salomon boots rivet failure

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

salomon boots rivet failure

Postby wayno » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 12:29 pm

bought some salomon explorers, one of the rivets failed on the lace hook after a few days use, the guy in the shop told me it was rare for it to happen, but i've had to replace rivets before on salomons, anyone had similar problems with salomons versus other brands?

the explorer design on the hook near the ankle is a proprietary one where the shaft is part of the hook so you ahve to replace the entire hook to replace the rivet.... but the way its designed it seems to cop a lot of focrce on one side encouraging it it to fail , from what i can see.....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: salomon boots rivet failure

Postby photohiker » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 2:02 pm

If they are within warranty, I'd be calling for warranty repair/replacement.

Things like this will be improved if warranty repairs hit the accountant's and designer's radars, that won't happen if you fix it yourself...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 3:59 pm

sorry, i didnt mention, i have taken these ones in for warranty repair, theres a two week turnaround... hopefully it doesnt take longer i've got a trip a week later....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Rob A » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 7:06 pm

Ive had it on lots of boots from italian, italian/romanian bootmakers.
Never happened brand new, usually the boot is at least few months old, has had some saltwater use, and is pretty much trashed by that time anyway.
Usually at that point any fancy layered density vibram soles are also breaking up inside where you cant see it.
On many (most?) boots the rivet is turned out under the leather so the boot padding/lining/waterproofing isnt perforated. Youd want to be comfortable that the repair wont be an issue for you, before you agree to that on a brand new pair of boots.
Am thinking of giving the Alicos a run next but cant find anywhwere I can try a set on.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment