Self-inflating mats

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Self-inflating mats

Postby bjc » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm thinking about buying a self-inflating mat, but my budget won't stretch to a Thermarest so I'm looking at mats under $100 (perhaps on sale) from makers like MacPac, Kathmandu, Vango, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on quality and preferable brands?

Thanks,

Benjamin
bjc
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Self-inflating mats

Postby doogs » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 6:05 pm

Don't buy a vango, I have one and it isn't very good at all.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 7:20 pm

Don't buy the kathmandu, I don't have one but its sound guess that it'll be crap.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 7:22 pm

You can get thermarest cheaper. Try online, $100 might even get close to a neo air model?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Self-inflating mats

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 7:44 pm

You can certainly get a Thermarest for the $100 mark if you look online.

In terms of the Kathmandu mats, I once surrendered my Thermarest Prolite Plus to a friend who was cold. I used their Kathmandu mat on snow and I was fine. That said, I did have a warm bag and I'm naturally a warm sleeper.

Overall recommendation? Get a Thermarest.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Self-inflating mats

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 7:47 pm

You can certainly get a Thermarest for the $100 mark if you look online.

In terms of the Kathmandu mats, I once surrendered my Thermarest Prolite Plus to a friend who was cold. I used their Kathmandu mat on snow and I was fine. That said, I did have a warm bag and I'm naturally a warm sleeper. The major drawback is that Kathmandu mats are very bulky and heavy.

Overall recommendation? Get a Thermarest.
Last edited by oyster_07 on Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby doogs » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 8:07 pm

I bought an Exped synmat recently for $109 delivered and that's pretty good :)
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ignavus davus » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 8:26 pm

Have a look in the market square section, there have been a few mats (not only self inflating) advertised second hand in there. Better off buying good quality second hand than new cheap garbage.

Dave.
ignavus davus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi

Exped Downmat good but heavy and bulky but can be used in all conditions. Buy from the USA direct.

Thermarest Pro-lite 4. Warm and but lighter than an Exped mat but not by much and packs up about the same size. Buy if possible direct from the USA. Any Cascade Design product locally is priced at recommended rip-off pricing. You may struggle to get a company to ship them though.

Thermarest Neo Air. Small compact and light. It is the mat that you will wind up with at the end unless you get the newer improved R rating model instead. Really too cold for snow sleeping but fine otherwise.

Oh, and yes, I have all three in largest size :roll: Exped for snow trips and Neo Air for anything else :wink:

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mattmacman » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 2:51 am

Hey mate, Id steer clear of Kathmandu or Vango, both rubbish. Look at some Of Black Wolfs offerings, not the lightest nor the smallest but cheap and decent quality.
mattmacman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby icemancometh » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 2:46 pm

I'd steer clear of Exped...seen so many Downmats and Synmats die that I'm not even tempted. Did not find them comfy to begin with either.
Always find it funny when they take their vaunted mats out to the cold only to have them die in the night, and then they are stuck with with 2 bits of fabric to sleep on rest of the trip.

I've heard of people have issues with all sorts of SIMS and add that to personal experience just stick to foam now. Won't let you down.

Just my 2c
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 3:33 pm

I bought a thermarest in the mid 90's and threw it out a couple of weeks ago. Upsides: is warm when deflated. Downsides: I think almost every time I used it it got a puncture or went flat mysteriously, why I persisted with it I'll never know... Ok it had a hard life but seriouslyy the thing never worked... had more puncture repairs than original fabric in the end.

Can't comment on their recent versions though, i use a cheapie now.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Maelgwn » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 3:42 pm

I also would stick clear or everything that is not thermarest. Shop around more or buy a foamie until you can afford the thermarest.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby bjc » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for your comments everyone. It sounds like thermarest is the way to go so I'll have a look around and see what's available in my price range. Otherwise I'll keep my blue foam mat!
bjc
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment