Lup chong/Lap cheong (Chinese sausage)

Food topics, including recipes.

Lup chong/Lap cheong (Chinese sausage)

Postby Strider » Sat 17 Aug, 2013 11:49 pm

Have seen this mentioned a few times on these forums. Who has cooked with it? How did you use it? Does it need to be cooked thoroughly?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Lup chong/Lap cheong (Chinese sausage)

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sat 17 Aug, 2013 11:57 pm

You need to go to bed, all this crazy talk, too late, what the hell?!.......lol
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 12:12 am

I bought a 12 pack of these today for my walk at Freycinet next weekend and want to know how to cook them Matt!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 9:47 am

I've used them at home, not walking though. Good idea! They will keep well without refrigeration and are a handy size. Slice them up and fry them a bit to add to a one pot wonder, use them as you would chorizo, or perhaps as diced salami in something. Good to add to couscous or rice or noodles with fresh or dehy veges for a bit of protein fat and flavour.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 4:44 pm

I use them at home and found it best to steam them whole for at least 15 mins prior to slicing and adding to my Fried Rice,
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 6:53 pm

They are ready to eat but the flavour (lots of oil/fat) won't come out until they are heated. Then it's quite yummy.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 8:40 pm

The Wing Hong brand I purchase advises the 15 min steam cook ,would not be keen to try them just as purchased heat treated and they are hard as out of the packet ,that is just my take on them .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby gayet » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 8:50 pm

corvus wrote:The Wing Hong brand I purchase advises the 15 min steam cook ,would not be keen to try them just as purchased heat treated and they are hard as out of the packet ,that is just my take on them .
corvus

I agree with the 15mins steaming for home use, but I have also sliced them straight out of the pack , fried them for a bit (releases some of the fat) then added them to other things. They soften up much quicker when sliced and frying first reduces the fat load and adds the flavour to everything else. A faster more fuel economic solution when camping. Does need a sharp knife tho. :)
gayet

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:26 pm

Not much of a Physicist however find it difficult to see how a dried product can fully reconstitute by just frying , especially when as you suggest it reduces its fat :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:28 pm

corvus wrote:Not much of a Physicist however find it difficult to see how a dried product can fully reconstitute by just frying , especially when as you suggest it reduces its fat :)
corvus
It's not a dried product, just vacuum sealed. Isn't it?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:29 pm

GPSGuided wrote:They are ready to eat but the flavour (lots of oil/fat) won't come out until they are heated. Then it's quite yummy.
Packet says "must be cooked".
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:31 pm

I am thinking of using it in a curry dahl. What if I add it to the water while bringing to the boil, and leave in once the dehydrated curry paste and split peas are added?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:38 pm

It is dried but with a high fat content and I didn't say it
can fully reconstitute by just frying ,
but initially dry frying slices will render some of the fat and then add what ever else you are having - the slices will soften up in the moisture available from what you are using. If little moisture, add some. Slicing before steaming reduces the amount of time taken to reconstitute. I use this method often when in a hurry. No ill effects and just as good as steamed for 15 mins first.

The best thing you can do Strider is try some options at home first. See which you are happier with and go with it.

Add it to the water and leave it in. You could slice it up to make it more manageable when the rest is nearly ready. Sounds good!
gayet

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:41 pm

By all means boil it but I personally would chuck out the water and add the snag later .
It must be a dried product as it sits on the Supermarket shelves not in the Deli or chiller section :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:41 pm

By all means boil it but I personally would chuck out the water and add the snag later .
It must be a dried product as it sits on the Supermarket shelves not in the Deli or chiller section :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:45 pm

What do you mean chuck out the water, Corvus? Are you saying boil then remove prior to adding back into the meal later on to reheat?

What if I dry fry for a couple of minute to render some fat before adding water, then bring to the boil before adding the other ingredients.

Understand I need to try this before I go, but I'm really just trying to gauge how much cooking is actually required. If I take them out of the vacuum packaging, how might I store them and any idea how long they will last?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 10:48 pm

Strider wrote:What do you mean chuck out the water, Corvus? Are you saying boil then remove prior to adding back into the meal later on to reheat?

What if I dry fry for a couple of minute to render some fat before adding water, then bring to the boil before adding the other ingredients.

Understand I need to try this before I go, but I'm really just trying to gauge how much cooking is actually required. If I take them out of the vacuum packaging, how might I store them and any idea how long they will last? $9.70 for a 12 pack of these things - don't want to see any of them go to waste!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:01 pm

Strider wrote:What do you mean chuck out the water, Corvus? Are you saying boil then remove prior to adding back into the meal later on to reheat?

Understand I need to try this before I go, but I'm really just trying to gauge how much cooking is actually required. If I take them out of the vacuum packaging, how might I store them and any idea how long they will last?

Once out of the vacuum pack I've kept them in the fridge for months. Well beyond the use by date but that wasn't deliberate, they got lost in the back. Still perfectly OK. Don't throw out the water - it can have a lot of flavour - try it at home first find what works for you. Be prepared for something rather hard straight out of the pack though. The dry frying is gentle, you aren't out to scorch the bits just warm them enough to render a bit of the fat then add water and simmer gently, as you would the dahl etc. It really will be a case of find what works for you. Steam one whole for 15 mins, gently dry fry one in slices till it renders a bit or just add sliced straight out of the pack to the water you are going to cook the dahl etc in, then go from there. If you cook them for longer than 15 mins they are unlikely to fall apart so don't worry about that. It isn't necessary to dry fry them, I prefer to because I like getting rid of some of the fat.
gayet

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:05 pm

Yes boil and remove prior to adding into your meal is what I am suggesting I suspect dry frying would toughen them up more (the flavour can be interesting ) as for storage once I open the pack the unused ones go in the freezer :)
My best advice is to half one and experiment at home :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:12 pm

What issue might you expect with leaving it in while the rest of the meal cooks? It could hardly dry out?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:18 pm

I love 'em. They're best sliced 3-4mm with stir fried noodles: ginger, garlic, chilli, chicken, bok choy, egg, carrot. My wife eats them raw :roll: I quite like them steamed, bushwalking method- you could slice them, with 2mm of water in a pot and bring to the boil to cook them through for 2-3 minutes. 15 minutes is definitely unnecessary if sliced.
*they aren't actually raw, they are a cooked product along the lines of salami. Just a bit different. If you are going to Freycinet, I suggest cooking up a feed of noodles before you go and just reheating them that evening as the food is unlikely to spoil at this time of year.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:33 pm

Yeah no probs on the first night, but doing a very slow circuit walk over three days. See it as a good opportunity to start making some more risky changes to my bushwalking menu. I have a dehydrator but have never done full meals in it before - has been in the family for about 20 years and has mainly done duty for dried fruits, yoghurt and recently a fair bit of jerky. Am going to trying making a curry dahl tomorrow and dehydrate as a test. Anything other than simple soups or carb loaded meals will be a welcome change!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:40 pm

well slice some and heat them through an asian noodle packet soup (ie. tom yum) with any vegetables you care to carry (carrot, bok choy, spring onion).
Last edited by doogs on Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:41 pm

Actually, speaking of which, I'm going to have a crack at dehydrating some veggies too. Asian noodle soup is the other dish I'm going to experiment with :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:53 pm

doogs wrote:well slice some and heat them through an asian noodle packet soup (ie. tom yum) with any vegetables you care to carry (carrot, bok choy, spring onion).

Why would you bother with the Snag and carry fresh (carrot, bok choy, spring onion) or have I missed something :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Strider » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:58 pm

Yeah that doesn't quite add up does it - my attraction to lup chong is its unrefridgerated longevity. Something [most] fresh vegetables will never be good at.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 6:46 am

corvus wrote:
doogs wrote:well slice some and heat them through an asian noodle packet soup (ie. tom yum) with any vegetables you care to carry (carrot, bok choy, spring onion).

Why would you bother with the Snag and carry fresh (carrot, bok choy, spring onion) or have I missed something :)
corvus

Freycinet circuit over 3 days... I wouldn't be eating much dehydrated rubbish :-/
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 7:38 am

doogs wrote:
corvus wrote:

corvus

Freycinet circuit over 3 days... I wouldn't be eating much dehydrated rubbish :-/
I'm just keen to try something new and eating it at home is no fun!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 8:54 pm

Well I sliced and steamed the lup chong today, then gave it the chop in the food processor to aid dehydration. It's certainly an interesting flavour! Has been in the dehydrator since 2pm along with some curry dahl - will attempt to rehydrate some tomorrow for lunch.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Tue 20 Aug, 2013 8:19 am

why rehydrate something to then dehydrate it?? .....and lup chong with dahl sounds...er..different..
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Bush Tucker