Gaiters - What are the most bomb proof?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Gaiters - What are the most bomb proof?

Postby north-north-west » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:04 pm

biggbird wrote:Who knows, maybe it's just my unreasonably large calves?

I've seen someone else have the same problem. It's worse in scrub because the clip can catch or be pulled out.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 1:21 pm

Who knows, maybe it's just my unreasonably large calves?

Well I just bought the canvas Quagmires for me and my partner so I hope I won't have that problem. My calves are unreasonably skinny so I might find it a struggle to get them closed tight enough at the top! I bought medium size based on the size guide but maybe small would have been better. I was going to get the OR Crocs but found the Quagmires on sale at a very good price.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby biggbird » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 3:35 pm

Strider wrote:Are you talking about this version?

Them's the ones.
biggbird

Postby Drew » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 11:24 am

Well I just bought the canvas Quagmires for me and my partner so I hope I won't have that problem. My calves are unreasonably skinny so I might find it a struggle to get them closed tight enough at the top! I bought medium size based on the size guide but maybe small would have been better. I was going to get the OR Crocs but found the Quagmires on sale at a very good price.

Fail for the Quagmires. They've only been used on a couple of walks and the press stud on one of my partner's gaiters has broken. Mine are still fine and I've found them pretty comfortable, but I guess that press stud (for closure around the ankle) is a weak point and only a matter of time before it goes.
Drew

Postby biggbird » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:36 pm

Drew wrote:

Fail for the Quagmires. They've only been used on a couple of walks and the press stud on one of my partner's gaiters has broken. Mine are still fine and I've found them pretty comfortable, but I guess that press stud (for closure around the ankle) is a weak point and only a matter of time before it goes.

Fair enough, though personally I find the pop-stud one of the least required features of the gaiters, and frequently don't bother to do mine up. As far as I can tell, it's basically just to help keep the long velcro section a bit more closed and less prone to being pulled open by scrub etc, and has never really been an issue for me.

Still don't like the top closure, and I still keep meaning to write to S2S about it... One day.
biggbird

Postby Drew » Mon 09 May, 2016 2:16 pm

Fair enough, though personally I find the pop-stud one of the least required features of the gaiters, and frequently don't bother to do mine up. As far as I can tell, it's basically just to help keep the long velcro section a bit more closed and less prone to being pulled open by scrub etc, and has never really been an issue for me.

True, it's certainly not the most important part of the gaiter. I guess it could help keep things in place when deep mud is trying to suck your leg in. Regardless, if it's on there it should work and not break within a few wears! I sent them back to Wild Earth who have sent them back to Sea to Summit for further inspection. Still waiting for a replacement pair.
Drew

Postby benjabimon » Tue 10 May, 2016 10:00 am

Does anyone have any suggestion for women's specific gaiters? My girlfriend is looking to get some soon :) Suggestions are welcome.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 10 May, 2016 10:11 am

Maybe this isn't the right thread but... I have goretex quaqmire gaiters that are probably 5+ years old. They've only seen heavy use in the last year though, buht they're definitely on the way out. There's a split close to to boot strap in one, and the strap attachment fabric is coming off on the other.

Is this a patching job or should I just buy new ? I imagine they will be very difficult to sew, or should I take them to a shoe repair place where they can probably stitch through anything ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 10 May, 2016 12:17 pm

benjabimon wrote:Does anyone have any suggestion for women's specific gaiters? My girlfriend is looking to get some soon :) Suggestions are welcome.

Gaiters are unisex, not sure why you would require women specific ones?
Mountain Rocket

Postby benjabimon » Tue 10 May, 2016 12:36 pm

Robert H wrote:Gaiters are unisex, not sure why you would require women specific ones?
You might have a point. I have seen that some manufacturers make female specific ones, maybe due to differences in the average calf size? I donno.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickl » Tue 10 May, 2016 1:50 pm

Robert H wrote:
benjabimon wrote:Does anyone have any suggestion for women's specific gaiters? My girlfriend is looking to get some soon :)

If she's not after bomb proof and girly looking ones check out these https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/ and they might be suitable. They are sold in Australia I think so you should be able to find a re seller locally.
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Tue 10 May, 2016 2:21 pm

CasualNerd wrote:Maybe this isn't the right thread but... I have goretex quaqmire gaiters that are probably 5+ years old. They've only seen heavy use in the last year though, buht they're definitely on the way out. There's a split close to to boot strap in one, and the strap attachment fabric is coming off on the other.

Is this a patching job or should I just buy new ? I imagine they will be very difficult to sew, or should I take them to a shoe repair place where they can probably stitch through anything ?

I keep my gaiters going much longer through rough repair work. A mix of hand stitching and contact adhesive. If you don't have the necessary stuff to stitch at home, shoe repair places are usually pretty good at that sort of thing.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby benjabimon » Wed 11 May, 2016 9:55 am

Mickl wrote:If she's not after bomb proof and girly looking ones check out these https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/ and they might be suitable. They are sold in Australia I think so you should be able to find a re seller locally.
Thank you :) I will give them a look in.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 11 May, 2016 10:15 am

north-north-west wrote:I keep my gaiters going much longer through rough repair work. A mix of hand stitching and contact adhesive. If you don't have the necessary stuff to stitch at home, shoe repair places are usually pretty good at that sort of thing.

Any details on the brand or type of adhesive ? Thanks.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:46 pm

Depends what is being repaired. Sometimes a waterproof contact adhesive gel by Selleys. In doesn't last forever but long enough. I've used it on the big velcro strips on the front closure, and also tried rough stitching with whipping twine. Both work well enough. Patching is with heavy duty cloth tape (basically binding tape), with a dose of Selleys spray adhesive on the gaiter first, and plenty of weight on the patch until dry.
The hooks have gone on both from the current pair, so the front has been tied to the bootlaces. Underfoot strap replaced with wire scrounged during walks.
It's all very rough and ready but it works and is a lot cheaper than replacing gaiters every time they have a minor problem - which is *&%$#! often if you do a lot of scrubbashing in Tassie.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 11 May, 2016 2:03 pm

north-north-west wrote:It's all very rough and ready but it works and is a lot cheaper than replacing gaiters every time they have a minor problem - which is *&%$#! often if you do a lot of scrubbashing in Tassie.

I'm beginning to realise this. These don't have a lot of hours of use, really, so I better get as much life out of them as I can. Thanks.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hermione » Thu 12 May, 2016 5:23 pm

Yes I've found my gaiters generally last pretty well at home in WA, but none have stood up particularly well to Tasmanian conditions.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 1:09 pm

Just spotted these: http://tasgear.com.au/products/gaiters- ... 8911816325
Made in Launceston. Look really good although personally I'd prefer to see 10oz canvas, but hey I'm sure 8oz would do the job!
Mountain Rocket

Postby Scottyk » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 4:51 pm

Robert H wrote:Just spotted these: http://tasgear.com.au/products/gaiters- ... 8911816325
Made in Launceston. Look really good although personally I'd prefer to see 10oz canvas, but hey I'm sure 8oz would do the job!

Hi Robert
That would be me!

The 8oz canvas I use is nice and stiff which I like. Holds them up nicely, nothing worse than gaiters that fall down. I could have gone 10oz but I think it is not really a likely failure point. Plus the extra weight all adds up.

Happy to answer anyone's questions on them.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby hairypanic » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 7:37 pm

How well do good canvas gaiters breath (like the above tasgear or sea to summit)? Or is that not really the point of them as they are meant to take a pounding?
And would they be alright in snow?
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Scottyk » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 8:51 pm

hairypanic wrote:How well do good canvas gaiters breath (like the above tasgear or sea to summit)? Or is that not really the point of them as they are meant to take a pounding?
And would they be alright in snow?

Canvas breaths really well when it's dry, doesn't breathe when wet.
For a fabric to breath when it's wet it needs to have a dwr treatment like e-vent. Unfortunately with gaiters this doesn't last very long as vegetation rubs it off.
The feature of canvas I really like is the gaiter is stiff enough have the top cinching loose so you get some venting. Gaiters that fall down when you do this are a pain.
I have had my gaiters out in snow, only a few cm but they were fine.
Last edited by Scottyk on Mon 25 Jul, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby hairypanic » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks,

I will probably only go in the snow 2-3 times a year, I like the idea of canvas for scrub bashing in snake country.
I borrowed a friends gortex gaiters in the snow and were fantastic, but if canvas holds up fine I might go that way, especially if they breathe when dry
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Equipment