Tassie Spuds

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Tassie Spuds

Postby vagrom » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:32 pm

So just like camping gear really. Good Aussie cheeses are up around the European prices. Only, you can eat cheeses but not your camping gear :oops: What happened to leather straps?! (If your tent floor's made of PVC, don't even think about it. Carcinogenic...)
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Hallu » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 2:52 pm

A good Aussie cheese at 20 $ / kg at a big market ? No chance in hell... Maybe directly from the producer, but then European cheeses also are cheaper bought directly at the farm...

I had some excellent Aussie cheeses (mainly from King or Bruny island), but more like above the 50 $ / kg limit. There are so many good producers in Europe that prices are low. I don't mind paying top dollar for local cheeses here in Australia, what I don't like is paying 3 times as much here as in Europe for an imported product or when I see unscrupulous sellers making you think anything French has got to be expensive...
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby vagrom » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:13 pm

You realise they're obliged to export only pasteurised cheeses to Aussie. They don't have to do that for the Kiwis. I think it's just that we're largely warmer here, with spoilage and health issues a worry. As a result, cheaper Aussie soft cheeses can be almost tasteless. Best chance is getting any of them close to use-by date. Happily, the price often drops then too. Soft, not too smelly and flavoursome. But not a scratch on the Frogs.
Lactos is/was a French concern. Is it the milk; I don't know? Smelly Cheese in Adelaide sometimes clears 250gm Grand Terroir de Briouzes from Normandy for $10; "Close to date", yet I don't know if Millewa or anybody in Oz can make rounds with flavour like them. A bit salty, smelly but not offensively, runny but not liquid.
The price may have to be high because so much of it gets turfed, unsold.

(I don't care how f...ing runny it is!.... -John Cleese)
Last edited by vagrom on Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:26 pm

Watch Cheese Slices with Will Studd
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stepbystep » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 9:56 pm

There is a non-pasteurised non-homogenised cheese sold by Bruny Island Cheeses, it's very nice.

You can also buy non-pasteurised milk in Tasmania if you know the right people :wink: It's a ridiculous state of affairs we have some great cheese makers down here begging to make the real thing.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Hallu » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 11:23 pm

Yeah I got one of them Bruny Island cheeses at QV market, very good, but about 100 $/kg. Closest I got from the French ones though.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 7:39 am

Join the Bruny Island cheese club - they do regular mail order offers - although I'm not sure how the prices compare to retail.

BTW, if anyone wants to drink unpasteurised milk you need to buy what is known as "Bath Milk" - a number of independent dairies have it in their product range.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:06 pm

King Island Stormy, Bruny Island Mr. Palomar and 1792. I've eaten a bunch of those tasty stinky cheeses in the bush. Good stuff. One time, at Judd's Charm, on a really hot day, we opened up a plastic baggie with some ripe 1792 in it. In about 15 seconds every fly within 10 kilometers wanted into our tent. We had to close the door!
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vagrom » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 1:51 pm

Cooler in Tassie. Maybe that could be a tourism hook: "Come down here and taste cheese as it should be." Are all states supposed to follow suite on food reg's?
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby vagrom » Sat 27 Apr, 2013 5:28 pm

Just checked. The reason why they're $5/kg, is they're Organic. But Tassie Nicola's are $1/kg cheaper than 'Creams and Bintjes. Is there any difference, flavour-wise? Are Nicola's in season after the other two?
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby walk2wineries » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:27 am

Don't know Melbourne well but in SA its best to go to the junky weekend markets held in the drive-ins and shopping centre carparks. Torrens Island, Gepps Cross. I got a 5kg sack of perfect capsicums for $6 instead of $6/kg at COles. Occasonally boxes of mushies at the end of the day for $10. Alternatively some stores have racks of backyard produce out the front - seriously, a hairdresser & bakery at Pooraka are the best for tomatoes! BUtternuts <$1 each. Feeds the family well and I can spend my money on important things like walking trips. Experimenting with drying leek/onion/ so I can make fast lentil soup in places where one needn't carry water.... Oh, and the markets have home-produced olives and olive oil; sometimes olives vacumn packed in plastic. ANd occasionally excellent fruit leathers - Murwullimba markets currently have fabulous rounds with rings of dragonfruit, mango and goodness knows what else.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 4:00 pm

A couple of local places just found selling Tassie Creams and others at $3.60/kg. Will there be more? Down from a dollar a spud! :D

And of wine, Dan's still beats all comers. No real competition at the moment, at least in the sub $20 range.
Rec: their cleanskin Taster's Choice (grey label) McLaren Vale Shiraz 2011, at $9.
14.5%, so not for lunch. Most of these cheaper options really come up 24 hrs +> after opening, so always ensure you've got a rested one waiting, unshaken on the trip home.

(Food glorious food, Hot sausage and mustard..!)
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby Rob A » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 8:52 am

walk2wineries wrote:I got a 5kg sack of perfect capsicums

What do you do with 5kg of capsicums? At coles the prices sometimes go through the roof, Ive seen the green variety, normally the cheapest, at over ten a kilo. It would be handy to know what to do with bulk quants when stuff is in season.
Sadly, the last of our local fruit and veg outlets have rolled up in the onslaght of the big guys, but to be honest the market is so stuffed now that they seemed to be using the same suppliers, same stock.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby Rob A » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 8:58 am

Wheres the edit/delete button gone so I can fix my spelling mistakes?

Screen shot 2013-07-26 at 8.56.19 AM.png
Screen shot 2013-07-26 at 8.56.19 AM.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 13075 times
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby vagrom » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes, you're right Rob. Editing's not posimus at the moment, on this tasty thread.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby Hallu » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 3:30 pm

I also don't understand why you pay more for the yellow or red capsicums... In Europe, the yellow is the cheapest because not many people buy it, and red/green are the same price (usually between 3 and 4 € / kilo).
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vagrom » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 4:06 pm

Demand and supply?

The red's popular as it makes a dish look more interesting and so, appetising. I thought that reds were maturer green ones and that possibly, yellows were the maturer of the three. Do they grade in flavour too, that is piquancy?

Seriously impressed by Walk2's sense of priorities: "...(so) I can spend my money on important things, like walking trips." :D If you don't walk, you don't eat and if you don't eat, you die. :?

Remember that Gaganis' in Hindmarsh sell imported dried onion, quite reasonably priced. Lots of good stuff there.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby Rob A » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 8:57 pm

Well, tonight at coles the Capsicum prices are;

Yellow @ $5.98/kg
Red $2.98/kg
Green $2.98/kg

In france that would be Eu1.89, 0.94, 0.94 roughly round about Euros ... per pound.

Ps ... theres no tab function in thread or post either. AND :evil: space bar repeat doesnt work either! How are we suposed to organise columns?
Rob A

Postby Orion » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 11:45 am

That's about $1.33 per pound USD for the red and green, about the same as it is here, give or take. I'll bet your spuds are better though.

"How are we suposed to organise columns?"

With an image. The common people cannot be trusted with HTML on a public website. Too risky.
You can use the Code tag. Just compose in an editor with fixed width font since the "Post A Reply" box is proportional font.
Example:

Code: Select all
Yellow        $5.98/kg
Red           $2.98/kg
Green         $2.98/kg
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker