a few minutes and already my back feels so much better.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:44 pm

I've put my Superfly up, so I can seam seal the side tie outs and the wind have picked up to storm conditions, those tarp guy lines with stretchers from whoopieslings.com are not very good in windy conditions on a stretchy tarp. My opinion I think there a waste of money, save your money. I had one flung the peg out like a rocket from the ground. Brandon did mention this to me, best to use straight cord and pitch tight. You can't get the tarp tight enough with all that fancy rope.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 3:16 pm

I wondered about those. Be ok in light winds and rain I guess.

I've had a look at a few of the videos on HF, doesn't look like they cop a lot of wind judging by the loose peg placements I've seen so far.

Anywhere I've camped, I'd want some decent pegs in the ground if I had a superfly...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 8:06 am

Phillipsart wrote:I've put my Superfly up, so I can seam seal the side tie outs and the wind have picked up to storm conditions, those tarp guy lines with stretchers from whoopieslings.com are not very good in windy conditions on a stretchy tarp. My opinion I think there a waste of money, save your money. I had one flung the peg out like a rocket from the ground. Brandon did mention this to me, best to use straight cord and pitch tight. You can't get the tarp tight enough with all that fancy rope.

There is a very simple solution with the tensioners in very windy conditions, it's simple, don't use the tensioners, the design allows you to use the guy lines with out the tensioners, works great. All is good now. Simply use the other end of the guy lines without the tensioners.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 4:00 pm

My hammock Gear, could not be any better. Last week on my hike in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. I survived Leeches, ticks and storms. Not one drop of water got on me at any stage in my hammock under my Camo Superfly Tarp. The best purchase I've made in a long time.

Here's a few more images of my hammock gear in action last week.
Attachments
IMG_4846.jpg
IMG_4855.jpg
IMG_4901.jpg
IMG_4904.jpg
IMG_4907.jpg
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 4:15 pm

Looks huge!

Did you get any condensation?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 4:28 pm

How do you get in to the tarp? Do the doors peg down with shock cord or something? Looks like a pretty sweet setup.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 4:37 pm

photohiker wrote:Looks huge!

Did you get any condensation?

You know, I was concerned about condensation with this tarp, prior to the trip, but a had nothing to worry about. No there was no condensation. The inside of the tarp remained dry at all times.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 4:39 pm

cams wrote:How do you get in to the tarp? Do the doors peg down with shock cord or something? Looks like a pretty sweet setup.

Yes, I used shock cord on the doors, It was a simple matter to unclip the door to get in or out.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Wed 07 Sep, 2011 8:18 pm

Looks the goods phillipsart....
You've got me thinking about replacing my HH std tarp
with something a little larger, for better all round protection.

Still have vivid memories of being buffeted by squally high winds & horizontal rain in the Tassie highlands.
My eyes & nose the only things poking out of my mummy sleeping bag, hoping the tent holds...& loving every
nail biting moment. Mother nature in all her glory. :wink:

Love the camo.

ofuros
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 12:37 pm

Well. I just ordered a dbl layer 1.1 Blackbird. I've been thinking of trying out a hammock of some sort since last year and the good reviews just keep popping up everywhere I read. I just got the adjustable webbing straps. Will have to find a tarp somewhere. Cuben would be nice. :) Will have to see how rich I feel.

Thanks for the thorough photo's and information Phil. Definitely helped the decision.
cams

Postby ofuros » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 3:16 pm

Cringes $@%* ...at the cuben tarp price tag.....now if they came in
colours apart from the grease proof paper look....I might be tempted at the right price. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 3:35 pm

Price vs weight.

The Superfly is over 500g. Cuben tarps look to be about 185g. All plus guylines I think?

Seems the cuben tarps are all about $300. Dearest Superfly is $155. Freight _should_ be cheaper on the cubens :)

Anyway, $150-$180 to save ~315g That's only 60c per gram! :mrgreen:

Not much sleeping in with that, but then nice to see out as well.

Maybe. :|
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 4:44 pm

Price vs Weight....Durability ?
As long as they last as long as a Superfly etc.....otherwise i can see the $ per gram going up ! :shock:
Will be interested in the longeviety of your tarp over a period of time....hopefully you'll keep us posted....
big wieght savings though !
Or maybe I'll just check it out myself.....ooh the temptation :mrgreen:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 6:06 pm

ofuros wrote:Price vs Weight....Durability ?
As long as they last as long as a Superfly etc.....otherwise i can see the $ per gram going up ! :shock:
Will be interested in the longeviety of your tarp over a period of time....hopefully you'll keep us posted....
big wieght savings though !
Or maybe I'll just check it out myself.....ooh the temptation :mrgreen:

My tarp?? I don't have one, I'm just fantasising here. :D

After checking out Hammock Forums (heck, that's a busy and helpful forum!), I've put my toe in the water for a Hammock. (thanks Phil, :) that's your fault!) Will worry about a tarp later if it works out, but Tyvec is cheap to play with. Perhaps a minimalist tarp and a full-on tarp like the superfly or cuben variant would be the go. As far as I can tell, cuben is quite strong, stronger than silnylon. Weak durability points are abrasion and seam strength and sealing if the seams are sewn (silicone sealer doesn't stick well to cuben apparently) Bonded seams don't have those problems. On the plus side, it doesn't stretch, and it doesn't absorb moisture like silnylon.

MLD reckon they have never had a cuben tarp fail...

You should buy one and report back, its only 300 smackeroos. :mrgreen:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 7:12 pm

Oooops, I thought that was your cuben tarp pic above... :o
Great view through the tarp though !

Thanks for the details, photohiker....still not completely sold on cuben...
I mean, my Hennessy Hammock only around weighs just over a kilo all up, anyway,
much the same as my Hubba tent, its just so much kinder to this aging, side sleeping back of mine.

Plus for that price, I could get cheap flight to Tassie or NZ....& scratch that adventurous itch !

Enjoy your hammocking,
Cheers,
ofuros
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 08 Sep, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 8:23 pm

Well I lashed out on a zpacks hammock tarp without the doors. 142g and $235 which is lighter, larger and cheaper than most other cf tarps I looked at. Lets hope I like sleeping in a tarp.

I've had a look at whoopieslings.com and one thing I don't get is why the tarp set up stuff is so complicated with all sorts of wierd nite ize products and straps and prussiks. What's wrong with some dyneema cord and some miniature line locs? Works for tarps on the ground.
cams

Postby photohiker » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 8:36 pm

cams wrote:Well I lashed out on a zpacks hammock tarp without the doors. 142g and $235 which is lighter, larger and cheaper than most other cf tarps I looked at. Lets hope I like sleeping in a tarp.

I've had a look at whoopieslings.com and one thing I don't get is why the tarp set up stuff is so complicated with all sorts of wierd nite ize products and straps and prussiks. What's wrong with some dyneema cord and some miniature line locs? Works for tarps on the ground.

Ooh! Master. Please report! :)

Well, if you are just looking for a ridgeline, you don't need that Nite Ize stuff. It looks convenient and all, but line locs should be fine. The main draw of the whoopies is for hammock suspension. I have to say that I like the concept of the Nite Ize DogBone more than their figure 9 stuff, but I have not used them. Ask Phil. :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Marwood » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 8:44 pm

These and some Zing-It are all you need.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby missingdna » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 9:02 pm

love the blackbird hammocks (from what ive been reading)
looking at making the blackbird my "warmer weather" hammock and keeping my clark nx150 for the colder months.
Terra Rosa are an Aussie cottage shop that make tarps. Im yet to upgrade from the standard clark tarp but when i do i'll bee looking local first..

frankie
missingdna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 10:50 pm

cams wrote:Well I lashed out on a zpacks hammock tarp without the doors. 142g and $235 which is lighter, larger and cheaper than most other cf tarps I looked at. Lets hope I like sleeping in a tarp.

The whoopieslings.com tarp ridge line, works very well. Makes for quick setup and adjustment, no knots to tie.
The tarp guy lines with the tensioners don't work so well with a bit of wind about.

Congratulations on your purchase of a blackbird. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I am. One important advice I can give, make sure you set the hammock straps at 30 degrees, and get the whoopieslings. Whoopieslings are so much lighter and quick to setup and adjust. There's hardly any effort involved in setting up camp.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 10:56 pm

photohiker wrote:

Ooh! Master. Please report! :)

Well, if you are just looking for a ridgeline, you don't need that Nite Ize stuff. It looks convenient and all, but line locs should be fine. The main draw of the whoopies is for hammock suspension. I have to say that I like the concept of the Nite Ize DogBone more than their figure 9 stuff, but I have not used them. Ask Phil. :)

The figure 9's so far are working great. Makes for a very quick setup. The only thing I don't like about the figure 9's is where the line is locked in, it appears to roughing up the line a bit. I don't know the line will be like long term. Time will tell.

The dog bone are excellent. No issues there.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 11:01 pm

If you do purchase the whoopieslings.com tarp ridge line, don't do what I done, went and purchased a bright yellow color. It stands out like a sore thumb. Get the grey instead. The grey blends into the background. Particularly if you want to be in stealth mode.

Camo tarp with a bright yellow ridge line. I don't know what I was thinking off when I placed the order.

I highly recommend a down under quilt. Warbonnet make excellent UQ. I've got the 3-season Yeti.

Hammockgear.com also make some excellent quilts. I ordered a 20F Burrow top quilt a few days ago. They where on sale at 20% off.

Slowly bit by bit, I'm getting my pack weight and volume down.

My base pack weight is currently apx 9.5 Kg.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Marwood » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 7:39 am

Phillipsart wrote:I ordered a 20F Burrow top quilt a few days ago.

Top quilt good down to -6°C? Superfly with doors = full coverage tarp? I thought the weather was better than that up in QLD. :D :D :D

Just curious about where your trips take you, since I've found the smaller, doorless, Edge tarp fine for here in NSW, and I'm planning on getting a 40°F Burrow. Though I'll probably need to supplement it with a S2S thermal liner in the wintertime up in the hills. +1 on the WB 3-season Yeti...
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 8:04 am

Marwood wrote:doorless, Edge tarp fine for here in NSW, and I'm planning on getting a 40°F Burrow. Though I'll probably need to supplement it with a S2S thermal liner in the wintertime up in the hills. +1 on the WB 3-season Yeti...

Edge tarp in wind and rain report pretty please? :)

I can see the advantage of a full tarp with doors down in Tas, but other trips not so sure.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment