Soylent... Has any one tried this stuff?

Food topics, including recipes.

Soylent... Has any one tried this stuff?

Postby Bubbalouie » Sat 07 Dec, 2013 10:33 am

So this just came up on my RSS feed today:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/12/ ... elease/#p3

I enjoy a good meal, but I can definitely see value in this when hiking. Perhaps not as a sole source of nutrition but it could be a good compliment to other foods to help get a little extra fuel into your body.

Has anyone here actually tried this stuff yet?
Last edited by Bubbalouie on Sat 07 Dec, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Soylent... Has any one tried this stuff?

Postby Strider » Sat 07 Dec, 2013 10:35 am

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Bubbalouie » Sat 07 Dec, 2013 11:04 am

Strider wrote:Have a read of this prior discussion

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12786&p=174542&hilit=soylent#p174542

Thanks.

Interesting, almost every comment on the previous post seems to very strongly dislike the idea (or focus on the infamous book connection). On that basis it is perhaps naive of me to expect someone to have tried it before it's available through "normal" retail channels.

I personally kind of like the idea, but I have some very strong reservations about how well it could work for people who are extremely active. I find getting the 13,000-14,000kj I need per day when hiking requires me to be eating a lot more of the day than I care to do.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby LandSailor » Sat 07 Dec, 2013 6:03 pm

Bubbalouie wrote:Interesting, almost every comment on the previous post seems to very strongly dislike the idea (or focus on the infamous book connection). On that basis it is perhaps naive of me to expect someone to have tried it before it's available through "normal" retail channels.

I personally kind of like the idea, but I have some very strong reservations about how well it could work for people who are extremely active. I find getting the 13,000-14,000kj I need per day when hiking requires me to be eating a lot more of the day than I care to do.

Agree..I find it strange that the most of the rubbish available in supermarkets designed purely for taste, shelf-life and profitability only is seen as superior to something that is solely designed for optimum nutrition. That just seems to be the way it is on the internet, any new idea is always shot down. Compared to the very limited food that is often taken on bushwalks I find it hard to believe that something like Soylent wouldnt be vastly superior in nutritional terms.
Whether you would eat it permanently or enjoy eating it is something different but I do think it could be very useful in particular situations. To me it is just taking the same approach to food as is taken to ultralight gear.
Maximum benefit for minimum weight/effort.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 08 Dec, 2013 10:13 am

Google a commercial / Industrial food product called Promate. A texturised soy bean isolate, long and stable shelf life and the protein is easily assimilable
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Bush Tucker