Strive Food?

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Strive Food?

Postby proskub » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 1:18 pm

Use them all the time at work, they're awesome! The Laska and the dahl are the besh IMHO! Ignore the cooking instructions, just stand them in boiled water and they're fine. Way better then the commercial freeze dried and much cheaper!
proskub
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby nathanbritton77 » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 3:20 pm

Loved the spag bowl.i was impressed with the single serve spaghetti bolonese on a cold night on the overland track last year.I will defineately be buying again :D :D :D
nathanbritton77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 23 May, 2017 6:54 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I have real trouble getting their risotto to reconstitute properly. The rice stayed rock- hard even after 20 mins in hot water (initially boiling then occasional bursts of heat).

The instructions say to simmer for a while, however it's almost impossible to simmer over a metho stove.

On my next trip I'm going to try separating out the rice and getting that reconstituting for a long time before adding the rest.

Anyone had a better experience?

Note - I love Strive, particularly their laksa, so I really want to get this to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Tue 23 May, 2017 8:31 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Note - I love Strive, particularly their laksa, so I really want to get this to work!

Sorry, can't help with the risotto.

Yes I do like the laksa very much. But I'm not a vegetarian and I want my meal to be a little more substantial. The single serve is kinda small. So I add a small can of chicken and a small can of prawns. Delish.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Robert H » Tue 23 May, 2017 9:34 pm

If I'm hungry I add rice noodles to the laksa, light and filling.

Have tried the risotto once, cooked it for ages on a gas stove. Ended up being impatient and eating it not fully cooked, but close enough.

Both were yummy!
Robert H

Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Wed 31 May, 2017 11:47 am

ChrisJHC wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have real trouble getting their risotto to reconstitute properly. The rice stayed rock- hard even after 20 mins in hot water (initially boiling then occasional bursts of heat).

The instructions say to simmer for a while, however it's almost impossible to simmer over a metho stove.

On my next trip I'm going to try separating out the rice and getting that reconstituting for a long time before adding the rest.

Anyone had a better experience?

Note - I love Strive, particularly their laksa, so I really want to get this to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me, but yes, the risotto has always been fine. Different people have different criteria when it comes to textures. I prefer al dente over soggy.

But two points you might want to consider. Apologies if they are too obvious. If possible, put the food and water in the pot as early in the day as you can and let them sit, in direct sun if there's any to be had. Watch out for ants. Then, once you get it simmering, turn off the fuel and let it sit again. As I eat directly from the pot, I find that the food needs to cool down a bit anyway, and as it does so it continues to absorb water and to soften.
peregrinator

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker