How to ask gear reviews to the forum members?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How to ask gear reviews to the forum members?

Postby Rico » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 8:12 pm

As you may have noticed, in the last couple of weeks this was a very hot topic. Everything started from this thread:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8236

My idea is to actually listen your feedbacks and considerations. I am not a manufacturer, so I don't have any interest in selling a piece of gear if it is not suitable for a specific use. My main interest is to sell the right product to the right person, and to stock the right gear for my customers... if something is not up to the standard I will not sell it anymore, it is very simple. This initiative is also good for the reviewers, as they can get some free gear in the process, and for the readers, as there will be more information available on the forum.

Now, this is a new way to do things, someone in another thread called me clever :D but we have some issue, and once again I would like to ask your help. If we make it to work, I am sure that many other brands will come to ask your opinion, adding value to the forum (as long as the reviews are totally impartial like they have been so far, but I am sure the administrators are keeping an eye on us ;))

The problems so far:

1) Most reviews are going off topic, as often the conversation is not about the gear, but reasons behind the reviews. This doesn't add value to the forum, as the readers are only interested in your opinion about the gear. If there is any doubt on the authenticity of the review please lets discuss it now, and if you think that this whole system is wrong, please tell me and I will stop it now. This forum is too important for the Australian Bushwalkers to ruin it.

2) I have too many reviewers :D, more then the gear I can afford to give away! Yes, I know what you are thinking, everyone wants free stuff, but my feeling is different. I see that many members are true entusiasts and they want to do a real test, in the most different adventures. You will agree that the reviews so far were all very well done and very honest, and also well written. How do you think we should select the reviewers? We need good photos, good descriptions, very good knowledge of the product to be reviewed, and a honest writer who is not afraid to say "I like it" or "I don't like it". Also, how often can I select the same person to write gear reviews?

3) At one point the reviews were too many, and they were taking too much space off the other topics. How can we solve this problem?

I firmly believe that if we create a clear structure, it will be easier for any other brand to start to listen to you, and they will ask your opinion more and more often (please come forward guys!!!), like I am doing. Again, this is a winning initiative for the reviewers, for the outdoor industry, for the forum and for the readers, but it needs to be very transparent and everyone has to be happy about it.

Rico
Rico
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.adventurefriends.com.au
Region: Queensland

Re: How to ask gear reviews to the forum members?

Postby stepbystep » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 8:27 pm

I would give a more considered response given time Rico, but I also think I need free stuff, so bring it on!!!

Seriously though you are going the right way about it, it will just take a little time before those that are a bit envious of others getting free stuff to relax.
The other problem is many people are brand loyal, this comes from either having good experiences with gear or a need to justify the fact they spent $500 on a sleeping bag....

Your best bet is to put a bit more gear out there, reassure the reviewers they can be honest without fear they will never get 'free stuff' again and show us that if a piece of gear is sub-standard considering price point etc that you won't stock it!

Cheers

this opinon was provided without receiving any free stuff :D
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: How to ask gear reviews to the forum members?

Postby Ent » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 9:00 pm

Um? Expecting restraint and only on topic discussion on an open forum, even on as well moderated as this? Wow, anyone finding the solution to this better advise to spend their time on world peace and cracking the fusion reactor issue :wink:

But apart from the little hick-up at the beginning most people appear to be getting use to the idea. Of course there will be the justifiable suspicion that a review is good simply so a person can get more free stuff. I think most people will see through that and as long as you are not "engineering" this then no problems. Spread it around and you chose the person and PM them to see if they are willing to review. Some of the best reviews that I have read are on this site by people that are not renown for pushing a point but then again some great reviews come from those with a strong conviction. Match the product to the person's interest. A line of paper thin frypans is going not to be used by me unless that have remarkable heat spreading ability, so in a way I have excused myself from freebies in the titanium range but what the heck there is only so much stuff that can fit in my gear room.

At times a few have been "testing" gear for various manufacturers. As it is test gear you can not write about it as the manufacturer needs time to get the product ready for the market and do not want to have competitors jumping on the band wagon with "me too" knock offs. It is very tempting to especially if it is a great product.

Some forums have sections where a manufacturer is a moderator and previews every post. Not sure how they do it but Candlepower, a forum in the states, has manufacturer corner. Where good manufacturers are not afraid to approve what they get as long it is on topic, but if they censor then yes it does them a lot of harm. No issue with getting back a PM, "50,000 words or less please" :lol: . Such a thing should be negotiated if possible with the site owner (and a few bucks should change hands as it is extra work for them). I am sure that such a special forum is published as such will be acceptable. Do not be surprised that wags like me will post an "utter rubbish" comment more to see if the game is being played fair (in my case the product will need to be utter rubbish from my perspective).

Anyway thanks for coming on board. More than a few manufacturers/distributors are on this site. The evil ones push products and/or track down online suppliers and stop them from shipping to Australia but a few watch a lot and say little. In fact I know of one that has never posted as they believe that such forums should be left to the general public. While I understand I do not agree. As long as they are known and can take the knocks that come with forum life then it is a good thing. It would be a shame if a manufacturer of gear could not correct a common misconception. For many years everyone seemed to tell me to never wash Gore-tex yet we now know that washing with the proper detergent is a good thing, similar to washing down sleeping bags.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment