Pumpkins

Food topics, including recipes.

Pumpkins

Postby Nuts » Fri 13 Dec, 2013 6:16 pm

This time of year life seems to become an endless relationship with food, fussing over things no ordinary person would.. Yesterday was all about drying Pumpkins.

Iv'e tried and failed a few times, a big messy job that left various chewy pumpkin (or sweet potato) chunks, slices or 'mash leather'. I gave most of it away or ate it on the odd private trip.

So anyway, I think I might have it sussed, something worth sharing with other pumpkin lovers (hmmm, maybe this is just too weird, even for bushwalkers Lol).. I took a pic anyhow and a few words don't take long..

Really, for an active average walker, especially family, a few hours work and a few days drying stuff would
a) save a small fortune b) taste like food. Almost anything appears possible with the right technique.

1. Big pot, water almost boiling, in goes the Whole Pumpkin. That's right, drop the whole thing in there. Iv'e tried parts, chunks, pre-mash, whole is the go, they take up a bit less water (internally) and there is just no need for any work yet... Simmer, 1/2 hr or so then, when soft-ish - test with a fork- yet still holding together pull it out (the pumpkin), split in half and scoop out the contents with a spoon. No chopping, no mashing, it pretty much should be mash scooped straight from the shell, a few stirs in a bowl can help.

2. Spread thin on dehy trays (preferably trays covered with something eg. kitchen paper but it's not essential, not hard to clean up). Dry on a high setting for 20- 24hrs.. this is the stage iv'e been to before. The stuff doesn't seem to dry, stays rubbery.. I think I stopped at around 30hrs once, it could take days to get bone dry (if at all?) Curiously the (now) leather appears to dry as it cools, perhaps the moisture is drawn back in.. o'well, It actually IS dry enough to process.

I have tried various processors for mash, meals items and soups before... somehow a coffee grinder (spindle not burr type) will do the job while blenders iv'e tried won't. Been through a few so invest in a decent one for powdering dehy.. a spice & herb grinder from a food equipment company is the latest ($65). The stuff, even still slightly rubbery, will turn to powder. As I suspect other 'rubbery' dehy would.

Here's the result from drying one whole pumpkin | one decent sized pumpkin= around 170g's.. they hold a Lot of water:

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 5.45.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 5.45.56 PM.png (421.44 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
Last edited by Nuts on Fri 13 Dec, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pumpkins

Postby Tortoise » Fri 13 Dec, 2013 6:30 pm

Cool! I might toss a few pumpkin seeds around the vegie patch this year after all. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 13 Dec, 2013 6:37 pm

I'll say! Low maintenance, that's the key! Let me know if you end up with spares..

If anyone can add to this go ahead, I tend to take the path easiest traveled.. I can miss things :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MartyGwynne » Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:01 am

I've had a good result from cutting the pumpkin into thin slices about 4-6 mm thick then blanching boiling water for a few mins then drying in drier or oven. They dry crisp and rehydrate quite well without going to mash which I like.
But great idea to cook a whole pumpkin though.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Dec, 2013 5:37 pm

Never tried boiling a whole pumpkin but often roast whole to intensify the flavour
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 14 Dec, 2013 6:43 pm

I guess a few "guides" will appreciate this new pumpkin method :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Sat 14 Dec, 2013 8:47 pm

I really like these simple aspects of the 'outdoors', ie drying pumpkins.. no spin, the results are progressive and have substance.

We were using sweet potato mash Corv, just a bit over these supermarkets deciding the source, what we are entitled too and when they will release products... where they will come from.. Yes, definitely not something i'd want anyone humping around fresh.. while looking the part, even a couple of small ones balancing an aarn pack would be a knee killer..

All this dried stuff has pretty intense flavour moondog. We work with a chef (off and on), I look forward to seeing what she thinks of the comparison as i'm always impressed with the taste. Maybe I could roast the next one for the ultimate pumpkin bliss :)

hmmm, might have to try slices again for another meal marty. I wonder if rehydrated fried chips would work. This (powdered) had the intention of a no-cook side dish, re-hydrated with just adding water like DEB. It forms a traditional separated meal with other dried ingredients, not necessary for us but the whole meal could be done from one pot.

Edit: 'simmer'.. I had some passing thoughts about boiling and exploding pumpkin(?)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MartyGwynne » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 7:22 am

Pumpkins will only explode when cooked whole (possibly killing a few people and wiping out a whole town) on television....
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 7:36 am

It was a passing thought, I don't watch a lot of television. Was that mythbusters? I do like mythbusters.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bush Tucker