Soylent - the ultimate bushwalking food?

Food topics, including recipes.

Soylent - the ultimate bushwalking food?

Postby LandSailor » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 12:31 pm

Check out Soylent as a convenient way to take nutrition.
I know having something tasty at the end of the day is an enjoyable part of bushwalking, but that doesnt mean something like Soylent might not have its place too.
A quick lunch whilst on the move...or simply being able to head off on short notice and take x number of days food without needing to plan meals.
Something like this must already exist Im sure.......

The guys website is here.

LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Soylent - the ultimate bushwalking food?

Postby photohiker » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 1:34 pm

I saw Soylent once, didn't care for it from a nutritional perspective. LINK

:mrgreen:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Picaro » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 6:00 pm

He's a 24 year old software engineer. I guess that qualifies him.....as a 40 year old corpse in progress.
I just wouldnt feel right, placing the welfare of my biological organism in his hands.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby LandSailor » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 6:33 pm

Picaro wrote:He's a 24 year old software engineer. I guess that qualifies him.....as a 40 year old corpse in progress.
I just wouldnt feel right, placing the welfare of my biological organism in his hands.

Not sure what age has got to do with it..and no idea whether his particular formula is perfect.
But as a general concept, I cant see any problem in having something that attempts complete nutrition for lunch over a few days compared to the normal cheese/salami/crackers/scroggin type stuff that most people take. Not to mention the questionable nutritional value in most commercial dehy food....its fairly likely it would at least provide comparable nutrition (most likely *alot* better).
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Miyata610 » Fri 15 Mar, 2013 6:39 pm

He seems to have at least put some thought in to it. Is that typical of a software engineer? Maybe. Or a 24 year old? Maybe.

A similar product is available OTC, Sustagen Hospital Formula. You could probably live off it. If you really wanted to.

But why?
Phil
Miyata610
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby rimair » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 8:24 am

Not to be confused with "Soylent Green" from the 1973 SciFi movie ".... the oceans no longer produce the plankton from which Soylent Green is reputedly made, and conclude it is made from human remains."
rimair
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 9:03 am

An all-in-one dietary shake is hardly a new idea.

The inventor of this one said that he "read a book" and then "took to the internet". Hmmm.

For bushwalking, a proper diet hardly matters as long as there's enough kJ and you can eat it and digest it comfortably. For meeting long-term dietary needs? I'd personally wait until the scientific community has weighed in, and that would likely include studies of people consuming this drink for many years.

But the biggest problem -- the most obvious one -- is what the inventor himself admits is a limitation: "...some people really enjoy food a lot more than I do, so they may not like the idea".

Some people??
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ryantmalone » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 11:07 am

The major flaw in this guys (otherwise interesting) idea is that it is most likely designed for someone who lives a particular kind of lifestyle, less activity than someone who goes hiking for example.

I can guarantee that this stuff would be in one end and out the other half way to morning tea on most hikes. With the carbs coming from Dextrose, a very simple carb that takes next to no time for the body to burn, drinking this stuff on a hike would be a fool proof crash and burn method.
ryantmalone

Postby LandSailor » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 1:57 pm

ryantmalone wrote: The major flaw in this guys (otherwise interesting) idea is that it is most likely designed for someone who lives a particular kind of lifestyle, less activity than someone who goes hiking for example.

Yes Ive no idea if his particular formula is any good either in general or for hiking in particular. Im more interested in the general concept as a way of hopefully maximising health/energy whilst minimising preparation hassle/weight whilst on a walk. Like most people I would find it extremely boring to eat nothing but Soylent but it might have a place as a quick breakfast or lunch whilst on the move.

He's just put up a new post with his latest results.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ryantmalone » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 4:13 pm

LandSailor wrote:
ryantmalone wrote: The major flaw in this guys (otherwise interesting) idea is that it is most likely designed for someone who lives a particular kind of lifestyle, less activity than someone who goes hiking for example.

Yes Ive no idea if his particular formula is any good either in general or for hiking in particular. Im more interested in the general concept as a way of hopefully maximising health/energy whilst minimising preparation hassle/weight whilst on a walk. Like most people I would find it extremely boring to eat nothing but Soylent but it might have a place as a quick breakfast or lunch whilst on the move.

He's just put up a new post with his latest results.

It definitely does bring up some interesting ideas for those who want to shave off grams, that's for sure.
ryantmalone

Postby roodeny101 » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 1:43 am

LandSailor wrote:
Picaro wrote:He's a 24 year old software engineer. I guess that qualifies him.....as a 40 year old corpse in progress.

Not sure what age has got to do with it..and no idea whether his particular formula is perfect.
But as a general concept, I cant see any problem in having something that attempts complete nutrition for lunch over a few days compared to the normal cheese/salami/crackers/scroggin type stuff that most people take. Not to mention the questionable nutritional value in most commercial dehy food....its fairly likely it would at least provide comparable nutrition (most likely *alot* better).

Na it's Soylent and green look it up in utube he is obviously not a movie buff .
roodeny101
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:22 am

I'm surprised how few people get the Soylent Green connection.

Either he is not a movie buff like you suggest, or he is having a huge laugh at anyone who is sucked in. :lol:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby biggbird » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 11:25 am

Don't know that it would give one that sense of fullness and satisfaction after eating a good meal, meaning I doubt I could live on it, nutrients be damned!
biggbird

Postby Wolfix » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 2:18 pm

He said he read a book and got his idea from there. Obviously it was Make Room! Make Room!

I wouldn't touch anything called Soylent, let alone eat it. May as well have called it "reconstituted cremains".
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker