Essential Gear for Cold Weather

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Essential Gear for Cold Weather

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed 14 Dec, 2011 9:30 pm

I've been reading the Essential Gear thread and found it very useful but is there anything I need to add for a hike I know will involve sub-zero temperatures.

I've just been talked into a trip to Snowdonia over the Christmas holidays (Clue's in the name!) and want to be sure I'll be ready for the conditions. I'm thinking of getting some hiking poles for this trip as the peaks are a few inches in snow I'm told. We're going to camp out two nights and cheat/treat ourselves to a night in a pub the third!

Any tips please?
JonnyBoy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Essential Gear for Cold Weather

Postby Ent » Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi

When walking with poles gloves become a very nice thing. Now what is the best. Go too warm and you will be driven mad by gloves off and on routine. Beware of gloves that soak up water that in wind become evaporative coolers. Polarfleece Windblocker glove material is a disaster in snow for that reason. No wind then they are fine. I find that the silk weight Gore-tex ones work a treat but the wear from poles kills them rather quickly. As luck stemming from misfortune I found possum gloves work a treat when cut back to the second knuckle of the thumb and forefinger. You can operate zips and cameras without the other finger tips freezing as what happens in mittens. The misfortune was I burnt the gloves picking up a hot billy handle so thought I had wrecked the new gloves. For mega wind chill situations then waterproof gauntlets are brilliant but you hardly see the Gore-tex ones around and even rarer are the Event material ones.

A balaclava is brilliant when the wind chill picks up and beats a hat in those conditions. Polarfleece pants are truly wonderful for changing into at night. Trouble is they are heavy and bulky but Western Mountaineering make a down pant called Flash Pants that is getting a growing number of admirers. A down jacket is wonderful for around the camp but not walking wear. A down jacket in a stuff sack makes a great pillow as well.

Basically more attention is needed to keeping gear dry and being warm. It is always nice to change into non sweaty clothes at the end of the day but in winter dumping soaking clothes makes for a much nicer camping experience as when stopped you can cool down to dangerous levels as you are often exhausted as well.

Also check out that you stove works. A lot of gas canisters nowadays have a lower quality mixture so what works great in summer can struggle in winter so you use more gas and get poor cooking times. A windshield suddenly becomes more important as well.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 15 Dec, 2011 6:42 am

If you have not already have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8214
There is some good info in there.
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 15 Dec, 2011 7:01 am

Snowdonia is WET

been there in winter, as long as you are sensible about your layering and don't overdress you will be OK.
Waterproofs needed as the outer layer usually and you should take a plastic or nylon bothie bag; just in case.
Too wet for down to work efficiently so pile/fleece or polyester insulation for the clothing.
Think Bogong in winter
Wind is the killer, the tops are exposed and the wind is fierce. Shell mittens and liner gloves may be best there
We needed ice axes and crampons only once in a week but when we needed them we really needed them, but flexible crampons and walking axe not technical ice climbing tools
Wonderful country have a great time
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu 15 Dec, 2011 6:11 pm

Some great advice as always, thanks guys.

I'm going out to look at gloves this morning. Great tip on testing the stove - it's cold enough already in UK so I'll get out early one morning over the weekend and try this.
JonnyBoy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment