Strive Food?

Food topics, including recipes.

Strive Food?

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:10 am

Has anyone tried any of the dehydrated meals from the Tasmanian company Strive Food?

It looks like they will customise their packages to order, which looks interesting. And the prices look good.

I'd be keen to hear from people who've tried them.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Strive Foods?

Postby Robbo » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:07 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Has anyone (apart from the person who brought them to my attention) tried any of the dehydrated meals from the local company Strive Foods?

I ordered a sample of the whole range a few months ago, but have only had opportunity to try a few as yet. The ones I have tried are good - better than the pasta or rice dehyrates you get from the supermarket, but I don't think they have as good a flavour as the expensive freeze dried meals around. I found them very accommodating to deal with and have no issue in recommending the products they manufacture. I don't have a favourite but will report back after I have tried a few more.

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Speculator » Sat 01 Nov, 2008 9:26 am

Robbo wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:Has anyone (apart from the person who brought them to my attention) tried any of the dehydrated meals from the local company Strive Foods?

I ordered a sample of the whole range a few months ago, but have only had opportunity to try a few as yet. The ones I have tried are good - better than the pasta or rice dehyrates you get from the supermarket, but I don't think they have as good a flavour as the expensive freeze dried meals around. I found them very accommodating to deal with and have no issue in recommending the products they manufacture. I don't have a favourite but will report back after I have tried a few more.

Tony Robinson

The website certainly makes them sound good, the price isn't bad either! It's got some good sounding breakfast options too. I'm tempted to buy some just to try at home for reference.

So, Robbo, what are the serving sizes like? Someone mentioned that the expensive brand dehydrated meals were a little on the small size.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby corvus » Sat 01 Nov, 2008 3:54 pm

L8r.
Sth and I have good appetites and we both are satisfied with the Freeze Dried meals (they do make really good plain FD rice which you can add if you need extra bulk ),expensive not really especially if you get them with a "membership card 25% discount"and the fact that there is no washing up and only a minimal use of fuel to boil the water.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Speculator » Sat 01 Nov, 2008 9:55 pm

corvus wrote:L8r.
Sth and I have good appetites and we both are satisfied with the Freeze Dried meals (they do make really good plain FD rice which you can add if you need extra bulk ),expensive not really especially if you get them with a "membership card 25% discount"and the fact that there is no washing up and only a minimal use of fuel to boil the water.

Hang on, I think I was confusing my freeze dried and dehydrated meals there for a second. The freeze dried were the ones someone said were a little small for the price.
Now.... if someone could just freeze dry or dehydrate fish and chips for me I'd be stoked! ;)

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby walkinTas » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 10:57 pm

Speculator wrote:Now.... if someone could just freeze dry or dehydrate fish and chips for me I'd be stoked! ;) L8r.
Strewth man, the rivers are full of fish and carrying a few potatoes isn't that much bother is it? :)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 4:15 pm

Robbo wrote:So, Robbo, what are the serving sizes like? Someone mentioned that the expensive brand dehydrated meals were a little on the small size.

L8r.

I have found the one's I have tried to be as much as I would want to eat, as opposed to some of the freeze dried meals I have tried which were a bit less than I would have liked. I found their mince a bit dodgy in respect of flavour, but I think this is an issue with most retail dehydrated meals.

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 05 Nov, 2008 12:05 pm

Robbo wrote:I have found the one's I have tried to be as much as I would want to eat, as opposed to some of the freeze dried meals I have tried which were a bit less than I would have liked. I found their mince a bit dodgy in respect of flavour, but I think this is an issue with most retail dehydrated meals.

These sound really interesting and quite inexpensive. I'm not clear about the preparation though. Their website, states: "Very convenient - simply add water and cook"
Can you simply add boiling water to the packet like the better known ones?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Robbo » Wed 05 Nov, 2008 3:16 pm

johnw wrote:Can you simply add boiling water to the packet like the better known ones?

Yeah, they are just like other dehydrated, freeze dried food. Simply add to water and boil - or add to boiling water if you follow the instructions to the letter... and use more gas/fuel.

Tony Robinson
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 06 Nov, 2008 6:56 am

Are they actually freeze-dried, or are they air-dried?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Thu 06 Nov, 2008 7:47 pm

If you check our their website you will see that their meals are Dehydrated (air dried) and they suggest 10 to 12 mins cooking time to reconstitute as opposed to 3 min boil for the water to add to Freeze Dri, wait 10 mins and eat.
Big saving in fuel and washing up and you only need to carry something big enough to boil water in I suggest for solo walkers a Tibetan 550ml Titanium Mug with a lid very lightweight 89g with a 90 mm base or a Snow peak 450 ml stronger titanium mug 68g with a 75mm base but less efficient on the burner owing to the smaller base area.
A bit off topic but all pertinent in our lightweight persuits its about the only thing I can feel comfortable with reducing pack weights :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Robbo » Thu 06 Nov, 2008 8:20 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Are they actually freeze-dried, or are they air-dried?

As Corvus notes, they are dehydrated. I think they are a good option if you don't want, or are able, to dehydrate your own, and very reasonably priced compared to other similar products - and they are from Tassie for those who want to support local industries...

Tony Robinson
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 06 Nov, 2008 8:41 pm

Dehydrating your own food is not inexpensive in my experience, whether doing it for one or a dozen which I have done ,you need cooking expertise an assistant and good buying skills to even come near to Freeze Dri .
But what the Hell go for it shees I did and found out the hard way no good for soloists but could be good for a group. :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby scockburn » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi , I put in an order today so will let you know how it goes. So far they are good to deal with. My wife is lactose intolerant and they have tailor made some packs for her. Cost $1 extra but if it helps to get her on the track then I'll pay.
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scockburn » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:27 pm

Got my order today . Very impressed! Taste tested a few of the packs ( the Laksa and pasta bolognaise) . These were pretty good and very light and compact. Took a little more time to cook up but I alway cook up to half way and seal off in an insulated bag and it cooks in own heat whist I get camp ready.I use a home made bag made of that sun backed curtain material with a Velcro sealing strip sewn in at top. Stays good and warm and if it is really cold I first wrap pack in alfoil before I seal up All it then takes is a brief reheat. Thanks for putting me on to this stuff it is heaps better than what I've been using and better still it is Australian / Tassie made. SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby luke.870 » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 7:00 am

Oh, I’d never even heard of them before! I just checked their website and they sound amazing, the choices sound really nice! And the prices are so very reasonable as well… They even have ready-made breakfast and snacks! I’ve never tried them, but they make them sound so healthy and filling…I will definitely have to try this, on walks I often still feel hungry, or I feel bad about what I ate afterwards…
luke.870
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Joel » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 5:49 pm

These meals are excellent. Anyone know whether you can take themoverseas on a plane or will the sniffer dogs go beserk?
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 6:39 pm

Joel wrote:can take themoverseas on a plane

If Bass Straight counts, there is no problems. The sniffers in Launceston did not seem to have a problem with them.

TR
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 11:17 am

Joel wrote:These meals are excellent. Anyone know whether you can take themoverseas on a plane or will the sniffer dogs go beserk?

Depends on a bit of luck and the import rules of the country you are visiting. Small quantities may get through, but after having researched this for my Scotland trip I decided the risks of confiscation and disposal were such that I have amended my plans and will buy dehy food in the UK instead. Basically, anywhere in the EU will have similar restrictions - you can take food pretty freely within the EU, but bringing it into the EU meets a lot of restriction and red tape. Meat of any form is a no-no.

HTH
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby scockburn » Tue 10 Nov, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi all,been away for a while and been getting out on some excellent walks post Tassie visit (Qld) . An update on these . I still think they are excellent value and taste really good . They are heavier than some other brands and do take longer to prepare 8-10 min so the fuel consumption is higher than my dehyd. meals. They were very helpful by delivering to a prearranged address and the order was perfect and these foods are very well priced. In my last post re these I said they were a Tassie food.Sorry to mislead . The company are based in Tassie but the label on the box shows that they import from USA so they are a middle person distributor -I think . Never the less I still think this food is to be recommended . Stay well.
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Wed 11 Nov, 2009 6:04 pm

scockburn wrote:In my last post re these I said they were a Tassie food.Sorry to mislead . The company are based in Tassie but the label on the box shows that they import from USA so they are a middle person distributor -I think . Never the less I still think this food is to be recommended . Stay well.

Does the actual food packaging say the food contents are made in the US? The Strive Foods website certainly clearly states that the food is "Australian made" (see "About Us").

We've decided to try some for our upcoming trip to Tassie - no time dehyd our own food and one of the other items that we normally use - Ainsley Harriott Risotto (with a few extra fresh ingredients thrown in) - doesn't seem to be available at the mo (just the cous cous). Will report back.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Thu 12 Nov, 2009 4:37 pm

Jellybean wrote:
scockburn wrote:In my last post re these I said they were a Tassie food.Sorry to mislead . The company are based in Tassie but the label on the box shows that they import from USA so they are a middle person distributor -I think . Never the less I still think this food is to be recommended . Stay well.

Does the actual food packaging say the food contents are made in the US? The Strive Foods website certainly clearly states that the food is "Australian made" (see "About Us").

We've decided to try some for our upcoming trip to Tassie - no time dehyd our own food and one of the other items that we normally use - Ainsley Harriott Risotto (with a few extra fresh ingredients thrown in) - doesn't seem to be available at the mo (just the cous cous). Will report back.

Cheers,

JB

Wow, I'm impressed with Strive Food's (Melanie's) service!!! :D I ordered and paid for some samples (1 each of a number of meals we want to trial) yesterday afternoon and they were on my door step in Sydney this morning!! (A query earlier was also quickly answered).

I can confirm that the food is definitely Aussie (Tassie) made (as per the food packaging), the box it came in was merely to protect the contents.

We plan to try the meals this weekend and, if happy with them (I'm guessing we will be) will order a bunch more early next week. Will let you know how we find them. (Plan is to cook them up on our camp stoves - Pocket rockets - to get an idea of cooking time).

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Thu 12 Nov, 2009 5:29 pm

I bought five packs of Strive products today (from their retail outlet in Sandy Bay). There is absolutely no mention of being made from imported goods on any of the packs; two even state "Made in Tasmania". Tried one tonight just to make sure that the quantity in a single serve pack is filling enough; certainly no problem on that score. Not something that I would normally eat at home but was filling and reasonably tasty; I will take them on my next multi-night walk (in three weeks time) without any hesitation.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jellybean » Sun 15 Nov, 2009 9:38 am

We plan to try the meals this weekend and, if happy with them (I'm guessing we will be) will order a bunch more early next week. Will let you know how we find them. (Plan is to cook them up on our camp stoves - Pocket rockets - to get an idea of cooking time).

We will definitely be ordering more Strive Food. Flavoursome (especially the Vege Laksa - the clear crowd favourite!) and filling. I'm not a big eater (just average) and I'd struggle to eat a full serve, especially if planning a second course. :D

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scockburn » Sun 15 Nov, 2009 5:48 pm

Could not find the box where it said imported from the State. Certainly said that but maybe it was just the box .Don't want to slander a good product and a good business woman as I was a very satisfied customer and Tassie service was good.
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lyndoor » Sat 05 Dec, 2009 12:50 am

I have eaten the Strive Spag Bol. Good flavour & very filling. Dished up two good serves. Also great for vegetarians as they use a product called TVP (Textured Vegetable Product) - tasted like mince to me! :lol: If stored too long, some of the ingredients were very hard but a bit of time soaking solved this.

Their dried mixed fruit was tasty ( but stingy) & could be hydrated for stewed fruits. Definitely a one person serve. The accompanying biscuit was very bland.We put our heads together & administered honey & Milo to the solution for an unusual palatable alternative! :P

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 05 Dec, 2009 5:55 pm

lyndoor wrote:I have eaten the Strive Spag Bol. Good flavour & very filling. Dished up two good serves. Also great for vegetarians as they use a product called TVP (Textured Vegetable Product) - tasted like mince to me! :lol: If stored too long, some of the ingredients were very hard but a bit of time soaking solved this.

Their dried mixed fruit was tasty ( but stingy) & could be hydrated for stewed fruits. Definitely a one person serve. The accompanying biscuit was very bland.We put our heads together & administered honey & Milo to the solution for an unusual palatable alternative! :P

lyndoor

AAARGH!!!! TVP,
Tried all ways of cooking that stuff none of which worked not even in a red hot curry :lol:
TVP = dehydrated Soy Beans with additives :?:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby farkewie » Mon 25 Jan, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi,

We are coming down to do the south coast track in march. This will be the our longest hike we have done yet. I am really curious about good choice of foods. Up here we use a lot of those alfredo pastas with tune in them, or just a pesto pasta. We have used back country meals and they were great but pricey.

These look great but we don't want run out of fuel. My question is can you just add water to these and let sit while you set-up camp then bring to boil and eat? Or do you actually have to "simmer" for 10 minutes?

on a side note with an MSR WindPro how much gas would you take for SC track and 2 people?

Thanks.
farkewie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby scockburn » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:52 pm

From experience ... not really. It helps to soak but still need to cook them. I was soaking in hot water for hours and it did break up the chunks but it still needed cooking. Still a good product worth considering cause they taste great.
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Strive Foods

Postby dee_legg » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 5:14 pm

I've had them a bit in the past.

They are good value for money and taste good but be aware that all of the carbs (rice, pasta, lentils) aren't precooked so they don't have a shortened cooking time. All the vegies are dehyd obviously.
I've had the laska and minestrone, both really nice.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Bush Tucker