A substantial muesli for walking

Food topics, including recipes.

A substantial muesli for walking

Postby LAMEA-Gals » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 3:07 pm

I've struggled with finding a breakfast muesli off the supermarket shelf that gives enough energy for a big walking day. Usually I have my cereal and am feeling pretty hungry/empty 2 hours later.

A friend of mine did a 'Bircher style' muesli on our last trip - I know 'Bircher' is an overrated fad at the moment but forget the label as this recipe seemed to work well at providing energy to last through the morning.

50 grams rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 tablespoon of LSA (linseed, sunflower, almonds) - available from supermarkets
3-4 dried apples cut up into strips
Good sprinkle of cinnimon
2 heaped tablespoons powdered milk
2 heaped tablespoons of sultanas or cranberries

Pre-mix at home.

On the trip put it in a bowl or billy at night and pour enough water over it to cover. Cover it with a lid or plate. Next morning it will have expanded so add a little extra water and sprinkle a tablespoon of crunchy All Bran Toppers on top. Very tasty.

All up about 100 grams. I guess you could add extra things but I like to keep the dry weight for breakfast under 100grams.
LAMEA-Gals
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: A substantial muesli for walking

Postby Bluegum Mic » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 4:40 pm

Brookfarm museli. I eat the gluten free one with macadamias and cranberries. I can barely make it through a small bowl full. Its incredibly filling and gives you a good kickstart to the day. Its blardy expensive to buy, but I find the big bag of it lasts me for ages.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 5:36 pm

Another vote for Brookfarms muesli - I use the untoasted. Used to get the cranberry version but nobody in my area stocks it so I buy the apple and apricot and add cranberries.

Also ...... consider porridge - that really kickstarts your day and you can add nuts and fruit to make it more interesting if you wish.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Eremophila » Thu 24 Jan, 2013 9:21 pm

I'll add my vote to the Brookfarm muesli, I also use the gluten-free variety. It's awesome.
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 7:05 pm

And where can one purchase some of this miracle food? I've never seen it in any of the shops here.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby matagi » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 8:20 pm

north-north-west wrote:And where can one purchase some of this miracle food? I've never seen it in any of the shops here.

Some IGA stores stock it - I can get it at my local IGA in Bendigo. Some health food stores. I know for a fact you can buy it in David Jones Food Hall (Melbourne CBD).

Have a look on their website for a store close to you

http://www.brookfarm.com.au/stores/p/216
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 10:10 pm

Some fruit n veg shops also stock it as well. They are a company based in Byron from memory. I'll have a Google as Im sure I've seen online stockists that deliver it to your door.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Sat 26 Jan, 2013 9:44 am

Has anyone tried these?
https://worldsbestcereal.com/
Disclaimer - no association.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby whynotwalk » Sat 26 Jan, 2013 12:13 pm

A lightweight variation on this is to pre-mix and pre-soak your own Bircher at home. (We love Carmen's!) We use ruby grapefruit juice as the soaker - gives it a lovely tang. Once soaked overnight, we mix in plain natural yoghurt and some stewed fruit of choice.

Now for the secret, which we've basically adapted from Frank and Sue's great bushwalking food e-book - as advertised on this forum 8) We dehydrate the mix in our food dryer - on medium overnight - then vacuum seal it and pack it for walking. I can't recall the exact weight saving, but it's considerable.

Once at camp we rehydrate it with a bit of water, and usually cook it like porridge, sometimes with added dried fruit and/or nuts. It's very tangy and nutritious. You can have it cold of course, as long as you have re-hydrated it well. The hot version isn't a purist's Bircher, but by golly it's delicious :D and it keeps you going for hours.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bush Tucker