Butane Adapter WARNING

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Butane Adapter WARNING

Postby hikin_jim » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 12:34 pm

Cheap canister gas. Sounds nice, yes?

I mean in warm weather, why not just use those cheap 100% butane canisters? All you need is a little $5 adapter off eBay, right?

Well, yes, but use it wrong and that little adapter could cost you big time.

So what are the issues? Can it be used safely? I cover this in my Butane Adapter WARNING post on my blog.

HJ
Stove reviews and information: Adventures in Stoving
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Butane Adapter WARNING

Postby ignavus davus » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 7:32 pm

Thank for the warning, Jim. I think I'll stick to buying the butane/propane mix (about $8 to $10 in Oz, not the $6 you guys pay). The potential saving for me only about $30 per year anyway. Wouldn't be worth the extra weight.

Dave.
ignavus davus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby maverick » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a couple of the kovea and gas mate adapters which I've just started using. Had my stove flare up when i knocked the cannister and at the time I didn't know why.
maverick
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby hikin_jim » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 4:58 am

You're welcome. It's a warning worth knowing about since I've never seen any warning on the adaptors or canisters.

The adapters are useable -- if you're careful. Overall, I haven't found them all that useful, but that may just be me. I do my own refilling, so I already have a cheap source of gas which may be why my adapters usually sit.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gmrza » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 11:29 am

hikin_jim wrote:You're welcome. It's a warning worth knowing about since I've never seen any warning on the adaptors or canisters.

The adapters are useable -- if you're careful. Overall, I haven't found them all that useful, but that may just be me. I do my own refilling, so I already have a cheap source of gas which may be why my adapters usually sit.

HJ

Jim, out of curiosity: what is your rationale to prefer refilling over using an adapter? I've shied away from refilling because it appears to be an inconvenient process, you also will not be able to get all of the butane out of a long can (due to the tube, as I assume it will stop the last bit of liquid coming out when the can is inverted), and there are risks associated with refilling canisters. Of course with using an adapter, there is always the concern of making sure the notch is kept up (at least until the generator tube on the stove is hot).

I guess the point I missed is that with a canister-top stove like a Pocket Rocket, Microrocket, Flame Tornado, Gnat etc., using long cans is just not an option, because of lack of stability. - For one of those you would need one of the adapters with legs that allows the stove to sit on top of the adapter. That defeats the weight benefit of a light-weight stove, of course.

G
gmrza
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby hikin_jim » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 2:07 pm

gmrza wrote:Jim, out of curiosity: what is your rationale to prefer refilling over using an adapter? I've shied away from refilling because it appears to be an inconvenient process, you also will not be able to get all of the butane out of a long can (due to the tube, as I assume it will stop the last bit of liquid coming out when the can is inverted), and there are risks associated with refilling canisters. Of course with using an adapter, there is always the concern of making sure the notch is kept up (at least until the generator tube on the stove is hot).

I guess the point I missed is that with a canister-top stove like a Pocket Rocket, Microrocket, Flame Tornado, Gnat etc., using long cans is just not an option, because of lack of stability. - For one of those you would need one of the adapters with legs that allows the stove to sit on top of the adapter. That defeats the weight benefit of a light-weight stove, of course.
For a remote canister stove with a generator (pre-heat mechanism), you could -- with care -- use the adapter I issued the warning for. You could accidentally go into liquid feed too soon which I think makes the adapter less than desirable for the general public, but if you've read my post and use some basic caution with a stove that has a generator, you'd be OK. I would not use the adapter in my warning with a stove that does not have a generator.

But in warm weather (the weather we'd be using the 100% butane in), I tend to leave the remote canister stove at home and just take a lightweight upright (top mount) canister stove. I suppose you could stand the butane can on end, but that's hardly stable even with a set of those little plastic legs. You could also as you say use an adapter with legs, but that's weight, bulk, and added fiddle.

When I do refilling, I do it in advance. There's zero extra fiddling out on a walk. Yes, there's some work involved, but I don't think it's too bad. I usually fill multiple 110g and multiple 220g canisters at a time, and then don't refill for quite some time. A couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon, and I'm set for some time.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hikin_jim » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 5:48 pm

As a follow up to the above, I have put a full length post on my blog regarding canister refilling.

I have been asked not to post messages on this forum that are essentially just links to my blog. Given my time constraints, I may not be able to do the more full type of posting needed to stay within the spirit of this forum. I invite people to come to my blog periodically (if interested). I'll try to post here calling attention to things of particular interest on my blog, but necessarily I won't be able to post as often.

I'll also continue to come as "just plain me" and participate in the forum as myself (as opposed to "representing" my blog), just as I have been doing. This really is a good forum, and I mean that quite sincerely.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hikin_jim » Sat 21 Jan, 2012 2:14 pm

And just a couple of photos for those who may be interested.

This is what my refiller looks like.

Here it is screwed into a canister.

And here it is in use.

I have a full write up on my blog: Refilling Gas Canisters. If you're interested in trying your hand at refilling, I strongly suggest you read the blog post in detail. There are a number of things that could go wrong.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment