New Dehydrator

Food topics, including recipes.

New Dehydrator

Postby Jason L » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 11:52 am

I bought a dehydrator off eBay it looks like the Excalibur but only $120, I have made some minced based meals and one batch of jerky. It has 8 trays and works fantastic, I am just about to make another batch of jerky using beef and pork that will be 3 different flavours. Thanks to all the people on this sight for some great advice.
Jason L
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: New Dehydrator

Postby Jason L » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 1:16 pm

I have also just cooked a Moroccan flavoured prawn dish that will go into the dehydrator after the jerky finishs. No more freezes dried meals for me my home made ones taste so much better and 1/4 the price.
Jason L
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 8:20 pm

G'day Jason L,
Well done with your purchase however be aware that some Sea Foods do not dry and reconstitute as well as you would expect ,so by all means experiment with Prawns but do a test run taste b4 you head out bush .
I tried Tuna slices and they were almost inedible in the field :lol: no problems with any 4 legged meats ,minced is best IMHO but have had success with very finely sliced Roast Pork and Jerky as you have found out is so much better and cheaper when done at home :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Jason L » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for the advice Corvus I got the idea from a YouTube clip where a guy made shrimp Mozambique. All the replies to his video where very positive for taste after being rehydrated. But I will do a taste test before going bush.
Jason L
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Jason L » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 12:12 pm

My dehydrator is fantastic I have made several batches of jerky only takes 4hrs, a batch of fruit leathers ad have just made some almond meal porridge for a upcoming hike. This machine has worked a treat and it was only $120. I would recommend this machine.
Jason L
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paddlpop » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 2:03 pm

If you are using pork it MUST be cooked prior to dehydrating. The drying process alone will not kill the parasites that may be present. Generally steer clear of chook ,pork and seafood. You'll get all the variety you need in beef.
I live on the stuff and bought loads of hickory essence back from the US to add a nice smokey flavour. Definitely a good hike food. I've also been quite successfully drying chilli and rice too. Pretty much all my hiking provisions go in either the dehydrator and or the vacuum sealer.
paddlpop
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby matt turner » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi Jason

Did the dehydrator come with any mesh sheets for drying foods with lots of liquid?

How does it perform with these types of meals ie curries/lentils etc?
matt turner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 11:07 pm

Don't forget to try out kangaroo as a replacement for beef in recipes. Relatively cheap and very low fat which improves longevity. I always use kangaroo mince in spag bol etc.
Fly wire works well as a mesh liner.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Jason L » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 7:44 pm

Matt Turner
Yes it came with 2 sheets and it works great on those wet meals. I have made leather wraps and full mince meals. Works great.
Jason L
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Thu 05 Sep, 2013 9:04 pm

I have used Glad Bake under "wet foods" and it works :D
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Region: Tasmania

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 06 Sep, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi a colleague of mine from a Bushwalking club I'm in says that the higher acidity of the dried food the better it keeps even without refrigeration. He worked at the DPI in victoria so did have some real life experience and science behind the claims. Most vegetables and fruits are acidic so are easy to keep. Air is best expelled out of the storage bag and one of the vacuum ones are good (I use a Kogan one but Aldi also have them from time to time) my friend used a device he made with foam rubber stuck on the inside of a hinged "sandwich' where you just put it in and squeezed out the air (he still had a bag sealer). Sometimes the food you dry is so very dry and sharp it cuts through the bag and lets the air in. I have started to put the dried food in a little paper towel to protect it a little more without increasing the weight too much and you can write on the paper towel what it is (and how many serves).
For any meats make sure you trim off all the fatty parts & skin (if chook) and slice or mince them finely as the dehydrate and more importantly rehydrate better. If it all clumps up into big hard lumps you can put it through a food processor or one of the old fashioned hand mincers to break it up a bit more finely. Ok you wont get a nice rehydrated roast beef slices and spuds and gravy but it will taste like you like it and you know what you put in your own food. A tip if you want a nice smooth or creamy finish to your rehydrated food is to add a little amount of chick pea flour (or blitz up some tinned chick peas) as you are making the meal before dehydrating it. I totally agree with all of the the other advice given too. I still have not made a cosy for my pot though I must do that and save fuel.
Cheers and welcome to the dehydrated food users group (secret handshake details apply though :-))
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker