Potato Flakes

Food topics, including recipes.

Potato Flakes

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 12:08 pm

I've just discovered potato flakes. They're similar to Deb, but better (ie, they don't taste exactly like fresh mashed potatoes, but are a lot closer to the real thing than Deb is - much nicer!).

And they're absolutely instant. I poured 2 cups of boiling water into 2 cups of potato flakes, then stirred, and it was ready to eat immediately (3 medium serves). I did stir through a bit of butter also, just to give it that extra creaminess and flavour that I think mashed spuds need. Replacing a bit of the water with milk would probably work well too, I'm guessing.

I found them at "Wholesome House" in Mowbray (Launceston) and thought I'd give 'em a try. They weigh almost nothing and cost almost nothing. They may be available in other shops too, but I've never noticed them before.

Now I've just got to think of something nice to go with them when I'm walking. What's good to carry on a bush walk that will go well with mashed potatoes (apart from surprise peas)?
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Potato Flakes

Postby Joe » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 6:33 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Now I've just got to think of something nice to go with them when I'm walking. What's good to carry on a bush walk that will go well with mashed potatoes (apart from surprise peas)?

Add some dehydrated corn and carrots and some forth valley butcher smoked chicken drumsticks and you got a great meal :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Re: Making Deb edible!

Postby corvus » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 5:53 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:In fact I've only ever taken potato (powder, flakes, or similar)

Tell us more about the potato flakes are they OK with just water salt and pepper or do they really require butter and milk powder.
Saw some Edgell potato flakes when I visited Simplot Chip Factory the other day and got all excited ,turns out they are produced in USA for making Hash Browns just add water and corn flour shape and fry ,sadly they are only available in commercial quantities but it would be nice to do on a car carry standing camp .
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 7:50 pm

I've only ever bought the potato flakes from "Wholesome House" - a health food shop in Mowbray, Launceston (and Deloraine, I believe?) - where I discovered them. I don't know where they're made, but you can scoop whatever quantity you want out of their bucket.

I've only used them twice so far, and only ever added just boiling water, and sprinking a little salt and pepper. They were fine that way, but I think they would be much improved with butter and milk (as are fresh mashed potato).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 8:19 am

PS. I may as well bring some this weekend, so you can see for yourself. I'll drop into the health food shop on the way home from work and see if they've got any (they'd run out last time I was there).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 9:46 am

while i am still sans dehydrator and sans time to take corvus up on his kind offer of using his, I will be popping into the local health food store this week to stock up. Ill see if burnie has dehydrated potato flakes :D
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Return to Bush Tucker