Looking to buy new boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Looking to buy new boots

Postby kevjoh » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 3:02 pm

Moved to Melb few years ago and now need to replace my hiking boots. Can anyone put me on to good outdoor shop were they actually use the gear they sell instead of a generic shop with 15yr old who do not know a sandal from a boot.
kevjoh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Looking to buy new boots

Postby JohnM » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 4:25 pm

Bogong in Little Bourke St, have a great range and V. good staff who walk the walk (so to speak).
JohnM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 8:28 pm

I like the Wilderness shop in box hill.
I bought some asolo boots from there once.
I looked up a heap of reviews on boots on-line first, then went to a few shops around Melbourne and tried on the ones I'd shortlisted.
It's also good to have basic fitting knowledge (again gleaned on-line or from someone who knows what they are talking about), just in case the sales assistant do not know what they are talking about.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Genesis » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 7:05 am

As far as shops I am In TAS I cannot help, But as for Boots I recently bought my a pair of Asolo TPS 535 and am extremly happy. Just my 2 cents.

Apparently aussies have wide feet compared to europeans, must be our convict heritage :)
But I agree With Tofu_Imprint, reviews, forums and shortlist. This can become a bit tedious but worth it when you have a good pair of boots to set you free...

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:50 pm

My advice: Do not buy a boot based on a review! Buy the boot that feels best on your feet.
Boots will feel strange if you are not used to them... so I suggest trying different ones on, as many as you can, until you can grasp what feels "best".

Another tip is to try on boots (or shoes in general) in the afternoon. Believe it or not your foot will swell up during they day (if you are on them), and it can be enough to make a difference as far as fit goes.

Good luck!
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 8:15 pm

JohnM wrote:Bogong in Little Bourke St, have a great range and V. good staff who walk the walk (so to speak).

Yeah, but they no longer stock the Asolo TPS 535. I had to go to Box Hill to get a pair. :(
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 8:23 pm

I have some Asolo TPS 520 boots. They have performed very well.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment