Lactose free milk powder

Food topics, including recipes.

Lactose free milk powder

Postby Eremophila » Thu 24 Jan, 2013 9:37 pm

Has anyone had success purchasing lactose-free powdered milk in Australia?
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Lactose free milk powder

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 24 Jan, 2013 9:41 pm

I cant drink milk with lactose, makes me sick if I do.

For breakfast on my hikes I always have cereals, I'm finding success with Nestle Sunshine Instant full cream milk powder, it don't effect me, but than everyone is different, could be worth a try.

You could try this.
https://www.organicbuyersgroup.com.au/s ... ucts_id=49
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Miyata610 » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 8:09 am

Phillipsart wrote:I cant drink milk with lactose, makes me sick if I do.

For breakfast on my hikes I always have cereals, I'm finding success with Nestle Sunshine Instant full cream milk powder, it don't effect me, but than everyone is different, could be worth a try.

You could try this.

Surely milk powder is chock full of lactose.
Phil
Miyata610

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 10:34 am

Miyata610 wrote:
Phillipsart wrote:I cant drink milk with lactose, makes me sick if I do.

You could try this.

Surely milk powder is chock full of lactose.

I drink normal milk I get sick, by 2pm i have to be near a toilet for the next 6 or so hours with the runs.

I started on Lactose free milk and never had this problem since.

I use milk powder on my hikes and never have a problem, the body is a mystery.

Just mentioning what works for me and what don't. Why? I have no idea, I don't care why, as long I don't get that awful cramps in the stomach and the runs, Im happy.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 10:36 am

Another thing I cant stand is bread purchased at supermarkets, makes me sick. Must be all the preservatives they add to make it last longer.

Purchase fresh bread at a local bakery, dont have a problem.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wolfix » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 2:25 pm

Gotta have milk on your cereal? I used to have mine with juice instead and if I could, now I would use a vitamin powder drink on a hike (but I can't. Stupid body)
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeh Im a cereal man, I cant survive the day if I don't have a nice healthy bowl of cereal, no matter where I am I have to have my cereal, and its a huge benefit for hiking, its light and quick to prepare and eat. I weigh out enough cereal for each day on the trail and place each days cereal in a ziploc bag than mix in some milk powder in the ziploc bag with the cereal. In the morning if its cold I slightly heat up some water and mix the cereal in the water, tastes great, otherwise I use cold water. So long the milk powder is fresh you will not have any problems mixing it all together, mixes better if the warm is warmed up a bit.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for that PA, might try the Nestle before I invest in more expensive items.

Some dairy products are ok for me, normal milk is generally not. Lots of pain and dizziness. Still going through the elimination / re-introduction thing.

Seem to have cured my chronic "carsickness" since quitting the normal milk. And THAT is a bonus when you are driving on Tassie back roads !
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Sat 26 Jan, 2013 1:30 pm

Naturally there is a lot of lactose in dried **MILK**. Drying doesn't change the carbohydrate composition. So clearly there's something more than just lactose that is affecting Phillipsart's lack of appreciation for regular milk. Who knows what it is?

I can metabolize lactose as well as any other food. That is to say, I produce copious quantities of gas no matter what I eat. But even though milk doesn't seem to bother me I have still learned to eat my cereal dry for a couple of reasons. First, the local dried stuff is Nestle NIDO, a whole cream powdered milk that sounds a lot like what Phillipsart buys and uses. It tastes exactly like you'd expect a reconstituted dried product should. That is to say, it tastes crappy. Even at home I eat cereal dry as the regular milk the supermarket sells tastes very far removed from a cow.

Cultured milk is okay, tastewise, but it doesn't go well with many cereals (muesli excepted). So dry, dry, dry is how I eat cereal.

Maybe this is worth considering if lactose makes your gut boil and bubble. As we say in the non-metric USA: YMMV.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 26 Jan, 2013 3:06 pm

Whilst a little on the heavy side another one to consider is the small poppers of so good. Whilst I don't normally like to give my son too much soy (he would have rice or almond milk at home), if only a few days id happily carry a popper each day for cereals etc for him. He can't have casein though (so nothing that has milk on its label vs someone who can't have lactose can have the lactose free stuff).
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby corvus » Sun 27 Jan, 2013 9:30 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Another thing I cant stand is bread purchased at supermarkets, makes me sick. Must be all the preservatives they add to make it last longer.

Purchase fresh bread at a local bakery, dont have a problem.

Interesting comment, I only eat Bread from my local Bakery and it seems to keep reasonably fresh in the Fridge with no comment on the packaging (bread bag) as to what is in it ,Supermarket Bread "baked today sold today " does however have all of the ingredients listed and a best before date does this mean perhaps that it may be healthier and or fresher :?
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Return to Bush Tucker