9 DAY TRIP FOOD PLAN -Opinions....

Food topics, including recipes.

9 DAY TRIP FOOD PLAN -Opinions....

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 7:17 pm

Ok here’s the deal…
So I am planning to do a 9 day trip ( 60km round trip ) to do some fly fishing at my fave lil’ place in the mountains. I have done this many, many, many times but thought I would run this by everyone to get some good opinions and feedback ( and it might be fun to see everyone’s choices?!).
What I would like to know is - : Can you better my menu plan by both weight, $price, and taste? ( yes …subjective to individual, but give it a shot). Here is my proposed menu.
*- Dinner will be 1 serve of a 5 serve FREEZE DRIED MEAL – HONEY SOY CHICKEN WITH RICE ETC ( $29.95 RRP) plus added condiments of sweet chilli sauce or ketchup AND 1 pkt of Mi Goreng Noodles ( yeah I know they are the standard, with the awesome lil sachets x 3)
backcountry-cuisine-5serve.jpg
backcountry-cuisine-5serve.jpg (99.92 KiB) Viewed 6232 times

748px-Indomie_Goreng.jpg
748px-Indomie_Goreng.jpg (116.56 KiB) Viewed 6232 times

7325091.jpg.png
7325091.jpg.png (70.45 KiB) Viewed 6232 times

continental_chinese_chicken_corn_soup1.jpg

Day1: ( walk to camp 1). Scroggin on trail ( or POWERGEL or Peanut M&M’s etc ), Dinner: Coles Butter Chicken with Naan
Day2: (Camp 1 to Basecamp). B: Uncle Toby Instant Oats x2 pkts. L: Muesli bar/powerbar. D: Continental Instant Soup x 2 pkts. Freeze Dried Meal with Mi Goreng 2 min Noodles.
Day 3 -9 :– Instant Oats for Breakky. (Lunch): Ham/Salami with Laughing Cow/Babybell Cheese and Mountain bread or Ryvita or similar. D: Freeze Dried Meal 1 serve. 2 x Instant Soup. Mi Goreng x 1
laughing-cow.jpg

So can you post a 9 day meal plan in this format?
Day 1: on trail food and Dinner only
Day 2-8: Breakky/Lunch/Dinner ( plus treats ) – I LOVE the Cadbury’s Marvelous Creations Chockky, and also the Aldi Cheese Balls….( oops sorry meant to be strict!)

Day 9: (walk out) so only Breakky and On Trail
*NB: this meal plan does not include extras such as Coffee and Tea.
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: New South Wales

Re: 9 DAY TRIP FOOD PLAN -Opinions....

Postby andrewa » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 9:44 pm

Immediate response is to get rid of dinner plans and just eat fish.

I have fly fished remote backcountry rivers in NZ for the last 10yrs ish doing 9 day trips, and over this time, we have only had 1 night when we didn't have a fish for dinner. We initially took food for dinner , but nowadays only take 2 pkts of 2 min noodles for a 9 day trip......all based on probability.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Mutley » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 8:50 pm

Buy yourself a dehydrator and dry the meals you eat at home. It will save you a small fortune compared with freeze dried dinners. Muesli or oats for breakfast, salami and sliced cheese wraps for lunch and dehy stew and cous cous, rice or pasta for dinner. Throw in a few muesli bars for snacks, a goon bag of port for the nights and any fish you catch will be a bonus. I work on 750 grams a day, which gives me 11,000 kj. Too easy.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:11 pm

Mutley wrote:Buy yourself a dehydrator and dry the meals you eat at home. It will save you a small fortune compared with freeze dried dinners.

+1
I also discovered, after >30 years of walking, that my home dehyd meals taste better and rehydrate better than the posh freeze dried ones :) I lashed out on a couple of those last year, in an attempt to minimise weight and fuel. I was surprised at the cardboard-like pieces of partially rehydrated 'chicken'. :(

But that got me trying just bringing my own to the boil and letting it sit for 10 mins - which is often enough. (The simplest thing is to toss in some rice vermicelli when the water boils, and Bob is my proverbial uncle.)
I have learnt to only use minced meat/chicken, for quickest dehyd/rehydrating.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby matagi » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:38 pm

andrewa wrote:Immediate response is to get rid of dinner plans and just eat fish.

I have fly fished remote backcountry rivers in NZ for the last 10yrs ish doing 9 day trips, and over this time, we have only had 1 night when we didn't have a fish for dinner. We initially took food for dinner , but nowadays only take 2 pkts of 2 min noodles for a 9 day trip......all based on probability.

A

Yes, why no inclusion of freshly caught fish in the menu planning?
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 9:39 am

matagi wrote:
andrewa wrote:Immediate response is to get rid of dinner plans and just eat fish.

A

I try to use a catch and release policy most of the time, especially in the place I am going to (leaving tomorrow), as having nice trout in those places is a treat, and I want them to live for a later time. I will however probably eat maybe 1 or 2 during the trip.
I think dehydrating and vacuum sealing is the way to go though
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: New South Wales

Postby SteveJ » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:03 pm

I am unsure why you would feel strongly about C & R of an introduced species that is breed by the millions in trout farms and released for sport and for the table. If you where targeting bass, cod or other threatened native species I would understand not eating any but..... come on, the spotted feral is not exactly endangered? I can understand the ease of dehy food but not eating trout on the grounds of conservation of the introduced feral fish....I'll eat your share :-)

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 8:05 am

KANANGRABOYD wrote:
matagi wrote:

A

I try to use a catch and release policy most of the time, especially in the place I am going to (leaving tomorrow), as having nice trout in those places is a treat, and I want them to live for a later time. I will however probably eat maybe 1 or 2 during the trip.
I think dehydrating and vacuum sealing is the way to go though

Enjoy your bushwalk today, i wish I could have joined you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Return to Bush Tucker