Salami..

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Salami..

Postby Hallu » Sat 04 Apr, 2015 1:51 am

Buy dried salami or what the French call saucisson. For some reason, it's not that well known in English speaking countries, I've never understood why. I think they don't like things that are tough to the tooth : they want soft bread and soft cured meat. You can take pâté or terrine in a 3 day trip too, and some hard cheeses such as gruyère, emmental or beaufort. Harder stuff such as pecorino or parmesan will keep forever, but too much of it and you won't poop for the whole trip.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby vicrev » Sat 04 Apr, 2015 7:33 pm

Hallu wrote:Buy dried salami or what the French call saucisson. For some reason, it's not that well known in English speaking countries, I've never understood why. I think they don't like things that are tough to the tooth : they want soft bread and soft cured meat. You can take pâté or terrine in a 3 day trip too, and some hard cheeses such as gruyère, emmental or beaufort. Harder stuff such as pecorino or parmesan will keep forever, but too much of it and you won't poop for the whole trip.
It gets complicated,Hallu,the history of sausage in Oz,our sausages used to have loads of fat in them,(that is where the taste is) then some do good twerps said there should only be a certain percentage of fat in them,because it was considered by them,to be unhealthy....A friend of ours spent half a lifetime flogging manufactured fat ( looked like solidified soft chalk) made by a a German food processer all over the world & made a fortune.....I could not imagine the French or Italians accepting crap like that. :( ...We in Oz accept just about anything,our labeling laws are pathetic... :( ....Remember when you used to put snags on the barbie & they used to spit fat everywhere ?... :) ....I think the same laws,as far as fat content apply to Oz manufactured salami,hence,the lack of taste & the same white ,tasteless gloop.....nothing like real Italian salami or,French saucisson........ :D
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Sat 04 Apr, 2015 9:41 pm

It's a worldwide trend, I had a girlfriend who would panfry a steak with no fat in the pan : no oil no nothing. The steak was burnt each time, she said it was healthy, while it's just the perfect recipe for stomach cancer. Butter and animal fat are good for you, just in reasonable amounts. People actually believe the French paradox (the French living longer than other countries with same or lower fat intake per capita) is actually due to the well made butter, cream and oils we use, that are more easily processed by the body. So since your body needs fat anyway, why not cut on supermarket biscuits and chips, which are too salty, sugary and full of palm oil, and eat nice cured meats, cheeses and pastries instead.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Strider » Sat 04 Apr, 2015 10:04 pm

A good quality steak needs no oil.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Sun 05 Apr, 2015 7:37 am

In the 70s,I stayed with a pig farming family in Somerset,they used to send the meat off to market & keep the fat for their own consumption,it would be thickly sliced & fried in the frypan,served up with whatever veg was available at that time of year,todays dieticians would be horrified (I must admit,i was when I first saw it on the table in front of me! :shock: )They all looked pretty healthy to me,the husband & wife were in their 80s,& had eaten bucket loads of pure fat all their lives......makes me wonder about all this don't eat this & don't eat that by some of these so called food gurus & experts,who sometimes look as if they need a good feed anyway. :wink: ...............
vicrev

Postby Empty » Sun 05 Apr, 2015 8:34 am

Many years ago I worked as a ringer on cattle properties in the NT. We had no refrigeration in the cattle camps and used to kill a beast every 7 to 10 days. For the first day or so it was fresh steak and after that corned beef which was covered in inches of thick yellow fat. All the born to it bushies ( of which I was not one) just went for the fat. We lived like that for 6 months of the year and no one was ever sick (although I had the runs a fair bit - the other blokes seemed okay though)
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker