PE groundsheet repair

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

PE groundsheet repair

Postby gmrza » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 2:44 pm

When I brought my gear from South Africa to Australia, the kind people at AQIS were nice enough to put a nick in the groundsheet of one of my tents.

It is a cheap tent with a woven PE groundsheet (I would have been really irritated if they had damaged my MSR Super Fusion), but I would like to get it back into use for family camping trips. The challenge I am facing is that I am struggling to find a solution to repair the cut in the groundsheet. - It appears that almost nothing will actually stick to a PE groundsheet. :roll:

I have seen some tarp repair tapes on sale on eBay, but I am wondering whether they will actually work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good method of repair?
gmrza
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: PE groundsheet repair

Postby ollster » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 2:58 pm

When I have similar issues and can't be fussed with a neat solution like a patch kit, I usually clean the area with alcohol or similar, mask around the area with tape, then cover the hole with a thin layer of "Seam Grip", remove the tape, let it dry, and repeat on the opposite side.

I haven't found anything Seam Grip won't stick to. I guess you could also try roughing the area with some fine sandpaper before sticking down a patch or something?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Strider » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 3:14 pm

Take it to a sailmaker and get a small patch stitched over it.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sailfish » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:57 am

I have tried various glues on PE and found none that work. Seamgrip will not work, neither will urethane based glues. At least they will delaminate under tension. The standard repair for PE is heat welding but that only works well with linear PE. Cross Linked – nada!

I suggest you take it to a tarp and awning business and see what they can do or suggest. They should have a welder for this type of material. Sewing a patch is going to make many little holes in it so it won't be perfectly water tight but better than a cut I guess.

You can get self adhesive sail repair tape from places like Whitworths and Bias Boating etc this will hang on a sail flogging in the wind. I have used a clear one on my MG14 Mylar sail and it stood up really well so may be worth a try.

Regards,
Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby gmrza » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 2:17 pm

sailfish wrote:I have tried various glues on PE and found none that work. Seamgrip will not work, neither will urethane based glues. At least they will delaminate under tension. The standard repair for PE is heat welding but that only works well with linear PE. Cross Linked – nada!

I suggest you take it to a tarp and awning business and see what they can do or suggest. They should have a welder for this type of material. Sewing a patch is going to make many little holes in it so it won't be perfectly water tight but better than a cut I guess.

You can get self adhesive sail repair tape from places like Whitworths and Bias Boating etc this will hang on a sail flogging in the wind. I have used a clear one on my MG14 Mylar sail and it stood up really well so may be worth a try.

Regards,
Ken

I think I may give the sail repair tape a go. The way I treat my tents, there will not be a lot of strain on the groundsheet - I always put a tarp below the tent and then a space blanket or a sheet on the floor inside, and this particular tent is for car camping only.
gmrza
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment