Gaiters - What are the most bomb proof?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Gaiters - What are the most bomb proof?

Postby Gusto » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 3:53 pm

Both the W.E. and One Planet ones look really good. I'm sure that either would perfect for a serious walker. As for the Mooraka Snake Proof ones. They are outrageously expensive. I'd expect/hope they would be more than perfect for that price.

I'm going to order a set of the OP ones as I've decided that my current ones have had it. My main reason for going for the One Planet ones is that I expect that I can get them faster. I want them by Friday. I've got a big walk coming up (12 days).

I'd like it if in the sizing the websites mentioned circumference of calf/lower leg as well as boot size. It's tricky ordering Gaiters that I haven't tried on before. I have big calves (cows even) and some gaiters just don't fit around my leg.

I'll post my thoughts of the One Planets Gaiters in a month or so
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 4:00 pm

Gusto wrote:Both the W.E. and One Planet ones look really good. I'm sure that either would perfect for a serious walker. As for the Mooraka Snake Proof ones. They are outrageously expensive. I'd expect/hope they would be more than perfect for that price.

I'm going to order a set of the OP ones as I've decided that my current ones have had it. My main reason for going for the One Planet ones is that I expect that I can get them faster. I want them by Friday. I've got a big walk coming up (12 days).

I'd like it if in the sizing the websites mentioned circumference of calf/lower leg as well as boot size. It's tricky ordering Gaiters that I haven't tried on before. I have big calves (cows even) and some gaiters just don't fit around my leg.

I'll post my thoughts of the One Planets Gaiters in a month or so

My current OP gaiters have lasted 4 or 5 times i usually get out of a pair of sts. Very happy with mine.
Im boot size 44.5, and take a medium gaiter. Hope that helps
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby roysta » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 2:28 pm

The OR Expedition Crocodiles travel pretty well if you want to add another one to the mix.
I used Crocs in southern Tassie, did well.
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby baldhead » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 4:37 pm

Has anyone tried the Aspiring canvas gaiters from NZ
Supposedly heavy duty canvas

They are rear opening
baldhead
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Azza » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 5:06 pm

baldhead wrote:Has anyone tried the Aspiring canvas gaiters from NZ
Supposedly heavy duty canvas

They are rear opening

I've looked at them a few times when over in NZ. Can't say I was impressed enough to want to buy a pair. But I don't really remember.

The problem is not so much the fabric.. The stitching disintegrates..
I can repair a tear in the gaiter no worries, but when the stitching unravels and the hooks fall off a couple of weeks after you buy them you tend to get a little annoyed.

All these gaiters perform fine on track in Tassie for the occasional walk.
Its not until your going off track on a regular basis and giving them a decent work out in the scrub that you realise if a particular model is up to the job.
Something which doesn't seem to get tested by the manufacturers - then they'd realise!!
Whats the story with hyped up new Macpac gaiters? I went in to have a look a few weeks back and couldn't see anything resembling an extra tough gaiter.

Anyway I think I'll be opting for the OnePlanet RFG's in the not too distant future.
Azza

Postby Azza » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 5:12 pm

P1020101-faults.jpg

Here is my Sea to Summit gaiter graveyard... They didn't much like this being posted on their facebook page.
Most of the stitching blown down the front and has been restitched. All the hooks are missing or about to go missing.

I think I've thrown a few other pairs away. Why do I keep buying then?? hmm.. I guess I like the basic design.
Azza

Postby Gusto » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 6:24 pm

What about Cactus Gear Gaiters??

http://www.cactusclimbing.co.nz/virtuemart-mainmenu-162?page=shop.browse&category_id=76&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=162

Cactus has a reputation for making durable stuff
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Azza » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 6:43 pm

Gusto wrote:What about Cactus Gear Gaiters??

http://www.cactusclimbing.co.nz/virtuemart-mainmenu-162?page=shop.browse&category_id=76&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=162

Cactus has a reputation for making durable stuff

I have a pair... the stitching fell apart, I sewed them back up and persisted for a while, but now they live out the back in my gaiter graveyard with the sea to summits..
Azza

Postby corvus » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 8:12 pm

Don't put a lot of faith in the WE Canvas gaiters for Tasmanian use, the canvas where it has little folds above the stitching onto the "cordura" developed wear holes on mine and the cuff over the boot is at least 15mm too long resulting in the bottom edge where the shock cord pulls them close showing early sign of abrasion .
As a 20 year long time user of WE gear it looks like I will be buying OP RFG Gaiters next time.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Strider » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:13 pm

corvus wrote:Don't put a lot of faith in the WE Canvas gaiters for Tasmanian use, the canvas where it has little folds above the stitching onto the "cordura" developed wear holes on mine and the cuff over the boot is at least 15mm too long resulting in the bottom edge where the shock cord pulls them close showing early sign of abrasion .

Sounds like you needed a smaller size. I wear WE Small's with size 42 boots.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sun 19 Feb, 2012 9:24 pm

Strider wrote:
corvus wrote:Don't put a lot of faith in the WE Canvas gaiters for Tasmanian use, the canvas where it has little folds above the stitching onto the "cordura" developed wear holes on mine and the cuff over the boot is at least 15mm too long resulting in the bottom edge where the shock cord pulls them close showing early sign of abrasion .

Sounds like you needed a smaller size. I wear WE Small's with size 42 boots.

No sorry I wear 45 boots used Large and did ask Ian at WE if if I needed smaller size and he advised that the ones he had "sent me to test" were the correct size .
With respect where do you wear you gaiters :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Strider » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 5:05 am

Might be the profile of the boots you are wearing then? I tried mediums at first and they sat as you described, hence I went the smalls to get the bottom edge up off the ground. Or perhaps you're just more hardcore than me :P

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 6:51 pm

G'day Strider ,
Not very hard core but do a lot of "off made track" walking :)
Gaiter were used with my 12year old Garmont full leather , 3 year old AKU full Leather Boots and my el cheapo ones and on all of them they sit too low and will /are subject to early abrasion :(
As previously posted I spoke to Ian from WE and he said that the Large were the correct ones for my boot size :? .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby blacksheep » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 7:21 pm

If anyone is keen on our torre gaiters, pm me..half price for the first 5 that want some.
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Strider » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 7:34 pm

blacksheep wrote:If anyone is keen on our torre gaiters, pm me..half price for the first 5 that want some.

I did want some. But, they took so long to be released (and are still not available in Aus!) that I purchased elsewhere. Shame cause they actually look good :(
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gusto » Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:44 pm

Possibly a rod or stiff wire inserted in the gaiter to ensure it continues to stay up without the gaiter being done up tight.

I don't know if this would be put along the shin bone at the front or on the side. Either way, not the back due to the curve of calf muscles.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pazzar » Tue 21 Feb, 2012 1:04 pm

Gusto wrote:Possibly a rod or stiff wire inserted in the gaiter to ensure it continues to stay up without the gaiter being done up tight.

I don't know if this would be put along the shin bone at the front or on the side. Either way, not the back due to the curve of calf muscles.

Sounds like you just need a heavier canvas, I never have issues with canvas not holding shape. Or a Kevlar reinforcement maybe, but then you lose any breath ability. Also having your gaiters loose decreases water resistance, but I understand that you don't want them too tight
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 21 Feb, 2012 1:14 pm

Gusto wrote:Possibly a rod or stiff wire inserted in the gaiter to ensure it continues to stay up without the gaiter being done up tight.

WE gaiters do this on the shin.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi

Gave my OP gaiters a good work out for eight days in WA. Result? Wrapped. Best gaiter by far I have ever used :D :D :D :D

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi

Well Ent big thumbs down for WE gaiters. The repaired replacements have failed after two overnight walks. Yeap, the stitching again. This time on the Velcro. Either Wilderness Equipment is employing the worst stitchers in the world or the worse thread. I know people that have in the past got great service from the brand but the quality of one pair of mine is terrible in the stitching. Their stable mates that use the old underlace type fitting are going well. So scrub S2S and WE as poor choice. One Planet ones rock. Now where to get them from as they are rare as hens teeth?

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 12:00 am

Ent wrote:One Planet ones rock. Now where to get them from as they are rare as hens teeth?

Passion8 in Hobart stock them.

To be honest they don't look that well made to me? Same exposed stitching in all the same places. Certainly hard to justify $99 a pair.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 12:11 am

Strider wrote:
Ent wrote:One Planet ones rock. Now where to get them from as they are rare as hens teeth?

To be honest they don't look that well made to me? Same exposed stitching in all the same places. Certainly hard to justify $99 a pair.

The trick is the critical stitching is not exposed. As for the cost, ouch, but given that they have so far out lasted two S2S and one pair of WE gaiters I will forgive them the cost. One Planet appear to have mastered the simple design so do not look as flashy as say the S2S ones but they last. Took me a while to accept the high position of the boot where the WE are very low on the boot. But they seal well and work in with the Scarpa SLs that I wear.

I had hoped for them to be in Launceston but will check out Passion8 as that is where my One Planet Styx 2 came from.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 7:35 am

Strider wrote:

Well that's far from true!! I've had a pair for nearly 2 years now. I go through about 3-4 pairs of STS gaiters in this time. Sooooo STS gaiters at what? $50 each?? 3-4 pairs a year, X2.... compared to forking out $89 (yes you CAN get a discount) once.... it's a no brainer to me.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 9:37 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Well that's far from true!! I've had a pair for nearly 2 years now. I go through about 3-4 pairs of STS gaiters in this time. Sooooo STS gaiters at what? $50 each?? 3-4 pairs a year, X2.... compared to forking out $89 (yes you CAN get a discount) once.... it's a no brainer to me.

S2S seem to have picked up their game a bit. My last "full time" pair have lasted about 24 months (although I'm pretty sure I cycled a few of my "fleet" of 3 pairs in that time). Obviously some of the stitching had started to come undone, but no where near the amount of the last 2/3 pairs I had, which pretty much instantaneously fell apart around the stitching. The main faults in the last ones were a few 1cm holes developing here and there, and wearing through the foot strap on one side, which were both fair wear and tear.

As much as S2S quagmires have faults, I kinda think they're just like Democracy - the worst option, except for all the other ones.

I can't even find the OP gaiters on their website at the moment... (EDIT: nope, they're under "industrial" lol. Guess that means they're tough?) Might have to try some out now I've added another body to my S2S mass grave.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Gaiters - What are the most bomb proof?

Postby sthughes » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:09 am

After wearing my One Planet RFGs for over a year somebody asked me up at Pelion (after a nice clean snow walk) "are they brand new?"! They sure are holding up incredibly well!

With the RFGs I don't bother with a strap underneath, they work really well without it for me. So when the ones they came with wore out I didn't bother replacing.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:37 am

Here is mine.
Attachments
boots&gaiters.jpg
One day old boots and gaiters. Photo Dzung Nguyen
boots&gaiters.jpg (80.92 KiB) Viewed 20868 times
dplanet

Postby Gusto » Sat 12 May, 2012 7:37 pm

I am currently using One Planet Gaiters. They are great!!. They work, stay up right and are durable

I have had a thought on how to improove them though. The hook for the gaiter is on the edge that forms the underneath layer on the velcro closure. I feel that the hook should be on the outer layer. My reason for this is that the press stud is difficult to click together and ultimately can be knocked undone. This would not occur if the hook was on the outer layer of the fabric. The press stud also wouldn't be needed.

The closure system at the top of the One Planet Gaiters is nothing to rave about. It is durable when you consider that the toggle is easily replaced.

Another alternative Gaiter that would seem to be a worthy competitor to the OP gaiters are these from NZ http://twinneedle.bigcartel.com/product/gaiter-test Anyone know much about Twin Needle gear?
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Sat 24 Nov, 2012 10:03 pm

This thread needs some life. Currently tossing up between RFGs from One Planet, Instigaiters from Cactus or those TwinNeedle ones linked above.
I was originally going to have Evan from Terra Rosa Gear make me some but it seems I have left it too late. Doh.
Mountain Rocket

Postby north-north-west » Tue 27 Nov, 2012 6:18 pm

Bombproof & Gaiters. Two words that don't belong in the same sentence.
Especially in Tasmania.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Strider » Tue 27 Nov, 2012 9:52 pm

Any word on the Macpac Torre gaiters? Last time I checked they still weren't available in Australia, despite being designed specifically for Tassie.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment