Which Water filter do you use.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Which Water filter do you use.

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 7:03 am

Do any of you use Milbank bags?
I just took pix of mine with dimensions if anybody wants, I can even post them in the DIY section even tho I have no intention of sewing one up my s$15- surplus unit will see me out
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm a water bladder man so any filter system that allows me fill the bag in situ without having
to unpack my pack is a godsend...enter the Msr Trailshot.

Prime the small pump, pull off your bladders mouthpiece, insert bladder hose into the pump....and away you go.
Like it alot. :wink:

DSCF2857 (Medium).JPG

DSCF3110 (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby slparker » Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:57 am

Moondog55 wrote:Do any of you use Milbank bags?
I just took pix of mine with dimensions if anybody wants, I can even post them in the DIY section even tho I have no intention of sewing one up my s$15- surplus unit will see me out

I have one from my time in the army. You probably already know this - it isn't a filter like a sawyer, but is designed to clarify turbid water before using a sterilising filter/agent.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sailfish » Tue 24 Oct, 2017 11:03 am

Hi, Some years ago I got a Lifestraw personal, mostly to take fly fishing. That kind of suits as this activity is near water. For bush walks I have lashed it to a plastic bag to filter water into a bottle so I can track across waterless country. Alternatively one can put dirty water in a bottle and use the straw to drink from but I dont like the idea of contaminating the bottle. Later I got a sawyer 2 bag system. which is more convenient but heavier. Just now, I noticed Lifestraw Go which looks possibly a better solution https://www.jadoutdoor.com.au/product/lifestraw-go/ as I'm not real keen on bladders.

Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 9:51 am

slparker wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Do any of you use Milbank bags?

I have one from my time in the army. You probably already know this - it isn't a filter like a sawyer, but is designed to clarify turbid water before using a sterilising filter/agent.

Getting the mud and cow dung out of the water is THE major part of filtering in my opinion.
While sterilising is recommended simply filtering water of solid contaminants can also reduce the load of bad bugs.
I carry a Lifestraw [ actually I always carry 2 of them= a spare packed in the survival neck pouch plus the one in my cook kit] never used either as I use iodine drops and time or I boil, I use cheap VitC tablets after Iodine
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 4:43 pm

ofuros wrote:I'm a water bladder man so any filter system that allows me fill the bag in situ without having
to unpack my pack is a godsend...enter the Msr Trailshot.

Prime the small pump, pull off your bladders mouthpiece, insert bladder hose into the pump....and away you go.
Like it alot. :wink:

DSCF2857 (Medium).JPG

DSCF3110 (Medium).JPG

How is your trailshot going these days? I loved mine but it has now failed after 6mths of use. The black nozzle and red filter part want to shoot forward out of the silicone housing. It seems a bit of a design flaw in that there is only a slight ridge to keep it in place. With two hands an an awful lot of exertion it will stay in place- makes for laborious filtering.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 5:15 pm

Still being used most weekends, Ms_Mudd...no issues with my unit.

Maybe take some pics & contact the supplier here or msr itself. See how they respond.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 6:11 pm

I unfortunately bought it in the UK. They offered to repair after I sent them photos, but only if I post it at my expense, which I don't think is really worth it.
Glad yours is kicking on. Mine must be the exception. I loved not having to get my (hydration) bladder out to refill.
Attachments
20181204_190353.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 3:00 pm

Have used
MSR water works II
Sawyer Squeeze

Now I use tablets or nothing. For me filters just took to long and were extra weight, even the ultra light Sawyer squeeze once you include the bag was 130 grams I didn't need to carry.

Found it annoying after a long day to know I now needed to spend 10-15mins squatting in a mosquito filled swamp to filter 3L water before the sun went down. while all my tablet using companions are putting their feet up enjoying a billie. Or being that guy every one is waiting for to finish filtering during the afternoon water stop..and the entire party being keen to push on as quickly as posible so we get to camp before evening.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 3:22 pm

Yes, I think tabs will be where it is at for me in the future, will just use my buff as a prefilter if the source is a bit scungy looking.

Since the Trailshot shat itself, I have bought a Grayl to give a go for overseas travel (as it removes viruses and heavy metals) as I hate using throwaway plastic bottles for everything I drink. I have read some reviews that if used on less than clear sources out walking, the filter doesnt have a long life. Expect it will be just fine on tap source water in the 3rd world though. If I end up loving it when I travel, it may just come out bush walking with me (and again use my buff to prefilter any water source that isnt clear) , but at 300g, the tabs are realistically going to come in much more favourably for overall packweight.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 3:37 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Yes, I think tabs will be where it is at for me in the future, will just use my buff as a prefilter if the source is a bit scungy looking.

Swimming pool pre-filter socks are both very cheap and very light weight, I always carry a couple now as a coarse filter, i bought mine at Bunnings but Safeway also sell them, a very fine weave polyester cloth
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 08 Dec, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks for the tip Moondog, will have a look when I next drive past Bunnings
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tiggs » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 4:57 pm

I use a variety and have worked well so far I’ve use the Katadyn, I’ve used the MSR I always have my sawyer as a back up and always works well.. even used life straw haven’t tried their new VOC filter yet though... i have also used tablets and not yet have I used a sterripen... I guess the question is what is the water in the area most likely going to be like and how long are you trekking for... as I said I have a sawyer always with me and my go to is the MSR
Tiggs
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Equipment