100% Propane for Bushwalking

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

100% Propane for Bushwalking

Postby hikin_jim » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 5:35 pm

Yes, you read that correctly, 100% propane for bushwalking.

The ideal set up is the 226g 100% propane Bernzomatic PowerCell -- if you can find them. They're out there, but they're tough to find. I have no idea if any of these have ever been available in Australia. Please forgive my ignorance.

Absent a PowerCell, you can use an adapter like the Kovea LPG (propane) adapter with common 400g or 465g propane cylinders, the kind used for car camping or propane blow torches.

What are the considerations involved with the use of such an adapter and 100% propane for bushwalking stoves? I address these and other practical matters of propane for bushwalking in my latest blog post: 100% Propane For Bushwalking.

HJ
Stove reviews and information: Adventures in Stoving
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: 100% Propane for Bushwalking

Postby flyinglion2000 » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 10:11 am

I have found these Benzomatic cylinders as pitctured above in Australia! At the local Mitre 10 (hardware store) near me. (note not the 226g ones HJ has in in his blog)

In the same store I also found two Butane long can gas cylindets with the screw on Lindal (EN417) type valves. A "Primus" brand (220g) and a "Go Systems" brand. I took some pics so I'll post photos. However, neither of these puppies were cheap - $10.95 and $14.95 respectively.
flyinglion2000
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby flyinglion2000 » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 11:12 am

Here are photos of the two long cans I found this morning. The GoSystems can is a propane/butane mix but no details on the pack of what the mix is.

GoSystems Propane-Butane long can.jpg
GoSystems Propane-Butane long can.jpg (207.54 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

Primus Butane long can.jpg
Primus Butane long can.jpg (188.36 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
flyinglion2000
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hikin_jim » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 12:44 pm

Interesting! According to the Go Systems website, the canister canister contains 350g of 70/30 butane/propane.

May I ask what store in what town you saw that in? And how much did it cost?

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyinglion2000 » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Jim

It was at a Mitre10 store (New Farm Brisbane Queensland Australia) and it cost AUD$14.95.
flyinglion2000
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hikin_jim » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 3:34 pm

flyinglion2000 wrote:Hi Jim

It was at a Mitre10 store (New Farm Brisbane Queensland Australia) and it cost AUD$14.95.

Thank you.

And if I might trouble you one bit further, what does a 200g class bushwalking canister normally sell for in that area?

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment