Strive Food?

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Strive Food?

Postby Strider » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 8:32 pm

I've got a Laksa at home that's done the same thing. Way out of date now anyway though. Never had a problem with customer service but.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ryantmalone » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 10:01 pm

neilmny wrote:Well I'm really disappointed by the lack of customer service.
On the 2nd of Feb I sent a message to "sales" and "enquiries" at strivefood.com.au and there has been no response what so ever.
I recieved a bolognaise, a minestrone and a butterscotch apples about a week earlier. I stored them in the box they came in awaiting an
opportunity to try them out "in the field".
When examining them on the 2nd I found that the vacuum seal had broken on the bolognaise. At the time I thought the meat bits might have punctured the bag
and mentioned this in my email but it seems that the seal had just let go and the vacuum was lost.
Basically a throw away I have kept it should they want it back to look at but as I said they have not even acknowledged my emails.

I wasn't cheesed off but I am becoming fairly cheesed off. I would prefer that they just said tuff luck rather than just ignored the complaint.

Very poor customer service for what promised from all accounts to be a good product.

Like with anything, as unfortunate as it is, you're gonna get a lemon every now and again.

I've got limited experience with Strive, but my dealings with them thus far have been very good.

They have a contact number that would be worth calling, 0429 STRIVE (787 483) <--- to copy directly from their website. ;)

I know it should never have to come to this, but if you call them, at least you would be speaking to someone, and they would be able to work it out with you, rather than wait for an email, and with the positive experience I've had with them, I'd have no doubt that they'd try and figure something out for you.
ryantmalone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 12:17 am

Unfortunately, this appears to be the business practice a lot of businesses are taking, as soon they receive your money, they don't want to know you anymore, but prior to getting your money, they treat you like your there best mate. Not saying that Strive are doing this, I have had good service with them, I cant complain. But cant say the same for some other business I have contacted of late.

that Vegetable laksa i tried on the hike i mentioned earlier on was gross. Yuck.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 3:48 pm

It's pretty simple really. They don't reply to 2 emails, I shouldn't have to chase them on the phone,
they have a photo of the failed packaging, they should stand by their product.
I don't buy their product again and will deliver my reasons to anyone who asks what I think of them.
What is it again.....voting with my feet!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 4:14 pm

SMTP (email protocol) is not a guaranteed protocol. You cannot even know if they received any of your emails. The only way to find out is to phone them.

There are many reasons why email messages may not be delivered and you may not receive any delivery failure notifications (bounce messages) for them.

Even if the message was delivered successfully, you have no way of knowing if they've read it. They may have accidentally hit the delete button (multiple times is unlikely of course), or may have an inbox with 50,000 unread messages that they're working through slowly, or it could have been filtered to another folder they haven't noticed, or quarantined by their spam filter (or deleted by their server's spam filter).

The chances are that they did get your mail and did read it, but you cannot know that for sure if you don't ask them (by some means that IS guaranteed - such talking to a real person).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ryantmalone » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 4:18 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:SMTP (email protocol) is not a guaranteed protocol. You cannot even know if they received any of your emails. The only way to find out is to phone them.

There are many reasons why email messages may not be delivered and you may not receive any delivery failure notifications (bounce messages) for them.

Agreed. Could be a spam filter, could be an outage at their end, maybe the person who handles their customer service queries may have been ill.

The first phone was installed in Australia in 1877, and since then, it has been a reliable means of communicating with others, and rarely lets us down.

Email only started to become widespread in the late 90's, is riddled with issues, bad spam filters, and more.

Again. It's easier to pick up the phone. ;)
ryantmalone

Postby ryantmalone » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 8:55 pm

neilmny wrote:When examining them on the 2nd I found that the vacuum seal had broken on the bolognaise. At the time I thought the meat bits might have punctured the bag
and mentioned this in my email but it seems that the seal had just let go and the vacuum was lost.

Just to update, I had the Bolognese that I took away with me this weekend do the same thing.

Meal tasted fine (best yet!), but will let them know either way, as it seems that they may have an issue with their vac seal.
ryantmalone

Postby Rob A » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:00 pm

Ryan, Ive never even seen a packet of strive. Is it factory packaged or a cottage industry kind of arrangement?
One can overseas travel freely with commercially (any of them) packaged freeze dry, wondering if one can with strives dehaydrated.

Noticed somwhere you had a bad run with the big players pasta meal. I dont know anyone who uses their (or anyones) pasta mixes, but the rice or potato based meals are palatable, I mean you usually use them only as a base and supplement with various to adds to make it into a meal. Living off the things wouldnt be kind to your system though. Few days Im on the verge of popping out from all kinds of allergies so I use the things mainly as get out of gaol cards.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Region: New South Wales

Postby magichat » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 11:01 pm

The strive is more on the cottage industry end of things. Professionally done but probably using older equipment. Ill use them because if i don't they probably won't exist and we won't have the choice ... And I find the food is pretty good by comparison. I've had the occasional bad seal (probably only once) but I shrugged it off and didn't make a fuss about it. £$% € happens.
magichat
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ryantmalone » Thu 21 Feb, 2013 8:19 pm

Rob A wrote:Ryan, Ive never even seen a packet of strive. Is it factory packaged or a cottage industry kind of arrangement?

They are just a small business based in Tassie, the packaging is vaccuum sealed plastic, seems that it may get punctured easily by the contents. The dehydrated pieces of beef in particular are quite sharp, and can easily pierce the plastic.

Not that its a big deal, I only ever buy just before a hike, and the food holds out real well even if punctured for a few days, however, its not good news if you want to put some aside.
ryantmalone

Postby Rob A » Thu 21 Feb, 2013 8:42 pm

Whataloadofbull. Was what I came across at the butchers today.
Jerky packaged similar to the strive stuff, I wouldnt have tried to take overseas. Maybe its fine?
Import from kiwi of individual retail packet must be a bit looser at customs if covered by the bulk distributers/wholesalers packet maybe.
Couldnt face bringing Bulls Semen salad dressing home either.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 1:37 pm

Rob A wrote:Whataloadofbull. Was what I came across at the butchers today.
Couldnt face bringing Bulls Semen salad dressing home either.

I had a look at their stuff. What does the dressing really have in it?? If is is what it says that's a very labour intensive way of collecting it, manual electroejaculators etc (having had first hand experience....)
I'm surprised they don't have 'bush oysters' as a starter :lol:

I may give some Strive foods a try for our Snowies walk at Easter, I hadn't heard of them before reading this post. Thanks for the bump (even if it was an uncomplimetary post!)
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 7:10 pm

What surprised me the most, when I tried strive foods last year, in particular the Bolognese pasta, was that it was not dehydrated, it was just normal pasta you purchase up town, only the sauce was dehydrated, you had to cook the pasta as you do at home. I would have thought the pasta would have been cooked and dehydrated with the sauce. In saying this, it was very yummy. But there are some disadvantages, particularly for me, It takes longer and more fuel to cook and the weight of the pasta meals where heavier than my own dehydrated pasta, each meal at least 70 grams heavier than my dehydrated pasta and my meals where a more generous servings. Will I use them again? maybe. I also purchased 3 meals of that Laksa, It was yuck. I ended up giving them away. Other's thought it was nice. But I hated it.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ryantmalone » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 7:00 pm

Phillipsart wrote:What surprised me the most, when I tried strive foods last year, in particular the Bolognese pasta, was that it was not dehydrated, it was just normal pasta you purchase up town, only the sauce was dehydrated, you had to cook the pasta as you do at home. I would have thought the pasta would have been cooked and dehydrated with the sauce. In saying this, it was very yummy. But there are some disadvantages, particularly for me, It takes longer and more fuel to cook and the weight of the pasta meals where heavier than my own dehydrated pasta, each meal at least 70 grams heavier than my dehydrated pasta and my meals where a more generous servings. Will I use them again? maybe. I also purchased 3 meals of that Laksa, It was yuck. I ended up giving them away. Other's thought it was nice. But I hated it.

Yeah, that's the biggest gripe that I have, especially using a Whisperlite, and messing with the stove to get it to simmer. Definitely a pain, although most of the time I'd carry my Hiker Plus and that does the job.

I haven't tried the Laksa yet, however the Bolognese and the Beef Curry are both great. The bolognese in particular is one hell of a treat at the end of a long day, even if it takes a bit to cook.
ryantmalone

Postby Strider » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 7:15 pm

ryantmalone wrote:
Phillipsart wrote:What surprised me the most, when I tried strive foods last year, in particular the Bolognese pasta, was that it was not dehydrated, it was just normal pasta you purchase up town, only the sauce was dehydrated, you had to cook the pasta as you do at home. I would have thought the pasta would have been cooked and dehydrated with the sauce. In saying this, it was very yummy. But there are some disadvantages, particularly for me, It takes longer and more fuel to cook and the weight of the pasta meals where heavier than my own dehydrated pasta, each meal at least 70 grams heavier than my dehydrated pasta and my meals where a more generous servings. Will I use them again? maybe. I also purchased 3 meals of that Laksa, It was yuck. I ended up giving them away. Other's thought it was nice. But I hated it.

Yeah, that's the biggest gripe that I have, especially using a Whisperlite, and messing with the stove to get it to simmer.

Strive meals don't need to simmer. They only need to be brought to the boil, then left for few minutes to absorb the water before heating up again. It even says so on the packet.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 8:14 pm

Strider wrote:
ryantmalone wrote:

Yeah, that's the biggest gripe that I have, especially using a Whisperlite, and messing with the stove to get it to simmer.

Strive meals don't need to simmer. They only need to be brought to the boil, then left for few minutes to absorb the water before heating up again. It even says so on the packet.

My pasta was not cooked. It was hard pasta like you purchase At your super market.
Pasta is so easy to cook and dehydrate, Why not dehydrate the whole meal and not just parts of it? I don't believe in there method. For me taking pasta to the boil and waiting 5 minutes is not cooked enough.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 8:25 pm

Following there supplied instructions for me it was more like a soup and not a pasta meal. I tried the 2nd pasta meal the following day with a lot less water and it was a lot better. More like a pasta and not a soup.

If they would Cook the pasta with the sauce etc and dehydrate together, I will use there meals on a regular basis. But what I was supplied was a bit of a disappointment. Not worth the price.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 7:15 am

Phillipsart wrote:My pasta was not cooked. It was hard pasta like you purchase At your super market.
Pasta is so easy to cook and dehydrate, Why not dehydrate the whole meal and not just parts of it? I don't believe in there method. For me taking pasta to the boil and waiting 5 minutes is not cooked enough.

I can't even cook pasta in 5 minutes of continuous boiling. It takes about 8 minutes of boiling, I think.

I haven't tried their bolognese but with their other meals, I boiled it for a minute or two, then let it sit for about 10 minutes with the lid on. Worked very well for all the ones I tried.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rob A » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 9:01 pm

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 54349 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 54349 times
Rob A

Postby fenlok » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 5:03 pm

We've had quite a few of most of their meals and not struck a single punctured packet - though we don't eat meat, and that seems to be the cause of said issue.

As for the cooking time/use of fuel etc.: like Strider points out, bringing to the boil, letting sit for 10 mins and re-heating again for a couple of mins does the trick.
fenlok
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 7:55 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
I can't even cook pasta in 5 minutes of continuous boiling. It takes about 8 minutes of boiling, I think.

I haven't tried their bolognese but with their other meals, I boiled it for a minute or two, then let it sit for about 10 minutes with the lid on. Worked very well for all the ones I tried.

SoaB,
I have to agree with Rob A, San Remo Angel Hair Pasta (which I have mentioned b4 on the forum) is excellent and cooks in 2 to 3 mins max,I break it in half to fit the pots I use .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 8:00 pm

corvus wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:

SoaB,
I have to agree with Rob A, San Remo Angel Hair Pasta (which I have mentioned b4 on the forum) is excellent and cooks in 2 to 3 mins max,I break it in half to fit the pots I use .
corvus

Totally agree, Corvus. But I was talking about the pasta in the Strive Food meals, which is macaroni, shells, or similar.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sun 10 Mar, 2013 8:23 pm

Perhaps we should tell them about Angel Hair :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby 12Black10 » Thu 14 Mar, 2013 8:00 pm

neilmny wrote:It's pretty simple really. They don't reply to 2 emails, I shouldn't have to chase them on the phone,
I don't buy their product again and will deliver my reasons to anyone who asks what I think of them.

The loss of vac seal will not compromise the food. A punctured bag is obviously different and can happen in transit.
They'd replace it, send a txt.
12Black10
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby neilmny » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 7:49 am

12Black10 wrote:
neilmny wrote:It's pretty simple really. They don't reply to 2 emails, I shouldn't have to chase them on the phone,

The loss of vac seal will not compromise the food. A punctured bag is obviously different and can happen in transit.
They'd replace it, send a txt.

The loss of vacuum does comprimise the food and has exactly the same effect as a puncture.
Loss of vacuum is an expression to describe ingress of air to a previously "airless" space.
The food within the bag is compromised.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 8:55 am

Did you ever actually make any confirmed contact with with them? (ie, apart from emails that nobody can be certain were delivered or read)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 9:08 am

I read the store policy which required mobile phone contact and arrangement to return the goods.
Could have cost more than the product was worth so basically thats the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't have commented any further but I thought as a person with 40 years experience in the packaging industry
it was important to note that loss of vacuum for vacuum packed foods means a failed and potentially dangerous product.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sat 16 Mar, 2013 8:54 am

Yesterday (Saturday 15/3/13) I received an email from Strive Foods and a follow up phone call offering a replacement.
Names have been ommitted for privacy reasons.

The email contained a "forward" of a reply to me on 4/2/13 which I had not received .....
"Hi Neil
I am sorry for the inconvenience that has caused you and that you are upset but the Meal is still ok to eat. We only vacuumed the bags for better packing. I will forward your e-mail on to our Owner and get back to you as soon as possible"

They finally got back to me around 6 weeks later................yesterdays email.
"Hi Neil,
We haven't heard back from you about the Pasta Bolognese and whether you wanted a replacement? I think I will give you a call to check.
As we mentioned we have passed on the packaging advice you have given to the owner and to clarify the meals are fine when the vacuum seal has been lost.
The meals are still fine to eat and taste exactly the same. If you have further questions feel free to call us.

Interestingly they were getting back to me....see first email above.......... but I hadn't gotten back to them and in my original email I had stated "I doubt the product is consumable now that the vacuum is broken and I would like a replacement please."............... What the ??????????

While confused by the above process, I greatfully accept the replacement and I will be returning the original for them to examine.
The problem on my close examination is a lack of penetration on the seal. ie. Too short a time heating or too low a heat setting.

You be the judge regarding the consumability of a dehydrated product that contains meat being stored in an unsealed container (vacuum broken).

To be fair they are now resolving the problem.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Sat 16 Mar, 2013 9:15 am

I've only had good service in store from Strive.
They have a 'bargain box' with meals that have lost their vac seal. I've bought several with no problems whatsoever.

Theirs are the best dehy meals on the market imho.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Newbie » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 6:37 pm

Strive are great for my new adventures, always great service and food! It seems they did contact you, maybe you should check your server. Things can go wrong, it's happened to me before.
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker