Warm wear Jackets

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Warm wear Jackets

Postby corvus » Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:43 am

I have accurate Digital Electronic Scales that go from 1g to 5kg so allowing for slight error my post stands so bugger the maths :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Tue 23 Sep, 2008 8:51 am

Corvus, yes, they are about 150grams. come and see,usually there if van parked in front. :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earthling » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 6:05 am

Have you looked at the Montbell U.L. Thermawrap Jacket?
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.ph ... id=2301401
Will take any conditions Tassie can throw at her with ease.
Still warm wet wet.
Weighs only 250grams.
$140 US + delivery.
I havent found anything that beats this baby.
Im awaiting delivery this coming week and will postt hougts if interested?
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:24 pm

With respects Earthling if you don't actually own one as of now how come you can recommend it :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:28 pm

whiskeylover the 600 refers to down loft not weight so you math is correct just your grip on all this techie stuff on the forum :lol: if you have problems how can an old silverhair like me cope :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby whiskeylover » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks Corvus (old silverhair). I did wonder. Maybe I've had too much of the wee drams and killed off a few brain cells. This light but warm when wet thingy sounds good - but how warm - I have yet to find anything warmer than down. Windfleece if I'm scared of getting wet is the next option, with layering of course.

Are these other options really as warm?

I'm a warm sleeper, and generally have a high metabolism, (although I'm relatively skinny - 5'4" and under 60kg) but sometimes in Tassie conditions I wouldn't be without thermals, t-shirt, polarfleece vest,thick windfleece jacket and gortex coat and waterproof trousers - even sometimes for walking in on the plateau, at least until I get hot.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 8:48 pm

corvus wrote:With respects Earthling if you don't actually own one as of now how come you can recommend it :lol:

Im not sure if the 'with respects' is meant to make it ok to laugh at my post...but it doesnt.
You asked a question and I tried to assist you in your search and you question and laugh.
Just the question is enough, no need for the smart *&%$#! laugh as well.

In answer.
How do you know anything is good and suited to the task before you buy it?
I researched. I asked. I researched and asked some more.
Similiar...to what you are doing....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ad_id=1563

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr ... rap+Jacket
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 8:55 pm

whiskeylover my new wind stopper synthetic jacket(Roman Snuggy Advance Jacket) at 595g is as warm as my old wind stopper fleece at 765g both are water repellent and it has the facility to zip off the sleeves and converts to a vest I now couple this with a Down Puffer Vest (Lowe alpine 600 loft) and have the best for all situations now I believe (especialy the Puffer vest) just tried out both a Cradle this weekend .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 9:11 pm

Earthling don't be so sensitive if you cant stand the heat you know the answer :lol:
Now having said that let me thank you for your research and comments but I will reiterate that if you have not personally used it you cannot in reality recommend it ,at a guess I have been using all sorts of BW gear for twice as long as you have been actually been living and I truly don't laugh at anyone's posts as I am open to all suggestions that may edify our forum members and I apologise if you feel offended by my earlier comments .
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Mon 29 Sep, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Earthling » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 7:27 am

corvus wrote:Earthling don't be so sensitive if you cant stand the heat you know the answer :lol:
Now having said that let me thank you for your research and comments but I will reiterate that if you have not personally used it you cannot in reality recommend it ,at a guess I have been useing all sorts of BW gear for twice as long as you have been actually been living and I truly don't laugh at anyone's posts as I am open to all suggestions that may edify our forum members and I apologise if you feel offended by my earlier comments .
corvus

I didnt know there was heat in a forum designed to assist each other.....will pack my jo.
Thanks for the apology....I guess at times those icons can be interpreted a number of differnt ways...joys of communication. I find the wink icon :wink: allows members to understand where Im coming from when joking.

I see where your coming from regarding my personal use and recomendations...fully granted...I was just passing on my personal view from recomendations from actual owners of these jackets in US. They convinced me to buy and Im a fussy buyer.
Would the wording be better for you if i said: "I dont own one of these jackets and cant recomend it personally, however, heres a link to people that do highly recommend it and with a bit more research (as Ive done) theirs heaps of other users out their, that also give it the double thumbs up, in conditions equal to what Tassie can bring on."
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 6:17 pm

Earthling you can say anything on this forum as long as you follow the rules ,emoticons are a new thing to me being from what a cheeky youngster on this forum called the Abacus era so I tend to use things that I understand and not knowing you gender would not even contemplate winking at you :lol:
Good luck on you Tassi trip and I hope we turn on the weather so you can Field Test you new Warm Jacket just remember to let us know how it performed and dont forget the photographs :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:45 pm

Earthling (great Name :wink: )
Montbell do make some great gear.
I wouldn't take to much to heart- i actually read your post as you saying that you thought it was a 'beauty' based on what you had read (as you stated you didn't actually own the thing).
Don't let the gun jumpers dampen your enthusiasm, i'm sure you will be fine.
As for your gear list and tent- looks OK to me!
Not the options I would choose but then there are many out there.
Tentwise- I think you will be safe- perhaps not comfortable if something doesn't hold up but really- you could wrap yourself in your tarptent and call it a bivy! :D You have warm/wet weather options, you ain't gonna die!

As I see it, the risk you are taking may lead to a thoroughly miserable time, and if you encounter extreme weather you may be replaceing gear sooner than expected.

Will you be 'safe'- most likely!

There are no 'set rules' (and I suspect, as stated before that people lean Too much on gear and technology) and you may find people actually offended cause you don't carry the options/brands they do, but you have obviously found this forum and considered your gear. Preaching safety to the converted seems a dead end... I suspect that those who truly go out un-prepared will never likely even visit a forum such as this... (It may, however, weigh heavily if I was the moderator :D ).
Personally I would hate to see any discussion of lightweight options stiffled or littered with warnings. Warnings on these issues always seem to attempt to save people from themselves rather than gear! A pointless exercise to me... and probably equally as important to advise the limitations of Any gear (nevermind lightweight), cause the advise seems to apply more to the person than the gear.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earthling » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 4:31 pm

Nuts wrote:Earthling (great Name :wink: )
Montbell do make some great gear.
I wouldn't take to much to heart- i actually read your post as you saying that you thought it was a 'beauty' based on what you had read (as you stated you didn't actually own the thing).
Don't let the gun jumpers dampen your enthusiasm, i'm sure you will be fine.
As for your gear list and tent- looks OK to me!
Not the options I would choose but then there are many out there.
Tentwise- I think you will be safe- perhaps not comfortable if something doesn't hold up but really- you could wrap yourself in your tarptent and call it a bivy! :D You have warm/wet weather options, you ain't gonna die!

As I see it, the risk you are taking may lead to a thoroughly miserable time, and if you encounter extreme weather you may be replaceing gear sooner than expected.

Will you be 'safe'- most likely!

There are no 'set rules' (and I suspect, as stated before that people lean Too much on gear and technology) and you may find people actually offended cause you don't carry the options/brands they do, but you have obviously found this forum and considered your gear. Preaching safety to the converted seems a dead end... I suspect that those who truly go out un-prepared will never likely even visit a forum such as this... (It may, however, weigh heavily if I was the moderator :D ).
Personally I would hate to see any discussion of lightweight options stiffled or littered with warnings. Warnings on these issues always seem to attempt to save people from themselves rather than gear! A pointless exercise to me... and probably equally as important to advise the limitations of Any gear (nevermind lightweight), cause the advise seems to apply more to the person than the gear.

Thanks nuts for the advice...regarding equipment and posts :D . I must admit enthusiam for forums does wain with the prevalance of gun jumpers and the like...........Live and let live I say.

I know what you mean about safety. I like to use the phrase 'uncommon sense' these days.
It sounds you are a light weighter too. As a matter of interest whats your gear list? This might not be the thread for it, but your welcome to post in the thread with my gearlist in...always good to see others lists and compare.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1125
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 7:13 pm

As I keep reiterating the Forum would be boring if we all agreed and I will never stop asking provoking questions even at the risk of being insulted by name calling (Nuts) so as said yes live and let live and enjoy our BW activities :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 8:43 pm

Corvus- I'm not aware of any name calling..?
BTW... Isn't that the %&*@@# bird that stole my tim-tams >>>>>^ ? :D
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 9:30 pm

Gun Jumper
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 6:47 pm

corvus wrote:Nuts that 850 fill Mont vest you bought what does it weigh as my Lowe Alpine 600g fill vest weighs 550g which is more than 1/2 the weight of my sleeping bag :? btw where did you get it.

He was right to question you there corv....it was the 'g' that did it...I was similarly confused...and I have first hand knowledge of how loft ratings work and how the down is sorted ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Previous

Return to Equipment