Six Moons Lunar Duo on the Overland track

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Six Moons Lunar Duo on the Overland track

Postby Jethro » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi all , I have been reading this site for quite a while but this is my first post.
My Wife and I just completed the Overland track and tried out some new gear on the trip in particular the Six moons Lunar duo single skin tent so thought I would give a quick report. Despite some pretrip concerns about it, in the end it exceeded our expectations and we are total converts to this style of tent. We went for the heavier duty floor option and with 6 pegs the tent weighs in at about 1.35kg's and is by far the most roomy 2 person tent we have ever used. It packs up very small and was able to fit into the bottom part of my pack along with my sleeping bag. My wife uses two walking poles anyway so the poles are not included in the weight. During our trip we had some pretty heavy rain at night and the tent was completely dry. We did get condensation on a couple of the nights but it was very easy to deal with using a teck towel to wipe it down first thing in the morning plus there is so much head height (and i am 6"5') that you can sit up without touching the roof anyway.
We had alot of mossies and blow fly's on the second half of the track and the fine netting didn't let in any unwanted guests.
There is plenty of room for large multi day packs under half of each side of the vestibule leaving the other half clear for enrty and egress from the tent doors.
You do need to get pegs in with a fair degree of accuracy to get a perfect pitch so erecting on the OT platforms was a bit of a concern. I used as many of the existing points on the platforms a possible and then used a couple of small nails (using a rock for a hammer) just tapped in enough to the soft timber so they could be easily removed by hand the following morning. This way it was possible to get a perfect pitch every night.
I was still concerned how the six moons would go in heavy wind and in the last night camped at Narsissus hut the test i had been waiting for came. The winds were so strong the ferry service (and i use that term lightly) the next morning was cancelled due to rough waters. The tent didn't budge, massive gusts came rumbling through the trees all night then hit us, gave us a shake then passed by, we were dry, the tent was still standing, what more do you want!
Happy to answer any questions about this tent if you have any.
One final tip that I can confirm is the the vestibule flaps on the six moons are not possum proof, they had had no problem wondering in and out so put your food in the hut. I would love to put a photo up if someone can tell me how.
Jethro
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Six Moons Lunar Duo on the Overland track

Postby frank_in_oz » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 1:30 pm

There you go Geoff,
I am guessing this is the one you were thinking of posting? If not let me know and I will remove it..
There are instructions are over here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=562

Really enjoyed your piece, thanks
Frank
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 4:41 pm

Lovely shot, send it in to Ron...
Not sure about those dry boots, what happened ?
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Jethro » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 6:15 pm

Yep, thats the pic I was wanting to post Frank, thanks for that, and as for the dry boots Franco, this pic was taken at Kia Ora, by Windy Ridge they were well and truly wet you will be pleased to know!!
Jethro
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Jethro » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 6:17 pm

Also Franco, I did give Ron Moak (Maker of Six Moons) a report also with pics and he was most appreciative, said he was keen to get over here and do the track sometime, Cheers
Jethro
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 7:17 am

I have heard folk talking about having done the OT with no rain at all but I put it down to "urban legend"
I see that Ron now has a polyester version of the Duo ($160 !) about 500g heavier but at 1.6 kg (plus pegs) still very competitive for the size.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 8:13 am

Some of you might enjoy the back story to Jethro's Overland Track journey. Boy he was in trouble when we met him!

http://ourhikingblog.com.au/2012/03/fun ... ntain.html

Cheers
Frank
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment