Desktop version
Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.

Forum rules

TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.
Post a reply

Edelrid Canyon rope: 9mm polypropylene core static

Tue 17 Apr, 2012 5:21 pm

G'day folks,

Last weekend I got a chance to try out the new polypropylene core static 9mm canyoning rope produced by Edelrid, which replaces what was a very popular canyoning rope which I enjoyed using (I know most folks here aren't canyoners, so this probably won't be of much interest to you, sorry).
It seems they have changed the design drastically as a result of signing up to the Bluesign standard, which means switching to chemical components with lower ecological and toxicological impacts.

While the rope is very light (even when wet), easy to handle and work with, and probably pretty good for casual canyoners, I was really underwhelmed. I felt it had far too much stretch, the sheath was too weak, and the fact that it can only be used double rope a major design failure.

I have written up an extensive review, with photos, here: http://fatcanyoners.org/bush-guide/edelrid-canyon-9mm/

On a side note, if you are after some static rope you can still pick up some of the old Edelrid rope at massively reduced prices from Summit Gear (almost 40% off). The Sydney Uni Bushwalkers have already picked up a 200m roll, which I'm looking forward to using.
http://www.summitgear.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=569&zenid=df767634fdba6ad263f7faecb5d46587

Tim
Post a reply