Cooking utensils

Food topics, including recipes.

Cooking utensils

Postby drakkar » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 6:19 pm

searched but could not find....

Looking around at cooking utensil's at the moment (mostly an egg flip) but other recommendations are most welcome. The few I've looked at in store's all seem to be too small to be of any real use. But I don't want to carry around kitchen gear either.

Secondly carrying cooking oil, or making the old ally pan that is with my trangia kit a little less sticky. I was just planning on using a portable shampoo type bottle. Is there any other solutions?
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Cooking utensils

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 7:01 pm

When car camping I use some MSR folding utensils, if you're good at Tetris you should be able to fit them in the Trangia once you're done using them too.

I used to use them hiking and found they weren't too heavy.

Re. the oil, perhaps a small dropper bottle is an option (check eBay maybe) if the shampoo bottle doesn't work for you. I've found the Trangia Teflon pan doesn't need oil, mine's 3+ years old and has held up well so far.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Mark F » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 7:19 pm

container.JPG
Squeeze container
container.JPG (49.65 KiB) Viewed 15184 times

These sorts of containers work well for oil. About 6 grams from memory for 100 ml capacity. Just keep it in your pot to avoid too much accidental pressure. You will find them in various sections of any supermarket.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 12:46 pm

That is a fantastic idea! We have no shortage of those lying around...
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby calliejane24 » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 9:29 am

Drakkar, I am looking for the same and I have turned up these - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/cookware-accessories/alpine-utensil-set/product. I think they might be what Bubbalouie is talking about.
calliejane24
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby MartyGwynne » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 7:39 am

My spatchula / egg flip is a wooden one from ikea, I could not see one listed on their web site but any of them would do from a kitchen place or supermarket. They should be very cheap, I cut the handle down to fit in my large trangia which also made it as long as my other knives/forks etc and fits in my cutlery dilly bag.
I also use it as a small cutting board, to drain water out of the pot as it has holes drilled into it (strainer).
I use a small Nalgene bottle to keep oil in for cooking if I need to use oil. Duck fat or lard is also good as it is usually in solid form in the cooler climates.
I also carry another tiny Nalgene bottle with dish washing liquid in it.
I would also recommend you try dry frying at lower temps or just frying with water instead of oil (less mess).
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 8:19 am

calliejane24 wrote:Drakkar, I am looking for the same and I have turned up these - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/cookware-accessories/alpine-utensil-set/product. I think they might be what Bubbalouie is talking about.

That's them exactly, my Trangia is the smaller model and as before it all can be made to fit (just). When hiking I did leave the strainer/grater behind though.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Orion » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:36 pm

Cascade Designs used to make a much smaller volume (235 ml) Platypus bag. That's what I use for oil. It never leaks. But they no longer sell them so it's nice to see these supermarket items are available as a future replacement.

I received an Edelrid spatula as a gift. It fits onto the fork side of a fork/spoon combo utensil that came with it. It's small but works okay for cooking eggs.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby drakkar » Sat 21 Dec, 2013 9:22 pm

MartyGwynne wrote:My spatchula / egg flip is a wooden one from ikea, I could not see one listed on their web site but any of them would do from a kitchen place or supermarket. They should be very cheap, I cut the handle down to fit in my large trangia which also made it as long as my other knives/forks etc and fits in my cutlery dilly bag.
I also use it as a small cutting board, to drain water out of the pot as it has holes drilled into it (strainer).
I use a small Nalgene bottle to keep oil in for cooking if I need to use oil. Duck fat or lard is also good as it is usually in solid form in the cooler climates.

I really like the cut down egg flip with strainer holes. A smallish plastic one from coles/woolies/etc should be perfect.

Did try the water trick, but didnt work so well cooking pancakes. Have a couple of nalgene bottles here for shampoo with screw lid's. Hopefully I can get that taste out :lol:

My trangia is the pot with the simple frame. The bulk for the full kit is simply to big for my bags (cycling) taking the frypan on this trip is going to be a bit of a novelty.

Thanks for the reply's so far.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rurik » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 12:21 pm

Too make it a little less sticky I brought a BBQ liner (sort of like a sheet of Teflon) and cut it to fit my fry pan. Is is starting to degrade after a few years of using it but it is cheap enough to replace.
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby icefest » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 9:33 am

Hardly counts as an utensil, but I just bought this ikea paring knife for weekend trips where I don't need a huge pocket knife. At 27g and only 2$ it's hardly a huge investment.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40287665/
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:11 am

Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bush Tucker