Paleo camp food suggestions

Food topics, including recipes.

Paleo camp food suggestions

Postby zhenjie » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 4:27 pm

Interested to hear some suggestions for camp/hiking foods that would suit a paleo diet.

If you are not familiar with Paleo (aka cave man diet), it basically eating raw natural foods like Meats, vegetables, nuts, seeds. Excluding grains, legumes, diary (for some), etc.

I tend to do a lot of tuna/dehydrated meat with dehydrated veggies. Looking for some more creative ideas.
zhenjie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Paleo camp food suggestions

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 7:55 am

Hi, I just did a search and found a breakfast suggestion with almond meal, flax meal, almond milk, cinnamon, maple syrup an blueberries

That's about it though
There are a couple of paleo duet followers here on the forums though, so they may see your post and reply
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby vieve » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 11:21 am

I try and follow a Paleo diet most of the time as I find my body functions better if I eliminate grains, legumes, etc. although as I don't actually have any allergies or intolerance's I do sometimes find myself eating non-Paleo when hiking for convenience. At the moment most of my hikes are either day hikes or overnighters so I am not overly concerned about the weight of my pack. Some of my regular food items are:
- Paleo Banana Bread (banana's, dates, tahini, eggs, coconut flour, bi-carb, etc.) either for breakfast and/or a snack. I find this usually travels pretty well.
- Paleo Nut Bars. These are similar to a muesli bar and make a good breakfast or snack. I cook up a batch and then vacuum pack them into portions.
- Leftover roast meat & vegetables (lots of sweet potato). I often have this for lunch on the first day.
- Fritata with sweet potato, vegetables and whatever else I have in the fridge. Again, this is a good lunch for the first day.
- Sachets of tuna/salmon.
- Protein Balls. My recipe varies based on what I have in the cupboard but usually nuts, coconut, pepitas, sunflower seeds, raw cocoa powder, maybe some dates or figs, etc.
- Jerky.

I find dinner is the most difficult as most of the commercially available dehydrated/freeze dried foods use either pasta or rice as a base. I don't mind eating these every now and again although I am hoping to buy a dehydrator sometime soon so I can experiment with my own paleo creations. Looking forward to seeing what suggestions others have....
vieve
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Picaro » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 10:36 am

Quite a few folk get excited about pemican, although I havent got around to trying it myself.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby zhenjie » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 10:52 am

vieve wrote:I try and follow a Paleo diet most of the time as I find my body functions better if I eliminate grains, legumes, etc. although as I don't actually have any allergies or intolerance's I do sometimes find myself eating non-Paleo when hiking for convenience. At the moment most of my hikes are either day hikes or overnighters so I am not overly concerned about the weight of my pack. Some of my regular food items are:
- Paleo Banana Bread (banana's, dates, tahini, eggs, coconut flour, bi-carb, etc.) either for breakfast and/or a snack. I find this usually travels pretty well.
- Paleo Nut Bars. These are similar to a muesli bar and make a good breakfast or snack. I cook up a batch and then vacuum pack them into portions.
- Leftover roast meat & vegetables (lots of sweet potato). I often have this for lunch on the first day.
- Fritata with sweet potato, vegetables and whatever else I have in the fridge. Again, this is a good lunch for the first day.
- Sachets of tuna/salmon.
- Protein Balls. My recipe varies based on what I have in the cupboard but usually nuts, coconut, pepitas, sunflower seeds, raw cocoa powder, maybe some dates or figs, etc.
- Jerky.

I find dinner is the most difficult as most of the commercially available dehydrated/freeze dried foods use either pasta or rice as a base. I don't mind eating these every now and again although I am hoping to buy a dehydrator sometime soon so I can experiment with my own paleo creations. Looking forward to seeing what suggestions others have....

Thanks for the suggestions vieve, going to try making some protein balls. I also see myself resorting to carby meals come hiking for convenience (especially for multi-day hikes where I cant keep fresh foods).

Last trip I experimented with dehydrated meat and konjac noodles. Konjac noodles were great tasting however low in calories and are packaged with water so heavier than dry foods :(
zhenjie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby jackhinde » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 9:09 pm

a hiker on a true palaeo-diet shouldn't really take any food into the wild
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 11:46 am

I don't know Jack, jerky and pemmican are very Paleo as are air dried fruits and nuts are OK in most diets
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby jickham » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 4:28 pm

I also try to follow a Paleo like diet... And haven't tried it hiking yet, but for me I find it's just easier going giving in to a good quality low GI rice for the hike. Maybe search for people who hike with celiac disease, their diets are gluten free, so that might at least open up some recipes closer to paleo.
jickham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Bush Tucker