Between a Wok and a Hard Place

Food topics, including recipes.

Between a Wok and a Hard Place

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 12:24 pm

Cook2.jpg

Going lightweight with bushwalking food doesn't mean removing your taste buds. Here's a new blog post about my journey towards light and tasty food. http://www.naturescribe.com/2012/06/bearable-burdens.html

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Between a Wok and a Hard Place

Postby MartyGwynne » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 2:24 pm

We are almost there, I only carry the lamb roast on short walks now...
As for a wok I use a lightweight stainless bowl which doubles as a wash tub.
This even lets me make up a tasty stir fry.
I must get one of those vacuum sealing machines as they would be a major step forward from the ziplock bags.
I have posted on the bushtucker section on this site and there is much discussion about dehydrated foods and recipes etc.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby sim1oz » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Peter,
Great blog post. I particularly like the colour coordination in the photos. Was that accidental? Or was it part of the styling to make the food look good? Jokes aside, I completely agree with you. We've spent so much time reducing our gear weight, that food and water weight quickly becomes our biggest burden on walks longer than 4 days. So we want our food light to carry and tasting great. We are enjoying the experimentation with our new food dehydrator. We've made crazy things like nachos on the trail, with dehydrated tomato salsa, vacpacked grated cheese and a fresh avocado.
A vacuum sealing machine is also on our shopping list!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 10:13 am

sim1oz wrote:Hi Peter,
Great blog post. I particularly like the colour coordination in the photos. Was that accidental? Or was it part of the styling to make the food look good?

Thanks sim1oz - yeah, the styling took ages. I do admit that fashion while bushwalking is my one weakness :wink:

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 10:22 am

MartyGwynne wrote:I must get one of those vacuum sealing machines as they would be a major step forward from the ziplock bags.

They are good. You can find them cheap on eBay, but I just picked up a Sunbeam one on special at Hardly Normal. They threw in extra plastic rolls, which are vital.

I have posted on the bushtucker section on this site and there is much discussion about dehydrated foods and recipes etc.

Thanks for the tip-off. Don't know how I hadn't kept up with all the stuff there. Probably just a "room" on this vast forum that I don't visit very often.

cheers

Peter
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 2:00 pm

Moved to "Bush Tucker" forum (duplicate topic removed). :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Return to Bush Tucker