Dehy Mac Bol

Food topics, including recipes.

Dehy Mac Bol

Postby neilmny » Sat 15 Dec, 2012 2:16 pm

This was a a success so I thought I'd post a note.

I made a beef mince based "Italian" sauce to which I added cooked Macoroni, remembering always add the pasta to the sauce not the other way around. (ho hum)
It tasted fairly good (I have others opinions as proof :wink: )
I used Mac to increase the carbs per volume ratio but make a nicer texture than your basic worms.
It dehydrated well with a fairly heaped bowl coming down to about 140grams when vacuum packed.
The real test was the rehydration last weekend when camping on the King River (non hike unfortunately).
I had time so allowed it about an hour, adding a bit of water and stirring every now and then.
It tasted pretty good still but the trick was also to add a tube of Heinz Squeeze and Stir instant soup. fairly cheap and weighs 72 grams.
Now this stuff doesn't contain too much evilness, in fact going by the nutrition info it contains no "evil" as such. With maize thickener being the only numbered element
on it.

So I guess this whole waffle is about the soup tube which gave the dish a real boost flavour and texture wise.
It really made a difference and I reckon the meal tasted pretty much as good a freshly cooked.

Hope this is of interest.

Neil.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Dehy Mac Bol

Postby corvus » Sat 15 Dec, 2012 6:09 pm

G'day Neil,
Always interested to read what others do to "tart up" home dehy meals and your soup tube sounds good :) rather than cook then dehy pasta I have found Angel Hair Pasta works for me from raw and takes no time to cook.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Dehy Mac Bol

Postby neilmny » Sat 15 Dec, 2012 6:22 pm

I've always found that the rehydrated meat part of the sauce has just a smidgen of the cardboards about it
even after an hour. I am amazed at how well all the veges and flavour comes back to life.
The soup was the fix to the whole thing and they were only about $1.00.
There's a few different ones but the big red tomato and the rich tomato with basil are my favourites.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Bush Tucker