Gluten, grain, nut, legume, dairy free trail foods

Food topics, including recipes.

Gluten, grain, nut, legume, dairy free trail foods

Postby peter-robinson » Wed 29 May, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I saw the recent vegan food thread and was inspired to ask about ideas for low irritant foods. I started out as very gluten intolerant and over the years we have found that I have troubles with pretty much all grains, seeds, nuts, legumes and most dairy. They do bad stuff to my immune system which then does bad stuff to me.

The list of what I can't have is so long now, it's easiest to just say I am intolerant :-)

Think of a typical camping/hiking food. I probably can't have it. It tends to be based heavily on processed carbs that are on my list of can't-have.

Pasta - no
GF pasta - no
Oatmeal - no
Trail mix - no
Beans, lentils, chickpeas, soy, etc - no
Heat and eat packaged stuff - way too many unknowns
Trail mix is based on nuts and seeds
Dried fruit - a bit, but only if it's free of sulfur based preservatives

At home I stick to basic whole foods- meat, eggs (a nice surprise that I can have them), a bit of fresh fish, most veg, a bit of fruit - more berries than fruits. This is all great food and I stay healthy and happy but it's making my renewed interest in bush walking a bit difficult.

For a day walk I will take something like: a couple of boiled eggs, a shredded piece of chicken with some mixed salad, maybe a piece of fruit. It's bulky, perishable stuff that's awkward to handle on a walk. I can't imagine carrying enough for another through-walk. I'm guessing dehydrating my own meals will be the key - I haven't tried that yet.

I really hope there's not anybody else out there with similar hassles, but if there is, would you like to discuss ideas for meals and snacks? Ways of getting enough calories in without all the processed carb stuff? (Mmmm bacon)

Thanks, Peter
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Gluten, grain, nut, legume, dairy free trail foods

Postby wayno » Wed 29 May, 2013 1:18 pm

jerky.. depending on what additives are in thejerky you're looking at..
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby peter-robinson » Wed 29 May, 2013 2:36 pm

wayno wrote:jerky.. depending on what additives are in thejerky you're looking at..

Oh yes, thanks wayno, I left out jerky. I get it from a guy at our farmers markets. It's free of stuff like soy sauce which is usually in the mixtures. Actually I get biltong but much the same thing.

I am going to try making some kangaroo jerky
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby neilmny » Wed 29 May, 2013 2:57 pm

What about dehydrating your own foods, fruits etc. so that know what is in it and you can carry enough.
It would be really difficult to carry fresh food for more than a day walk.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 29 May, 2013 3:12 pm

I was going to suggest the same (ie dehydrate your own). I can sympathise though as my household is similar. Im a coeliac and have always had a poultry allergy so no chicken, duck, eggs etc (and I have take antihistamines when I hike so I can use my down). My son is casein and rice intolerant and also some deadly nightshades (tomatoes n capsicum). I feel so sorry for my husband sometimes I really do lol. But hey it just forces you to eat fresh n cut the processed rubbish most of the time so its all good. I just need to develop a chocolate allergy and I'll be half my size lol.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby peter-robinson » Wed 29 May, 2013 3:28 pm

neilmny wrote:What about dehydrating your own foods, fruits etc. so that know what is in it and you can carry enough.
It would be really difficult to carry fresh food for more than a day walk.

Hi neilmny, agreed I will probably need to dehydrate meals. Some form of hotpot thing like curry or stew works for an evening meal. Breakfast I'm not sure of yet. Lunch on the go is easy enough on day 1 but after that I have no ideas yet.
Thanks
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby neilmny » Wed 29 May, 2013 3:53 pm

Food intolerance makes life tricky specially for the people around you who have no such problem.
I "was" very intolerant to wheat back in the late 80's and I was fortunate enough to meet up with a nose, ear and throat speciallist
who had some outragious ideas (for that time). Basically he saved me from 2 or 3 severe migraines a week that I'd reach the point
of "jumping of a cliff" from, life was misery. But now things are not too bad and I can recognise the signs from a miraid of foods and additives
that can effect me badly. The biggest saver was when I discovered that the commonly used preservative 282 was the major culprit.

Neil.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peter-robinson » Wed 29 May, 2013 4:01 pm

Bluegum Mic wrote:I was going to suggest the same (ie dehydrate your own). I can sympathise though as my household is similar. Im a coeliac and have always had a poultry allergy so no chicken, duck, eggs etc (and I have take antihistamines when I hike so I can use my down). My son is casein and rice intolerant and also some deadly nightshades (tomatoes n capsicum). I feel so sorry for my husband sometimes I really do lol. But hey it just forces you to eat fresh n cut the processed rubbish most of the time so its all good. I just need to develop a chocolate allergy and I'll be half my size lol.

Hi Mic, yes, I can't touch nightshades either but I didn't want to start writing war and peace up front :-) for me it's potatoes tomato, capsicum, chilli, eggplant and potato that I know of.
Re fresh, yes it's all the time for me. The whole household went very strictly GF a dozen years ago. My 2 daughters have both shown signs when they get tainted food outside. My wife has a severe nut allergy. Fun hey!!
Chocolate? There's too much stuff in most chocolate so I make my own bitter dark choc with pure cacao and a bit of coconut oil. It's wild stuff but ok. hehe
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby peter-robinson » Wed 29 May, 2013 4:10 pm

neilmny wrote:Food intolerance makes life tricky specially for the people around you who have no such problem.
I "was" very intolerant to wheat back in the late 80's and I was fortunate enough to meet up with a nose, ear and throat speciallist
who had some outragious ideas (for that time).

The biggest saver was when I discovered that the commonly used preservative 282 was the major culprit.

Ugh! I'm glad you found it. The additives in the 1400s are also really bad for increasing wheat and gluten intolerance.
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby peter-robinson » Wed 29 May, 2013 4:11 pm

So, given that there are at least a few of us, what do you eat for a typical meal? especially breakfast or lunch?
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby neilmny » Wed 29 May, 2013 4:47 pm

It seems for me that if I avoid the nasty numbers I live a fairly happy life.
We eat a lot of fresh food or food prepared by ourselves and because I can eat grain again I have pasta or nuts and dried fruit with some dark chocolate
squares for a bit of a boost for lunch. I've been making mac pasta "bol" style stuff and dehydrating it. Breakfast is corn flakes, all bran, dried fruit and banana with no milk.
Not that I have a problem with milk just don't like soggy cereal.
I can eat wholemeal and wholegrain breads now but with no nasty numbers it took years (maybe 10 to 15) to de sensitise.
I can tell within 5 minutes if any bread I eat contains 282, I fall apart, feel like there's lead in my limbs and the concentration turns to do do!
As I say it is more about avoiding numbers that keeps me healthy. Not very helpful to you Peter unfortunately.
The reality is we are forced to eat good food.....not all bad!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 29 May, 2013 6:47 pm

Bluegum Mic wrote: I just need to develop a chocolate allergy and I'll be half my size lol.

There's nothing funny about that. I think I'd walk off the nearest cliff.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 31 May, 2013 6:21 pm

peter-robinson wrote:
wayno wrote:jerky.. depending on what additives are in thejerky you're looking at..

Oh yes, thanks wayno, I left out jerky. I get it from a guy at our farmers markets. It's free of stuff like soy sauce which is usually in the mixtures. Actually I get biltong but much the same thing.

I am going to try making some kangaroo jerky

Roo jerky should work out really well, as it's low in fat, very little marbling.
It's why venison works better than beef, and 'tougher' meat with little marbling is better too
Fat will go rancid with time

I've not made some myself, but would be interested to see how you go, esp with a home made marinade with stuff you can eat.

And condolences to all with food intolerances - it must make things very inconvenient. I can't imagine what it's like - I can eat anything........(but currently following a high prot low carb Atkins type diet for weight loss and toning up with strength work in prep for some longer walks this winter and Patagonia later on in the year)
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bush Tucker